U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2008, 02:29 PM

29 posts, read 71,056 times
Question The Arora / nrthern lights Gillette Wyoming

Hi -

Anyone know if you can ever see the northern lights in the winter in Wyoming, or is it just a Alaska thing?

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:42 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,836,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewest View Post
Hi -

Anyone know if you can ever see the northern lights in the winter in Wyoming, or is it just a Alaska thing?

Thanks to all.
Yes, you can see the Aurora Borealis in Wyoming...I've seen them in the Summer as well. Best viewing is in the late fall to early spring, and it is best if you are out of the city limits - though a few years back in November then the following May, they were visible even with city lights.
Wyoming is considered mid-latitude, Alaska is high latitude...often if the lights are visible in Wyoming, they are low in the horizon. Here are a few sites for you - you can monitor the activity and they will let you know if there are chances for viewing in mid-latitude areas....

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Solar Terrestrial Dispatch - Leaders in Space Weather Forecasting Services

If you go through the Wyoming picture thread, Cloudfish has posted some excellent images of the Aurora over Casper.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:45 PM

355 posts, read 957,890 times
Depends on where we are in the sunspot cycle, how intense the magnetic storms are, etc.

If we have a really intense magnetic storm, you can see the northern lights in New Mexico or Texas.

Long story short: Yes, you can see auroral activity in Wyoming; you will likely see more auroras in northeast Wyoming than in western WY, and more along the northern border than the southern border. Will you see as many auroras in Wyoming as you would in Alaska? No - Alaska is just so much closer to the polar region that they're going to see the aurora with much lower levels of magnetic storm than it takes to see the aurora in the lower 48.

Here's where you can get a much better idea of what it takes to see an aurora:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/Aurora/index.html

Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,974 times
Default northern lights

I've seen then twice in Wyoming - once at Alcova Lake, and once driving between Wheatland and Casper. Very Cool.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:32 AM

329 posts, read 692,904 times
I've seen them when I lived in Fremont County....not as intense with colors and such....but beautiful none-the-less!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,875,311 times
I too have seen them. It was in the Bighorn Mountains twice in the fall. Across Red Desert north of Wamsutter if I remember in Early December.They were there several nights. The last time was when I was driving between Evanston and Rocksprings on Valentines day-night in 1995.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming