U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,608 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone!

This is my first post, so take it easy on this poor noob. I was recently hired for a job in Newcastle. I am originally from Michigan & I am in the process of finding a place to live. I understand living arrangements are very tight right now. I have a few leads but I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum from Newcastle or has frequented Newcastle that could lend me some advice on searching for apartments or mobile home units. I am only looking for something no more than $700/month.

Also I am curious as to what Newcastle the town is like. I have researched other threads but I am hungry for more information on this town and its "feel".

Any feedback would be most welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 03:36 AM

4,163 posts, read 5,923,466 times
This is what I consider my 'hometown'....
There are a couple of mobile home communities there, but the likelihood of you finding a home to rent is almost nil. They rent out quickly.
The town has approximately 3300 people - give or take. It sits under the Black Hills - only 7 miles to the SD border in one of the prettiest places. It has a couple of years old grade school and high school...and a middle school. Has two grocery stores, a dollar store, Pamida, a few gift shops, one movie theatre, two banks, four gas stations. There is a hospital, a clinic, a physical therapy clinic, and a mental health clinic.
Many people end up traveling 60 miles either north to Gillette or 60 miles north and east to Rapid City, SD or Spearfish, SD for shopping. I enjoyed the trips to Spearfish, traveling through Spearfish Canyon.

Weather wise - winter can vary, mostly it sits somewhat in a bowl so there is more of a 'banana belt' feeling. But it can also become quite cold and have a lot of snow - it just depends on the conditions. It can be windy at times, but it isn't a constant thing. Summers can be quite warm, days in the hundreds isn't uncommon. Thunderstorms can be severe. This year has seen quite a bit more rain than in previous years.

It does have a minimum security prison outside of town and a refinery in town.

It isn't far from areas to hunt in, fish, hike...

Give me a couple of days to find my phone books, I can get you names and such for apartments. There is a low-income apartment complex, but they have an extensive waiting list. There are a couple other places you can try.

Anything else, please don't hesitate to ask!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:19 PM

2,187 posts, read 4,235,262 times
Perhaps this GE image will give you some visual perspective.
SkiMRV Gallery (http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album33&id=newcas tle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=vie w_photo.php - broken link)

Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 PM

I shot this a few years ago, by the water tank looking down into Newcastle...sort of gives you an idea of what the area is like:

Old 08-24-2008, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
There are a couple of mobile home communities there, but the likelihood of you finding a home to rent is almost nil. They rent out quickly.
The town has approximately 3300 people - give or take. It sits under the Black Hills - only 7 miles to the SD border in one of the prettiest places. It has a couple of years old grade school and high school...and a middle school. Has two grocery stores, a dollar store, Pamida, a few gift shops, one movie theatre, two banks, four gas stations. There is a hospital, a clinic, a physical therapy clinic, and a mental health clinic.
Many people end up traveling 60 miles either north to Gillette or 60 miles north and east to Rapid City, SD or Spearfish, SD for shopping. I enjoyed the trips to Spearfish, traveling through Spearfish Canyon.

Weather wise - winter can vary, mostly it sits somewhat in a bowl so there is more of a 'banana belt' feeling. But it can also become quite cold and have a lot of snow - it just depends on the conditions. It can be windy at times, but it isn't a constant thing. Summers can be quite warm, days in the hundreds isn't uncommon. Thunderstorms can be severe. This year has seen quite a bit more rain than in previous years.

Give me a couple of days to find my phone books, I can get you names and such for apartments. There is a low-income apartment complex, but they have an extensive waiting list. There are a couple other places you can try.

Thanks for the feedback!

Very beautiful picture btw! I fell in love with the west after a couple of I80 runs to Oregon for a summer job and a much needed break from life in the "ghetto". Long story short when Wyoming recruiters showed up in my state my family and I made the decision to get out & settle there.

Anything you find from the phone books would be a godsend. I have mustered a few contacts but I will find out shortly how well they pan out.

Also from what I have researched online, there are no bus stations in Newcastle. Is this correct? Because I am taking a bus to Wyoming and it will only take me so far as Gillette. I suppose either I am going to either hitch a ride or buy some walking shoes.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM

No, there aren't any bus stations in Newcastle.
I apologize for taking so long to post some information on rentals and such...I have a couple but will look for more.

The Fountain Inn is owned by a lovely couple by the name of Patels - they have rooms in the motel that they rent out weekly/monthly, etc...but they also own an apartment building and some condos. Last I knew, all utilities including phone and cable were included in the rent for the apartment building. The phone number is (307) 746-4426. Real nice rooms.

Have you contacted any realtors? There is the Black Gold Realty company who list rentals now and then...their number is (307) 746-3655. Sometimes they know of others who have rentals.

I'll think of more, trying to remember some private rental owners for you!
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 08-28-2008, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 11,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post

I, too would like info regarding rentals. My husband just moved there due to a job opportunity and needs a rental.

Lovehorsessps

Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,777 times
Hello I was wondering if anyone knows currently of any rental homes, rent to own, or lease homes around newcastle. My wife, daughter, and I will be moving to Newcastle at latest the first of March with the Wyoming Highway Patrol. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 642 times
I see these were posted a while ago. - May be relocating to Newcastle - Anything now for apartments short-term or long-term?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM

17,952 posts, read 22,745,702 times
Welcome to the Wyoming Forum.

We don't have any regular users that live in Newcastle, however, we have a few that travel through there or to there on business regularly.

My cousing lived there for a while and I know there are apartment's that are available. You might google for realtors in Newcastle as they will be the ones handling rentals. It's very common in Wyoming for realtors to handle the management of rentals, be it house or appartment, as they are set up to do back ground checks, financial checks, etc...

Newcastle is a very beautiful area and is right on the edge of the Black Hills. Lots of opportunity for outdoor activity.

Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming