U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 PM

108 posts, read 237,790 times
My family and I just moved here from Arkansas 3 weeks ago. I was nervous about moving because I wanted to stay close to my family and it's hard being some place where you don't know anyone and your closest family is 1100 miles away. It was the best thing I have ever done for my kids and I. I wouldn't change my decision for anything. It is gorgeous here, the people are nicer and I love the laid back atmosphere of the whole community compared to larger cities. I just took a deep breath and went in for the plunge.

Here is a suggestion. Sit down with your husband and devise a plan to move back home, or wherever you think you would want just in case you don't like it where you're going. Figure finances to save, and find a time frame that accompanies your finances. That way you both get a choice and at least you tried it. If you have kids, be sure and include them in the decision making process of moving. It's a big change and just because one person is scared, that doesn't mean that the other people should miss out. There should be a compromise to make everyone feel more comfortable, and know their input and feelings matter.

Just a suggestion, let us know how it goes! I really hope you are able to experience Wyoming, it truly is a wonderful place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 AM

49 posts, read 155,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABsMom View Post
My family and I just moved here from Arkansas 3 weeks ago.

I am curious as to where in AR you were? I was born and raised in north west AR for all of my life untill 2 years ago. I am now in Conway ( central AR above Little Rock) and am really wanting to go to laramie for wyotech. Mostly just really curious where in AR you are comparing the better experiance from

Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 27,115 times
Shaneevans1 you are in for a rude awakening in regards to the Morman community in Wyoming. I was born and raised here. I am raising three kids here right now. And I will tell you, if you have kids, or are a kid, you do too feel the Morman influence in this community. In the schools, if you try to make friends with the Mormans and are not Morman, they will shun you. My oldest daughter is going through it right now. If you are a parent, and you try to meet other parents, they had better not be Morman, or you will be ostracized. This community is especially guilty of clicks. The wives of the oil riggers from Weatherford, Slumber J, etc. stick together. The kids of the community big wigs stick together. If your last name isn't in the upper crust listing, forget about fitting in. That is why I am leaving this place. It is not the same town it was when I grew up here. My parents were born here. My mom's family came here on the wagon trains. But this town is not the same anymore. It is going through another one of its booms. And it is not the same town it once was.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 PM

175 posts, read 270,351 times
43bonnie does make a VERY IMPORTANT point. Some Mormons are not very accepting to others. When we lived in Texas, there was a nice family we knew that was Morman and we became somewhat of friends even though we weren't Morman. But this may be a rare case as I find because most of Texas isn't Morman dominated. Be sure you check the religion dominating factors of the town you move to.

But, another poster suggested something also VERY IMPORTANT as well. Make sure you can move if you don't like it. Make a plan and make sure you can have some options. I moved to an isolated area in New Mexico and I'm sure as heck glad our family had "back up plan" if all things failed. Because in our case, we needed that back up plan VERY dearly because the culture wasn't at all what we expected in rural New Mexico.

It's always kind of risky but exciting to move to rural areas but you need to have some back up! The "what if's" may never happen but you need to be able to change and go away if those "what if's" occur.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:55 PM

10,790 posts, read 17,551,869 times
Also realize that towns are very different in how the social dynamics play out. Rock Springs has been notorious for social issues, has a relatively transient population, and is quite close to UT, so a triple whammy. I wouldn't expect this type of activity in most places in WY, especially the further you get from UT. There are potential issues in small towns with powerful old-timers, but in general WY is plenty accepting and accommodating. (Your mileage (and personality type / sensitivity) may vary)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming