Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,908 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Rock Springs with my family because my husband just accepted a job in nearby Point of Rocks. I'm a stay at home mom to 4 kids, 3 of them are in elementary school. I've been combing through posts for a few weeks now about Rock Springs and they seem a little conflicting.
We currently live in Salt Lake City, UT, which is about 3 hours away. My husb & I drove to Rock Springs for his interview & poked around for a short while. We feel good about the move & career change, but I sure would appreciate a little friendly advice. A few questions:

I'm a little scared about the housing market. Is it really that bad? We are looking for a seller-financed home because in the last 6 monthes our credit has gone from the 800's to 'in the toilet'. How difficult is it to find a home to rent? We can come to RS for a week on the company's dime to look for housing. They will also put my husb up in a hotel for 30 + days. Any advice about house-hunting? I've read that Green River is more 'family friendly' but i'm concerned about the extra time that would add to the commute to Point of Rocks, especially in the winter.

Thanks so much. I'm a little scared, this is our first move away from family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 AM

105 posts, read 447,911 times
Since your talking about Point of Rocks I am assuming the your husband got a job at Jim Bridger either coal or electric. I have friends that work at both and they all enjoy it and seem to get payed real well as well. As far as housing goes it is going to be real expensive to find a place to rent or buy for that matter. I do know some realtors down there that maybe able to help you out. If you would like their names just write me a message and I can give you thier names and numbers.

As far as commuting goes yes living in Green River will add time, but once your husband gets to know people there are people commuting from both communities so carpooling will be an option. I commuted from Green River to RockSprings for a long time wether it be for work or college. I also commuted for about a year from Green River to Wammsutter to work the oil rigs. I won't lie the roads can get pretty nasty but with good winter driving skills and common sense it can be done safely. Once past RockSprings there is a frontage road that will take you all the way to the Point if the interstate is backed up or real bad.

I prefer Green River when it would come to raising a family. When I was in School there was alot less violence and so called gangs that came into Rocksprings. The community and even students wouldn't really tolerate it so it kept out for the most part. Don't get me wrong there are drugs and groups that in my opinion Green River can do without but you will have that in any community. I feel that the school districts are safer and a "higher" level of learning can be acheived there due to less outside distractions.

All of these statements are just by personal opion and experience and not supported by factual data except for the housing part because I have seen the prices sky rocket since the "boom" came back into the area.

If you have any further questions please ask and I as long with others on this site I'm sure would be glad to help any way possible.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM

30 posts, read 97,219 times
I have found that Rock Springs is not dog friendly. There are no parks that will allow you to bring your dog, and renting is very difficult if you own a dog. I think that Green River rentals might be just as challenging to find a pet friendly place. At least you can take your dog to the park in Green River.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 50,337 times
There was something in the Casper newspaper not too long ago about the housing problem in the Rock Springs area. I guess they just can't build 'em fast enough for all the workers that are going out there. Plus, the prices for everything are going up and up and up! Lots of guys are in the hotels, too. Better check it out and make sure there's a place for you to live before you get out there. Would it be possible for your husband to go out there & work for a while before bringing the family? That's what we had to do last year, except my husband's job was near Rawlins. We got on a 10-week waiting list for a place in Saratoga, 40 miles away. (same story all along the I-80 'construction belt.')

Old 08-09-2008, 11:35 PM

592 posts, read 2,237,142 times
Just a thought, Coming from SLC you may be LDS ? If so contact the local LDS folks, they may be of some help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming