U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM

8 posts, read 14,429 times

Advertisements

Wamsutter Softball and Basketball Tournament will take place Saturday August 16th.

Annual Town Picnic September 17th. Events for kids, good food, Ribbon Cutting for Futz Drive, Grand Opening Celebration for the Skate Park and a special panel discussion "Building the Wamsutter We Want".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM

15 posts, read 42,607 times
Wamsutter,
Thank you very much for your reply. It was filled with some great info. My husband actually played at the ball fields and he was very impressed. I know once he starts seeing some of the growth you are talking about, it will be much easier to convince him to move.
I am a bit concerned about the high school situation. Do the children miss alot of school or possibly have to stay in Rawlins when the weather gets bad? Please don't think I was being offensive when I used the term "stuck", I did not mean that in a bad way.
Again, thank you for your reply. I'm not there, but I am definitely excited about the growth of your community!!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 14,429 times
Default more of life

Hello TXMOM,

No offense taken about the stuck comment. I was told upon moving here to make sure and have plenty of supplies on hand in the winter. I drive a small car and believe I only left Wamsutter once or twice last January - of course my work keeps me in town most of the time plus I really don't care to white-knuckle it on I-80 in bad weather.

The high school situation is a big dilemma for anyone moving here from more populated areas. With the growth of population we can have a high school. There are times when the roads are bad and the principal will not send the bus to Rawlins. Also if weather turns bad during the day the students do have to spend the night there. Most parents have their children stay at a friends house when this happens. Sending children to school 40 miles away is a concern; as a parent I completely understand, mine is still in elemetary. Residents that have lived here for years think nothing of it and are used to it. But a high school definitely has to happen to encourage people with teens to move here. Another worry is the Rawlins high school. Recently there has been a lot of growth in gang activity. Baggs would be the high school of choice and we do have people that keep another house in Baggs so their kids can attend high school there.

I think last year there was at least 1 or 2 times the kids had to stay in Rawlins and I know of at least 1 time the Wamsutter principal didn't send the kids. I will check with some parents and see how often this really happens.

Please feel free to ask any other questions.
Wamsutter

Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM

17,895 posts, read 22,600,907 times
Even in Sheridan, this happens. As my kids grew up and moved out, I found spare rooms. So I run an add in the paper for school kids stuck in town. I rented the room for $50 per month. The kid could stay there all month, or just when weather stuck them in town. I rented that room solid for 3 years. It was in great demand. If the kid got stuck in town, or even if it was questionable, or even if they just had to hit the library until late at night. They could crash here. Plus, we fed them supper and breakfast. They had a bathroom to use with a shower and tub. So it was advantageous for their parents to rent the room. Price was right and it gave them piece of mind.

When weather was questionable, they'd come here and then call their parents and tell them they was staying in town. Not a problem.

I thought I was being very generous. Till I got to talking to folks and I met several people in town that do that. haha It's a common occurance in this country.

I met the parents, they looked the place over and was tickled to death that their son or daughter had a safe haven during a storm. They didn't have to drive that 30 miles of dirt road to try to get home and then try and get back into town in the morning.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 14,555 times
life in wamsutter will make you want to commit suicide.

i broke down on the way through in 95 (when cell phone technology doesn't really exist and you breakdown on a wyo interstate you are basically ****ed. good luck getting interception in many spots anyways) and the experience of staying in a hotel there was right up with every bad horror movie cliche you could think of. what a dump.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,322 times
High school is in Rawlins 39 miles to the east, they are bused and what I've seen of the school it has more educational values then the ones we left in Midwest. As for the water, a new tower has been put in and the smell has decreased but there is still a shortage. Living/housing here is a JOKE!!!! Trailer/RV court America!!!! Rents outragous & the new housing, I hear is selling for $200,000 & ain't worth 1/4th of that amount but everything here is jacked up due to the oil boom. Life here is good if your a bar fly! The money is crazy & thats the only reason we're here. Jobs are plentiful if you want to work & don't care what you live in. You have no real address, mostly General Delivery. Most of the people here are really nice. But then you do have the greedy/rude high class ones who snub you. The general meeting place is the Desert Bar & the people there are pretty down to earth. And on the positive side, you are located in an area that you can take part in many road trips in any direction & see some of the most beautiful country you will ever see (such as Seminole State Park, Snowy Range Mountains, Kilgore Sand Dunes, Saratoga hot springs, etc) & Colorado is only 50 miles south of Wamsutter. We do have one of greatest city parks I've ever been in, If they would only spend more money to clean up the town & the trash dump on Dads Road.

Last edited by life in wamsutter; 08-16-2008 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: forgot to add city park comment

Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,324 times
I just wanted to add my thoughts on Wamsutter. I used to live there myself in the 80s and attended the elementary school. My father was a pastor at the Baptist Church and I loved it there. At the time my family lived there, they were adding alot to the park and it was one of the best I've seen even back then. The school and its faculty were great - probably one of the best schools I ever attended (and as a preacher kid, we moved alot). The winter was difficult, but you made provisions and kept on going. The winter will be difficult no matter where you live in the state. The countryside is beautiful. I've only been able to visit once since we moved, but my daughter got to visit several years ago with my dad and she loved it as well.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,608,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarpenter View Post
I just wanted to add my thoughts on Wamsutter. I used to live there myself in the 80s and attended the elementary school. My father was a pastor at the Baptist Church and I loved it there. At the time my family lived there, they were adding alot to the park and it was one of the best I've seen even back then. The school and its faculty were great - probably one of the best schools I ever attended (and as a preacher kid, we moved alot). The winter was difficult, but you made provisions and kept on going. The winter will be difficult no matter where you live in the state. The countryside is beautiful. I've only been able to visit once since we moved, but my daughter got to visit several years ago with my dad and she loved it as well.
This post is from back in August, Feel free to start a new post or contribute to the newer threads. Welcome to the forum

Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 7,324 times
Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
This post is from back in August, Feel free to start a new post or contribute to the newer threads. Welcome to the forum
Sorry for replying to an "Old" post - just found the website

Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 PM

11 posts, read 19,007 times
Smile I lived there in 1982

so i was woundering who you might be??? my parents had moble tire and repair. jj6746901@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarpenter View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming