Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 AM

37 posts, read 165,929 times

Advertisements

Hey yall, I'm tranferring to Pinedale from Georgia next month!
I'm an LPN and I'm moving out there to help care for my Mom.
Any advice on how to get used to breathing the thin air there?
Any other info about Pinedale would be great. Thanks! Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:01 AM

592 posts, read 2,237,004 times
It's a great place, sort of a gas boom going on there. How long has your mom been there? Drink lots of water, be careful of the sun, take walks and you will start to get used to it.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 PM

Hey, my parents have lived there for the past 3 years and they really like it. I'm looking forward to the change from living in GA to WY. I'm looking to buy my first down parka!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 AM

And snowboots, longjohns,etc.etc LOL.
My family loves the area too, been visiting the area since the late 60's. We now have a couple of different pieces of land and love to fish in the Windriver range. Any chance you will be able to use your LPN skills outside your folk's house?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 PM

I might get a LPN job in Pinedale after Mom gets better, but she's gonna be a top priority for at least the next 6 months. I need to call about transferring my GA nursing license to WY if I wanna go work at the Pinedale medical clinic or nursing home.

I've been shopping online and sending my new winter wardrobe to my parent's house. Georgia's winters are so mild that all I usually wear is a wind-breaker or light fleece jacket. I have nothing suitable for WY weather, so I'm trying to get ready for it!

I hope Pinedale is a welcoming place. I know small towns can be cautious of new people moving into their areas. I know it's only natural for them to be wary, but I'll need to make new friends since I'm leaving my comfort zone and support system in GA.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 PM

47 posts, read 182,057 times
Is it particularly expensive to live in Pinedale?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:04 AM

Well I haven't lived there but spent a lot of time there. My impresssion is that there are a lot of "outsiders" moving into the area so you will not be the only one. Generally, in Wyoming, if you are a good neighbor you will have good neighbors.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:38 AM

Yes, there are a lot of "outsiders" moving into Pinedale, especially because of the oil/gas boom going on there. That's why my parents are there. He's worked all over the world and they've lived overseas for his job. They've enjoyed their time in Pinedale. I hope to do the same as well. I bought my first parka today! I had no idea they are so expensive, but I trust it'll keep me warm in the coldest weather.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:24 AM

11 posts, read 37,007 times
I just left Pinedale, WY for Hotchkiss, CO. I lived there for 3 years, a single 49 year old female. I was very lonely there. I thought it was "manville" but you don't meet eligible men around my age. Younger men reside in the man camps all hip hop groovy guys. The locals are angry and rude as they dislike their high paying dead end gas patch jobs. It is extremely cold with few birds and flowers as the town is surrounded by sagebrush. Fremont Lake is outstanding and is the best nature outlet. Solitude and big skies better be your forte. Rent is very expensive as the locals jack it up as the natural gas workers are rich. All rents are $1200.00 to 1800.00. Don't eat the fruit in the grocery store and the vegetables are wilted. Groceries are very expensive$$$. The 25 1/2 million rec swimming center is outstanding. Bring more than one coat---I wore 2 hats at once all dressed up like a fat mushroom.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,918,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEN121570 View Post
Yes, there are a lot of "outsiders" moving into Pinedale, especially because of the oil/gas boom going on there. That's why my parents are there. He's worked all over the world and they've lived overseas for his job. They've enjoyed their time in Pinedale. I hope to do the same as well. I bought my first parka today! I had no idea they are so expensive, but I trust it'll keep me warm in the coldest weather.
You'll find you're better off with lots of layers. It's nice and warm and typical of Wyoming warming up during the day you can shed layers and then into the evening start putting layers back on again.

I work outside most of the time and I wear denum shirt with sweater, then hoodie, with a jean jacket over top. Up to about -20 I'm fine. Just gotta keep hands, head, and feet warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming