U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 06-07-2008, 11:22 AM

12 posts, read 22,775 times
Default Do you think the energy sector destroy Wy's Enviroment

To all dear "Wy-ians": As you know, Wy is the biggest coal production, state, biggest coal burning power generation state. I heard a lot of news about Wy-ians complant about oil drilling their backyard. First of all, I am a enviromentist, I believe climate change. I feel sad that the oil compay will destroy the beauty of WY and Alaska BEACUS OF THE THIRSTY DRIVING HUMMER. I hope I can do something to improve the enviroment but I am one of the 200 millionth citizen like everybody else. What can I do??? WELCOME ANY SUGGESTIONS, COMEMTS, AGRUMENTS, ETC !!!!

Unread 06-07-2008, 12:16 PM

16,839 posts, read 19,579,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kq6ee55 View Post
To all dear "Wy-ians": As you know, Wy is the biggest coal production, state, biggest coal burning power generation state. I heard a lot of news about Wy-ians complant about oil drilling their backyard. First of all, I am a enviromentist, I believe climate change. I feel sad that the oil compay will destroy the beauty of WY and Alaska BEACUS OF THE THIRSTY DRIVING HUMMER. I hope I can do something to improve the enviroment but I am one of the 200 millionth citizen like everybody else. What can I do??? WELCOME ANY SUGGESTIONS, COMEMTS, AGRUMENTS, ETC !!!!
Don't know where you got your facts. Wyoming is NOT the biggest coal burning state.

Well over 90% of Wyoming and Montana Coal is shipped to Pennsylvania and the North East. Penn's coal is high sulfer and they have to have millions of dollars worth of scrubbers to keep it environmentally legal. By burning Wyoming coal, low sulfur, they don't need the scrubbers.

I haven't heard anybody complain about drilling for oil. Not mentioned in the paper, not mentioned over the back yard fence.

We've done a lot of environmental cleanup and planning over the years and the last thing we need is amature environmentalists trying to put in their 2 cents worth. We pay big bucks to get the experts.

Unread 06-07-2008, 03:04 PM

144 posts, read 394,670 times
Quote:
Almost everything you "believe" about Wyoming and it's people is wrong.

If you really want to save Wyoming's environment, you can start by living anywhere but here.

Unread 06-07-2008, 03:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,053,731 times
Quote:
i'm not sure where you are from,its apparent that its not wyoming or the united states.i will agree with what the others have said that you dont seem to know anything about wyoming or those who live there.my suggestion is that you go find a place that wants and needs to be saved.wyoming is doing just fine.

Unread 06-07-2008, 08:35 PM

434 posts, read 921,720 times
We have - let me count - 4??? coal burning plants. My ex is about to retire from what was the largest producing electric power plant in Wheatland next year after 30 years. Jillions of $$ were spent on air scrubbers; 3 units & 2 have wet scrubbers that had already proven themselves for several years before building that plant that went "on line" in 1980 (we moved there long before the 3rd unit was built to get it ready). Unit 3 uses a dry scrubber that was COMPLETELY new technology in 1981 & finally after a few years got the bugs out & all 3 units can run full bore and if you see anything coming from the chimneys, is steam. Guaranteed. There is a brown cloud heading towards Cheyenne from the Colo. front range & there are some gassification plants apparently (per another post on this board) where there is sometimes a bit of a cloud. But just as an example - the WyoDak plant in Gillette has their own mine across I-90 from it. They auger the coal straight over to the plant. There are 400 coal cars of coal going to Wheatland everyday to generate for the grid every day from Gillette. The Bridger power plant is pretty good sized & the Dave Johnston plant outside Glenrock is puny by current standards & I have never in 40+ years seen any smog coming from it - I believe it is the oldest plant in Wyo. So what sort of stuff ARE you hearing about? Yeah - there are some really rich ppl in Clark (isn't really a town but there is a bar & I think a school - not even a post office) about 30 miles north of Cody who cries about it but when the owners bought their property they apparently failed to see who owned their mineral rights. Yeah, sometimes companies put in a well on property but at this point most are being capped off once drilled. And they have been successful in several fights to stop the drilling. Many ppl drill in THEIR OWN back yards. Where are you? It sure doesn't sound like you have ever even BEEN to Wyo!!!

Unread 06-07-2008, 10:17 PM

12 posts, read 22,775 times
Default calm, calm down, and relax everybody !!!

Please look at the web site www.wyoming.sierraclub.org/issues/erergy/index.html (broken link), Citizens Protecting the Wyoming Range: Home, and http://ourpublicland/about/wyoming (broken link).

Unread 06-07-2008, 10:51 PM

434 posts, read 921,720 times
Sierra Club??? Gee what a shock.........

Unread 06-07-2008, 11:03 PM

How many coal fired power plants does it take to service 500,000 people?

We sell a lot of electricity to Colorado because they can't fend for themselves.

Also, you can go by any of our 4 plants and you will see absolutely no smoke. You'll see steam from the heated water, but no smoke.

Unread 06-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Please look at the web site www.wyoming.sierraclub.org/issues/erergy/index.html (broken link), Citizens Protecting the Wyoming Range: Home, and http://ourpublicland/about/wyoming (broken link).
The sierraclub link is dead. Doesn't go anywhere. So is the last link on ourpublicland. Doesn't work. Might try posting them again.

As to the link on Citizens Protecting the Wyoming Range. That's a pretty small area that they are concerned about and it's literally over 100 miles from the nearest power plant.

But that link was interesting. If you've been reading the other threads you'll notice that that is exactly what all of us are saying. We're moving too fast and need to slow down, analyze exactly what it is we hope to accomplish, plan it out better and then execute. Instead of haphazardly throwing things up.

For instance. Everybody says drill, drill now. Ok, then what? We don't have enough refineries. Nothing has been built in over 20 years. The current refineries are full up. If we drill, what are we going to do with the oil?

I did find it interesting that the Citizens Protecting the Wyoming Range were a group of outfitters that guide and hunt that particular range. They're not concerned with the rest of the state, only the area where they make their living. If they loose that area, they'll have to find work elsewhere.

Unread 06-07-2008, 11:19 PM

264 posts, read 694,757 times
Angry Coming un-corked...

I thought this may be a good thread to bring this up in...

Anyone read about this in the paper? The biggest thing going on right now for methane out here is the BLM wanting to enforce new regulations on CBM development, specifically changing the well spacing to one per 500 acres vs. one per 80 acres as we have it now. First of all, one per 500 acres can't be done unless something like horizontal drilling is brought in. That sounds great, but it will ultimately drive up the cost of the gas coming out of here.

Anyway, this is all being done to "prevent the sage-grouse from being placed on the endangered species list", as environmentalists have said. I have one question. If the sage-grouse is in danger of being placed on the endangered list, why hasn't the Fish & Game department suspended the hunting season on them? Or better yet, why did they increase the bag limit on them last year to two?

As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the BLM doesn't even employ biologists for these studies. They've gone to Montana, a state that resists allowing CBM development, and had university professors (LIBERAL INSTITUTION) do their reports for them down here in WY where CBM is huge. But Wyo Fish & Game DOES have biologists on their staff...interesting.

Sounds to me like this is all just an agenda by the Sierra Club and other environmentalists to shut down methane in this state and keep driving up the cost of energy for all of us. Why don't they start a hunting season on tree-hugging hippies??? 10 bag limit sounds like it would get things back under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming