Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:52 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,887,646 times

Advertisements

My husband applied for a job in JH and then looked at the housing prices! The chances of actually getting the job are pretty slim, but once they make a decision, things move pretty quickly, so I thought I would post this now. He works for the Forest Service and I stay home with the kids so our income doesn't come close to matching up with the $500,000 homes on the realty sites. Fortunately, my husband just found out government housing is available. But what about everything else? Are groceries expensive? Is there a Target or thrift stores? What is the school system like? Is there nearby communities where it is cheaper to live?

Thanks for humoring me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 AM

382 posts, read 932,044 times
You will not get a home in Jackson in your price range. You will be looking in Alpine or over the pass in Idaho.

Jackson has a KMart. Most bargain shopping is done in Idaho Falls. We make the trip every 3 -4 weeks ( 1.5 hours each way).

We live in Alpine, (45 minutes away). It is an easier commute and the taxes are less than Idaho. We deal with the Forest Service alot and most new employees who do not get employee housing live down here.

The school system is good( or so I hear). Be3tter in Jackson than here but still good.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the info. I still don't know if JH would be a good fit for us. We are hoping for the next move to be the last, but you can't live in government housing for the rest of your life (can you?) and with our kind of budget, can we afford the commute? Does Alpine have a nice community? We are looking for a small town. I don't mind the drive to a bigger city to do shopping. We use to live in Ely, MN and would go to Duluth every 1.5 months or so. Actually, its pretty nice--we kept a running list and then spent the entire day there. It made it into an "outing", plus I think we actually saved money that way.

Does anyone know the class divisions of the school system in JH? If we got the job and took govn't housing, would our sons be the paupers of the school? Add into the problem that we don't have a TV, cell phones, video games, or any of that techie stuff (obviously we have a computer, though!).

Old 06-22-2008, 10:43 AM

46 posts, read 363,228 times
Here's a report you might find interesting: Jackson Hole Real Estate and Appraisal | Jackson Hole Report

Be sure to check out the 10-year graphs, one of which indicates that the average sale price for a single family home in Jackson Hole last year was almost $1.8 million. http://www.jacksonholereport.com/arc...n.yr.chart.pdf

To me, the prices seem to be in the "if you have to ask..." range.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the report CM. What a scary report it was, especially the "whether you are for or against affordable housing..." WHAT?? How can someone be against affordable housing? Really--where do all those million dollar house owners think the people that work at the grocery store, hospital, restuarants, stores, etc. live?

Thanks for the postings. I think after only two reply posts, I am going to officially say no to JH, if my love even gets the offer. We have a permament here in AZ (although we don't want to stay here) to bide our time. Its hard to say no to such a beautiful place, but there are many beautiful places in this country! Our hope is to live and work in a small, community-orientated town where we can bike or walk to work and grocery store, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like JH will quite fit the bill. Maybe if we didn't have kids, we could live there for awhile...

Old 06-22-2008, 12:59 PM

430 posts, read 1,616,111 times
Basically if you HAVE to work & aren't doing it just for something to do....yeah, you will be in the range of "paupers" in JH. Is over the top expensive. Alpine is a ways from JH & depending upon what you drive (and it better be able to take snowy/icy roads as your drive from Alpine will be along the Snake River) & how the gas continues in the future wioll be the answer as to whether you can afford it. I PERSONALLY would not make the move because of the cost of living there & the likelihood of owning my own home is next to nil unless you win the lottery. I live in Cody, which is one of the few places in Wyo that can compete with Jackson for cost of living (Sheridan is catching up but not quite there yet I don't believe). If I moved here now it would take an act of congress for me to have been able to buy a home & I worked 2 full time jobs (making about $25 an hour combined/average) for 18 years & live in a "cave". But it's paid for....Another year or 2 later than 1990 (when we did buy) there is no way we would have been able to pull it off. Really think hard before making that move. Alpine is a great, SMALL town & is at the north end of one of the most beautiful areas of Wyo - Star Valley. But if shopping is important to you, which it doesn't sound like is that big of a deal to you, then is not for you. It is hard for ppl to believe how far from an interstate or mall a personal can survive! LOL!!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMama View Post
It is hard for ppl to believe how far from an interstate or mall a personal can survive! LOL!!
I know! My MIL's idea of something to do is to go shopping! We currently live in an area with 40,000 people, a mall, Target, Walmart and strips malls everywhere--I hate it! So many people, too! The only positive part is the big grocery store... and the soft play area in the mall (its 100 degrees right now--I'm roasting!).

Although, if he did get the job and they still had govn't housing open, waiting for a better place to "settle" would be more fun there than SE Arizona, where we are right now.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 PM

430 posts, read 1,616,111 times
OMG - I would die 1000 deaths in AZ....I'm in Cody. Is in the 70's today but by Tues or so is supposed to be up in the 80's....dreading that. But at least we have relatively short summers

Old 06-22-2008, 01:35 PM

I know, but we could potentially be here for awhile, so I've got to keep the chin up, stop complaining and deal with it! My heart lies in northern MN, with -20 winter mornings, cold lakes, and a small, remote town... thats why Wyoming sounds like a pretty decent substitute!

I've been told that this is AZ's "hibernation" period, just like, I was told, winter is in the northern areas. Except, I've never been good at hibernation! Just today, I was thinking I need to take the boys hiking today, then I remembered the weather... I'm already getting "cabin fever"!!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM

35 posts, read 103,438 times
Your heart lies with -20 degree mornings?! You sure are a cold hearted woman :-) I don't like the cold much but sometimes you have to make a compromise. I'm pretty sure if the climate was more mild here in Wy then it'd just be another rat race disaster like so many other parts of the country. Mother nature is a great gate keeper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming