Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM

108 posts, read 395,334 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is a new one for me. I saw the special on the Discovery Channel a few years ago, when supposedly they were deciding on whether or not it was true. Does anyone know if there's any "plans" if it erupts, or logically, can there really be any plans?? I don't know too muc on it, but it being North America's largest active volcano, and one of the largest in the country, it kind of freaks me out a little. Anyone with any information??? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
I remember that film...stirred a lot of reaction and alarmists had a field day. Yes, Yellowstone sits on a supervolcano. Whether or not it will erupt in the near future (meaning in the next couple of thousand years) is anyone's guess....certainly not something to deter whether or not you move to Wyoming. Alarmists love these sort of things, and while there is always a chance she could go, it more than likely is not going to tomorrow. There are scientists constantly monitoring it and all one can do is hope that a.) there is enough warning to get away or b.) providing that there isn't enough of a warning, it will be quick.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
always have a spare bag of marshmallows and some hot dogs

Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 AM

330 posts, read 1,095,459 times
Yes, it's true....and when it does explode...there's no exacuation....we're toasty,crispy critters....it will probably have devastating global effects. I'm not concerned in the least....when it's our time, it's our time and there's nothing that will change it.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 AM

72 posts, read 239,115 times
I look at it as having a most interesting science event in our back yard!

Check out: Volcanic history of the Yellowstone Plateau Volcanic Field, Wyoming

Use Google Earth to look at the ancient path of the hot spot up the Snake River Plain.

Try: Latest Earthquakes - Last 7 Days and you can see that Yellowstone, on a daily basis, is the least of our worries. It's just closer to home!

The Earth is LIVING!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:32 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABsMom View Post
Okay, this is a new one for me. I saw the special on the Discovery Channel a few years ago, when supposedly they were deciding on whether or not it was true. Does anyone know if there's any "plans" if it erupts, or logically, can there really be any plans?? I don't know too muc on it, but it being North America's largest active volcano, and one of the largest in the country, it kind of freaks me out a little. Anyone with any information??? Thanks
I wouldn't worry to much. There's a whole raft of documentaries that detail the "threats" to life on earth--plagues, mega-tsunamis, earthquakes, nuclear war, nuclear winter, asteroids, comets, global warming, global ice ages,gamma rays from space, solar flares, etc. etc. They're entertaining shows, but you're far more likely to die in a lightning strike or a traffic accident.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,178 times
Yep it's there . The geology of the area is fantastic. This is actually a giant stationary hot spot under the plates and the plates are moving westward over the top of it.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:43 AM

108 posts, read 395,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmckee View Post
I look at it as having a most interesting science event in our back yard!

Check out: Volcanic history of the Yellowstone Plateau Volcanic Field, Wyoming

Use Google Earth to look at the ancient path of the hot spot up the Snake River Plain.

Try: Latest Earthquakes - Last 7 Days and you can see that Yellowstone, on a daily basis, is the least of our worries. It's just closer to home!

The Earth is LIVING!!!
Wow, thanks, those were really interesting! I found that where I live now (which is close to the New Madrid fault line), odds are I was more likely to get hit with an earthquake here than an eruption when we go there. Also it said that it's only erupted three times, so I hope it stays at that number! I've always liked geology, so it's going to be a fun, kind of scary, trip to visit the park next Summer! Thanks again!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 AM

37 posts, read 166,354 times
Yes, it's true that most of western WY sits on a supervolcano site, but don't worry about it. We'll all be dead and gone before it erupts again. Go and enjoy Yellowstone. Just watch out for bears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming