Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,907 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am looking for some advice and for some information about the Wyoming/Montana area, in particular mostly about road conditions, during the month of October. I've been on a year long road trip all over the country. Ya, you read that right!!
My next stop will be Wyoming, mostly Yellowstone, and the Tetons, then on my way to Glacier National Park in Montana. I will be coming from Southern California, and leaving in the first or 2nd week of October--probably the 1st. I will then be leaving that area October 30th on my way back to California.
I have been trying to research this for weeks on end, but just have not found any real answers:
I AM SCARED TO DEATH THAT MY CAR WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE ROADS DUE TO THE WEATHER. What can I expect the roads to be like during this time period, the month of October? I am particularly concerned about driving on mountains that are covered in snow. Will I be facing a lot of this on my route? I was planning to drive up from Salt Lake City, Utah, straight to the Tetons, then straight to Yellowstone(all parts), then straight to Glacier in Montana, then back.
-Are the roads generally kept well plowed if snow occurs? What about on mountains if I am to face any? I am looking for the safest route to take!
-Can I expect paved roads or will I be facing a lot of maintained muddy dirt roads or mountains when I get to/near the parks? I know it depends on what I'd like to see, but I'm just looking for a general idea. All i really want to know is if the roads will be clear, paved, and ok to drive on, in and around & on my way to the parks.
-How much snow should I be expecting?
-What is the best route to take for the type of car I have?
-Generally, how dangerous are the road conditions during this month where I am headed, for my type of car?

I appreciate any advice you can give me so much!
I'm just really concerned about safety.
Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Could of sworn I put the type of car haha sorry!!!
2001 pontiac Sunfire

Last edited by InterstellarDust; 09-05-2008 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,049,707 times
You didn't mention what type of car you're driving, which could make a difference ...

FWD, AWD, RWD? For the most part, a car in good condition with all-season tires should have no difficulties with your planned trip. You'll be on paved roads unless you choose to divert off the main roads onto back country dirt roads, which isn't necessary for your trip.

However, in the month of October, there is always the possibility of snow in the high country. Typically, there's still a lot of warmer days and bright sunshine, so if a "dusting" of snow comes through, it will melt off the road pretty quickly without much affect upon your travels. If a major storm dump comes through, there's a likelihood of a road closure, or the plows coming out to clear the road as needed; this will be a minor inconvenience and you'll just have to wait it out for the day. Do something else to enjoy the time instead of sitting in your car and fretting about the delay and difficult driving.

As far as your trip plan, be aware that you're well past the tourist season for many of the places. For example, Yellowstone shuts down a lot of facilites at this time. You'd best check out their website for the specific closing dates rather than get there and be disappointed that places are closed for the season. Also, you're going to be headed into a very drab time of year for scenery ... past any fall "colors", with the deciduous tress having shed their leaves, and the ground cover well into dormancy (and brown color). It will be a stark landscape in many places.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,423,158 times
Wyoming's roads are generally well-maintained, and Wyoming generally does a good job of clearing snow on primary routes. That is not to say that you may not run into snow, snowpacked roads, ice, and/or blizzarding in October--especially in the mountains, but it is possible anywhere in the state by then. Years back, I drove on close to a hundred miles of snowpacked roads going from Kemmerer toward Jackson and Yellowstone in early October. It happens. Yes, there will be mountain driving. You may luck out and hit "Indian Summer" with no snow and warm temperatures, but you may not. When I lived in Wyoming, I carried a winter survival kit in the car from the end of September until the end of April. All I can say is that if you don't know how to drive on ice and snow, the Rockies are a lousy place to try to learn. Early season storms can be especially tricky because it is warm enough that snow falls, melts on the roads, and then refreezes into ice. Nasty. Ice is also slickest right at 32° F.

You do know that most of the lodging in Yellowstone is usually closing for the season by mid-October, right?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 AM

37 posts, read 166,089 times
Hey, you asked some great questions! I'm gonna be driving up from GA to WY in mid-October, so I've been wondering about the road conditions too.

I'm moving to Pinedale, about an hour SE of Jackson Hole, so I'll be driving across the state, heading west from Cheyenne.

I hope and pray the roads are ok. I don't mind driving through a dusting, but I'm not looking forward to a blizzard!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEN121570 View Post
Hey, you asked some great questions! I'm gonna be driving up from GA to WY in mid-October, so I've been wondering about the road conditions too.

I'm moving to Pinedale, about an hour SE of Jackson Hole, so I'll be driving across the state, heading west from Cheyenne.

I hope and pray the roads are ok. I don't mind driving through a dusting, but I'm not looking forward to a blizzard!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
1. Winterized vehicle--tires, anti-freeze, etc.
2. Winter survival kit (big thread on this a while back).
3. Check road conditions (WYDOT Travel Information Service (Laramie) ) .
4. Winter driving experience.
5. Cell phone--but there may be many places that it won't have service.

By the way, "Jackson Hole" is the valley--"Jackson" is the town. A sure way to get spotted as a transplant is not to know the difference.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 AM

37 posts, read 166,089 times
Hey Jazzlover, thanks for the info, especially about Jackson/Jackson Hole! My southern accent is gonna get me noticed, so I better be careful what I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming