Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 21,538 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Gillette Wyoming to be with my boyfriend. I am 29 with two kids I have lived in San Diego California my whole life so I am a little scared of being in a different state that I dont know much about. I would like to hear peoples views on Wyoming who live there. Thanks

Last edited by aprilstruffert; 07-04-2008 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 11:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
There's nothing to be scared about. The indians stopped attacking wagons years ago.

What, in particular, are you wanting to know? If you cruise through the threads here, you'll find a wealth of info about Wyoming and Gillette in particular.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:32 PM

46 posts, read 364,920 times
Have you spent any time at all here? I'm originally from here, so moving back after having lived in Pasadena for many years isn't such a culture shock for me. But it is VASTLY different here than there. You owe it to yourself to come out to see what you're in for, especially in the winter.

But following up on what ElkHunter said, if you ask more specific questions, you'll probably get more useful input.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Wyoming and San Diego are both in the western United States. There any similarity ends. Culture, climate, economy, ethnicity, attitudes--all different. Yes, you sure had better visit and see if it is your cup of tea. I'm a native of the Rocky Mountain region and have lived in the rural areas of the region for most of my life--so I liked Wyoming just fine. You, though, need to consider the fact that there are more people probably living within 25 miles of wherever you are standing in San Diego than there are in all Wyoming, all 97,000+ square miles of it. The two biggest cities in the state each have less than 70,000 residents--just over a half million in the whole state. A "town" can be anything with more than a dozen people.

You will also find the climate almost anywhere in Wyoming the virtual opposite of San Diego. Wyoming climate and weather is seasonal, sometimes violent, hot, cold, and sometimes dangerous. In most of the state (yes, certainly in Gillette), the wind can be a frequent companion. It is not for those who desire year-round pleasant and benign weather.

All of this gives Wyomigites a very independent, direct, and sometimes blunt demeanor. This is in no way to say that Wyoming people are not some great folks--some of the best people I have ever met are Wyomingites, but Wyomingites still have some of the "Wild West" attitude within their character. Few of them are in the wine and brie crowd--it is more of a shot-and-a-beer kind of place.

Come visit--you'll probably either love it or hate it, but you'll know.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:56 PM

208 posts, read 909,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilstruffert View Post
I am moving to Gillette Wyoming to be with my boyfriend. I am 29 with two kids I have lived in San Diego California my whole life so I am a little scared of being in a different state that I dont know much about. I would like to hear peoples views on Wyoming who live there. Thanks
I'm originally from the Central Valley.... I know it's Norcal vs Socal, but I can help you out if you want. I lived in Cody when I was younger and I've been in Gillette for a while now. Shoot me an email at lance@laksupply.com if you want to talk more. I'm a sales rep for a local industrial supply company and my wife is a Realtor, so between the two of us I think we can probably answer most any question you have.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:25 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
The climate change from San Diego will be the most obvious and striking difference for you in Wyoming, as you simply cannot ignore it ... it's going to happen and affect you every day.

A major difference would be the temperate climate of San Diego ... I know many people in the area who think everything's freezing over when the nightime temps are 10-15 degrees lower than the daytime and it's dropped all the way into the low 50's or mid 40's.

My SOCalsailing buddies won't go out on 50 degree "winter" days, although my fishing friends will bundle up and brave the elements in Carhartt's and layered sweatshirts. Many sailors in San Diego think conditions are "extreme" and unsafe ... "small craft warnings are out" when the wind get to 12 mph. That's not even a gentle breeze in most of Wyoming. And bundling up in Carhartt's isn't something you do until the weather is truly cold ... maybe in the freezing range if you're working outdoors.

But when you step outside in Gillette and it's well below freezing temperatures ... the breaths you take will seem like you're searing your lungs with cold air. And that may be a daytime high temperature for many days in a row.

I'd strongly recommend that you "visit" the Wyoming area during the fall and winter months before making any permanent committment to moving out here. It's a lot more than just a culture shock .... it's an entire paradigm shift of self-reliance, independence, resourcefulness, and having to live according to many other factors beyond your control (things which are of little consequence in SoCal ... like the weather. Even a Santa Ana heat wave passes in a few days ... while a cold spell here can last for months). It's simply not comparable to going up to Big Bear or Apple Valley or Cuyamaca to see the snow in the winter and then being able to return to a warmer clime in a matter of a few miles.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
I don't live in Wyoming or California (I was checking here for my own possible moving options), but I did spend my entire childhood in the same small town, and have now spent the last 12 moving 10 or so times. I have also met a lot of people from large cities visiting my hometown or the other small towns I have lived in. Through that, I want to give you one point of advice:

Although it is a natural, and for awhile, a continual thing to compare San Diego with your new home, don't do it outloud. People in small towns often have had to deal with cityites either looking down on them or assuming we are behind the times (or whatever else). So comparing SD to Gillette will probably not go over well. However, if you humble yourself, admit when asked that it is different but you are trying to get use to it, people will warm up to you and you will find yourself enjoying the town more.

I have lived in eight different cities and four different states since leaving home and I can say that everywhere I have lived there have been positives and negatives. And when I move, I usually only remember the positives. So that is how I look at things now--what am I going to miss the most. I don't like where I'm living now, but I'm trying focus on the good things (and trying really hard to deal with--and not whine about--the 100 degree heat!! I'm a cold weather baby!).

Old 07-05-2008, 05:35 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,990 times
A few things that will be new to you:

1. The climate. In the mountain western states, the weather can change suddenly. Real suddenly. You don't see many sudden changes in weather in San Diego, because you have the Pacific Ocean that acts like a huge "flywheel" and keeps your weather much more consistent.

You also don't have many tornadoes in San Diego. Gillette has already had a couple this spring. They seem to have a couple every year, from records for Campbell County. Even without the tornado issue, they can have some real nifty thunderstorms. That's just normal.

Winter is what winter is in Wyoming: cold, windy and sometimes real snow. Not just a few flurries, but real accumulation. Sometimes it comes down so hard that you can't see where you're going if you're out on the roads. Sometimes the wind blows pretty doggone hard, and if it is cold before the wind started blowing, when you put a 40MPH wind and 0F temperature together, you'll learn what they mean by "wind chill factor." Translation: Darned cold.

2. Living in a big city like SD, you're used to everything you can think of for shopping being very close by - no more than a 20 minute drive. Gillette is a town of about 20,000 people or so, but if you want to go to a Costco (for example), you have to accept the fact that there is no Costco in Wyoming. There is no Costco in South Dakota, which is just east of Gillette. There is no Costco in North Dakota.

The nearest Costco is in Billings, MT.

So if you want to shop at some of these big, brand-name stores, you'd better get used to driving. Billings isn't too far -- it is about a 3+ hour drive, one-way.

That's one example.

There's shopping in Gillette, of course, but you won't find many of the "big box" stores there.

Same sort of thing applies if you're used to having easy access to all sorts of highly specialized medical services. If you're used to shopping for all manner of fashionable clothes, you're going to be driving even more.

3. In small towns, I've always heard big city folks keep asking "What is there to do?!"

Well, fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, bird watching, off-roading, ATV/dirt bikes, etc. There's plenty to do.

Much of this isn't what big city folks are used to doing for entertainment.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
Most everybody forgets to tell people from places of humidity/high humidity moving here. That they will experience almost no humidity. And alot less pollen activity in most of wyoming. So less troubles with sinuses. The fine dust is a problem for some though.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,842 times
I grew up in Oregon, my mom grew up in San Diego a good portion of her childhood and still has some family over there...

I would definitely suggest a visit, just to see if it is your cup of tea.

I don't mind the winter, dust, or weather, to me big name stores if I need to go I can order order online or drive the 120 miles to Billings from where I live. I love the small town life and love the climate out here. But I have had some family that visit me that either really love it, or hate it.

I have been told that many times by people you will either love it or hate it here.

Really depends on what kind of culture you prefer....

If you like the larger crowds and lots of big name stores, it may be a hard adjustment.
If you don't mind mom and pop stores and a only a few big name stores, and being 100 miles from the nearest town, then Wyo won't be too hard of a shock. Really depends on what kind of lifestyle you are after. Lots of outdoor activities here, the rodeo is a big event. We don't have all the conviences and it is a slower pace here... but it is a great place to live, depending on what you are looking for..

Best of luck to you, let us know if you have any other specific questions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming