Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
perception of employers is americans are lazy and got lots of attitude.
they would prefer an illegal mexican worker.from where i am standing this is
not a wild accusation.
I would have to agree with you Huckleberry.....

we don't tend to have a lot of illegal immigrants here (we have some, but not the hoards that the West Coast and Texas/Arizona have...for obvious reasons)....but you're right....Americans have become kinda snotty (generalization here)....and such a sense of entitlement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
perception of employers is americans are lazy and got lots of attitude.
they would prefer an illegal mexican worker.from where i am standing this is
not a wild accusation.
Employers in your neck of the woods may think that way, but they certainly don't up here. Employers are offering a really decent wage and can't get anybody. And they won't go with illegal aliens.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekape View Post
Wow, I'd have to say that was a little uncalled for. My point here is that high school kids graduate and expect to get paid big bucks....someone has to start at the bottom...I did, I'm sure ElkHunter did, and WyoMama....(correct me if I'm wrong). But even all the open jobs are paying WAY more than mimimum wage and no one will work. Everyone expects to be paid at the top end of the spectrum. I've worked YEARS at the low end of the spectrum....then I went back to college and got a better job....now I'm furthering my education to get a pay increase.....that's how it works in the real world (at least here in Wyoming).

Another point is that (and I believe ElkHunter has mentioned it in other threads)...people these days want everything RIGHT NOW....on credit and "I'll worry about paying for it later"....that has put such a drain on our economy. No one pays cash anymore....no one works, saves, and THEN buys. We've become such a greedy, money-hungry, "STUFF"-hungry society that we think we HAVE to have the 4-wheelers and boats....instead of taking care of the house/food.

So all your sarcasm is wasted here.....please try to post something intelligent and though-provoking rather than snide and unproductive.
NICELY PUT!!! Yes - first job was McD's; grad'ed from high school & 1 yr waitressing, school & into the med field. then brain injury & back down the ladder, but kids are grown & gone, house paid for, so is OK. I know ppl of all ages who won't work for less than $10-15 an hour - and I have a real lack of respect for that mindset - but have known that mindset for over 30 years. Once somebody earns the big bucks (like in Wyo during he building / coal mine boom in the 1970's) they won't accept lower wages to get by until they can work their way back up. But a LOT of those ppl that I knew personally dropped out of school to move up to Wyo to get those jobs until they ended & then were just high school drop-outs & drunks. Never saved a dime. So, you have choices - young & everybody else also, needs to make the right choices w/their money, be frugal, GET AN EDUCATION, and work hard. That is maybe old fashioned, but it worked for a few thousand years before 1965....

Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Employers are offering a really decent wage and can't get anybody. And they won't go with illegal aliens.
with the exception of our newest xxx-mart....they were shut down TWICE during construction for having hired illegals under the table.....but part of that is because they couldn't find locals to work for the $10-12 they were paying!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekape View Post
with the exception of our newest xxx-mart....they were shut down TWICE during construction for having hired illegals under the table.....but part of that is because they couldn't find locals to work for the $10-12 they were paying!
Oh I understand that it's happening. Casper, Wheatland in the ag business, and what not. But we don't see it up here, yet. But it's probably going to happen.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,894 times
If something could be done about Sheridan's lack of affordable housing, alot more people would be willing to go there to work. Myself and my husband included.

I was very interested in getting an RN job there (the hospital was looking for RN's thru a national agency that contacted me) but when I found out about how hard it is to find housing, I didn't pursue it any further.

I'm not even picky - a 2bd apt or mobile home would be fine.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
If something could be done about Sheridan's lack of affordable housing, alot more people would be willing to go there to work. Myself and my husband included.

I was very interested in getting an RN job there (the hospital was looking for RN's thru a national agency that contacted me) but when I found out about how hard it is to find housing, I didn't pursue it any further.

It'll get better soon. This summer there are 2 subdivisions going in with approx 50 homes in each. Then there's a couple going in with 15-20 homes. A couple of developers have applied for permits to build this winter also. So by this time next year, it should be looking pretty good.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 AM

430 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post

Check West Park Hosp - they would help you find a place too...desperate. Employment at West Park Hospital, Cody, Wyoming - they would be willing to work with you I am SURE. You could find something temporary to give you time to find something more comfortable. (The hosp owns a couple or 3 or so houses too & they may consider putting you up for a month or so....usually for docs but are in dire needs of RNs...is my old employer, asst dir of med records & med staff coord.)

Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM

41 posts, read 143,666 times
I've read these posts twice now, started to write a few times and quit until now. I'm still in central (rural) PA where good paying jobs are far and few between unless you have a great education and can afford to travel out of the area to work. This area use to have quite a few manufacturing plants, trucking industries, etc but those days are long gone and what is mainly left seem to be the min. wage jobs. We will be relocating to WY soon and are glad that the bigger industries and all the people that go with them are NOT there. It wouldn't be Wyoming then - wide open space, the wildlife, scenery - heaven on earth. My husband will be retiring but we both will be looking for jobs (smaller businesses and don't need the big bucks) after we get settled in. I guess we both have worked our way up the ladder - lost good paying jobs and had to start over again more than once, but during that time learned not to buy on credit unless we had the money to pay for it and to save for that 'rainy day", something that I don't think the kids/young adults know how to do these days - including my kids. I think it's pretty much everywhere in the states - it doesn't matter on training, skills or education; no one wants the lower paying jobs - it's our society

Old 06-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Does anybody reading this thread consider $25-30 per hour, a low wage job?

Is anybody reading beyong the first line of each post?

It's been said, over and over, that we can't get workers for our jobs that are paying $25-$30 an hour. And yet, several times, posters have said that "Well, you know, people don't want the lower paying jobs."

What does one consider NOT a low paying job?

Todays teenagers graduating highschool, don't take these jobs for $25 an hour because, gosh, they'll have to work. I mean really work. Outside. And get dirty. And cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming