U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 PM

11 posts, read 39,334 times
Exclamation Drugs (specifically) Meth in Cheyenne?

I want to move my family to Cheyenne. I KNOW that there are drugs everywhere...I just dont want to move my kids into a prominent Meth area. I already live in one here in AZ. My hubby's Brother died a meth addict at age 18. DO NOT WANT my kids to follow in his footsteps. Any advice would be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 2,810,693 times
Hi we moved from Cheytown about two years ago. In my experience meth is not something that's widely talked about and I didn't notice a huge meth problem there. Which isn't to say it isn't there, it's everywhere. But I didn't feel that it was as big a problem as it is in other areas. We live in Rock Springs now and it's a huge problem here, we see it everywhere, the way people act and look and things. Before we left Cheyenne it wasn't something I knew much about, but after living here in RS I am very educated about it. So I guess that's why I feel it's not dominant in Cheyenne.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:39 PM

11 posts, read 39,334 times
Thank you! I really appreciate the response!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 PM

18 posts, read 52,852 times
Default know how you feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive View Post
I want to move my family to Cheyenne. I KNOW that there are drugs everywhere...I just dont want to move my kids into a prominent Meth area. I already live in one here in AZ. My hubby's Brother died a meth addict at age 18. DO NOT WANT my kids to follow in his footsteps. Any advice would be welcomed!
unfortunately you are correct,meth is everywhere.here they are making laws to stop the availability of the key ingredients and it seems to be working.cheyenne may not be the best place for your kids unless you really let them see what meth does to people,are there any rehabs in your area that might let them see what it can do to people,i dont mean check them in just ask them what you can do to make your kids not want to even try it or any other drug.my brother killed himself with alcohol,long slow sad way to go.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 19,715 times
Default Meth in Cheyenne

I have lived in Cheyenne for the past 30 years. I would say that yes in the last especially five years Cheyenne's Meth problem has grown. I never really knew how horrible it was until last year, talking to a man that works at the Water Dept. here. He had asked a friend police officer of Cheyenne why it seemed like there were so many houses around Cheyenne that looked like they were being gutted. The officer told my friend that they were all houses that have been busted with meth labs. This officer also stated that they could work all the officers full all the time and still not be able to catch up with all of the meth problems in Cheyenne. Its not a visable problem so to speak but speaking with an old teacher of mine from junior high, she said we were angels compared to the 70 to 80 percent of the children in jr high now and on meth. They are working on it though but i would imagine its everywhere. I have a 10 year old and living here and hearing stories about 12 and 13 year olds using is making me look for a differnet place to live also. There have been several major lab ring busts here and there has also been a murders involving meth disputs and in areas of the town that were not considered bad areas. My best advice is to educate your kids no matter where you go. We also have a series of graphic commercials that run on the local stations reguarding meth use that involve brain slicing and peeling of the skin but they do get the message across. Its just not as visable like I said but it is still here.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 2,810,693 times
I am sorry, did you claim 70 to 80 percent of the kids in junior high in Cheyenne are on meth?? Come on now. That is a morbid excageration at best. Please clarify this.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 19,715 times
Default 5th grade math sneaking in my ears

Sorry Earniefan and everyone,
Thank you for catching that, my son is learning decimals and percents and was doing homework that day.
What she said was "70-80 of her students are doing it". How right she is I do not know.
Sorry for the confusion. That would be extremly scary, but no not the case. Let me just add that, Cheyenne has been a wonderful place to grow up. I feel very safe here, I just want what every parent wants and to keep my children safe. I know that meth is a problem, and its a problem everywhere but to hear a physical education teacher say that kids that young have been caught up in it scares me to no end. That possibility that in two years or so it could be that much more worse when my son is that age.
They just started working on the problem here not long ago by locking up key ingredients in the pharmacy, ads and so on. But like its been said education is the great key, educate yourself and then your kids and show them what it does not only physically but mentally. scary
Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:19 AM

22 posts, read 144,867 times
Newstories that run in Ohio usually site Wyoming/Montana as having a much greater meth problem than other places. Although I think the 70 to 80 percent (previous post)is not right, in my town with a pop. of 35,000 it is hard to find someone that doesn't "know" someone who has been effected by this drug. Meth is epidemic in the US and it is only a matter of time before these stories won't be naming just certain states.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM

19 posts, read 64,111 times
Wow, don't these kids have parents? When I was growing up, a school bus picked us up and deposited us at school which took roll, then brought us home in the pm where my mother watched us. We never were alone long enough to get into any trouble. And that gave the parents and the church sufficient time to teach us to be honest, contributing citizens.

If people don't plan to parent, why do they have kids?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 15,556,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sMyCountry View Post
If people don't plan to parent, why do they have kids?
Amen to that.

As to meth in Cheyenne, I'm sure that it is a problem--it is everyplace else in the U.S.,why would Cheyenne be an exception? That said, I don't think it is nearly the issue there that it is in many areas. It seems to me that meth use tends to be more common in areas that have a lot of broken homes, single parent families, and transient populations. Unfortunately, that describes a lot of Rocky Mountain West boomtowns and resort areas. Those places are undoubtedly skewing the meth statistics upward in states like Wyoming, Colorado, and Montana. Since Cheyenne is not a "boom town" or resort, my guess is that meth is not the problem there that it is in, say, Rock Springs or Gillette. Unfortunately, drugs are a problem everywhere, as others have posted. You have to wonder why so many people--especially so many young people--have such pitifully low self-esteem that they resort to drugs to feel better about themselves. Apparently, our hedonistic, materialistic, self-centered lifestyles are not satisfying some pretty basic psychological and emotional needs in today's population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming