Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:16 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,063 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Houston is the "friendliest" city. No way. No how. Just left there....

We've been in Laramie for a week now, and we have been blessed with some of the most amazing neighbors.

Last night, we were invited to a bonfire, complete with hot dogs and s'mores. The kids were definitely impressed!

Today, our neighbor (now a friend!) took my husband elk hunting and then they cut wood all day so that we could have firewood for the winter. He has plenty, but we had none. Not only did he cut and load all that wood, he came over after the unloading to help cut it all up.

His daughter spent the night with our girls, and needless to say, I've hardly seen my kids. They are having so much fun, and we feel so safe. Much more safe than our old home of Houston.

This move was the smartest thing we've ever done!

Thank you to everyone on the Wyoming forum that offered such encouragement and sage advice. We are so blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
It's always nice to hear the final result. I'm so glad you hit it off with our great state.

Now, when it's -40 and the wind is hitting 60+ mph driving the windchill down to about -70 it will be interesting what your post will be like then.

But remember. When it's that cold out, "You don't have to go out."

Old 10-18-2009, 07:07 PM

88 posts, read 301,303 times
SHHHHHH Stop telling people. That way when I get there, it will still be the same way....LOL

I am glad you found what you wanted. I am interested in how things go for you in Laramie as I have UW on my list to go full time to after retiring from the military. Keep us informed about the winter and people there!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:18 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
I'm not surprised at all. The 3 times I've been there the people were almost scary they were so friendly. I realize it's my NY instincts kicking in and telling me to be careful of over friendly people. My fault, they are just genuinely so very nice. How I wish I could move there too.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM

Sadly, my husband and I don't really know what to do when people offer to help. Where we come from, people only help when they want something in return.

We're just being gracious and thankful to everyone, and will certainly return the favor!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,990 times
No, we're not. We're bitterly clinging to our religion and our guns and want outsiders to stay the heck out.

Quit telling people how "nice" we are in the west. Next thing you know, we'll be overrun with snot-nosed kids with nose rings serving over-priced coffee to oh-so-smug pinheads complaining about how long it takes the NY Times to arrive here.

Now go away, or we shall taunt you a second time.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Sadly, my husband and I don't really know what to do when people offer to help. Where we come from, people only help when they want something in return.

We're just being gracious and thankful to everyone, and will certainly return the favor!

That's kinda funny, but not unusual. There's a reason why I don't wave at people who have California plates. In central Nevada, where I'm from, everyone waves at everyone else - even if they don't know them. You can tell someone who isn't from the intermountain west because they don't wave. In Nevada, people take their whole hand off the wheel to wave; in Wyoming, it is two fingers straightened off the steering wheel.

Californians don't wave. At all. And when they stop in town, they get all flustered and start asking (in increasing octaves and decibels) "Why are all these people waving at us??!!! Are they trying to warn us about a speed trap? Is there some smoke coming out of our car? Do they want us to stop? Are these gun-totin' rednecks going to rob us?"

When they're told "No, folks are just being friendly..." you should see the utterly confounded look spread across their face. It is like watching a golden retriever looking at a tape recorder playing his master's voice. No comprehension of what is going on.... only this puzzlement of "How'd he get into that tiny little box?" That's about the look on Californians' faces when they're confronted with friendly people.

And when you try to help them when they're broken down... oh, that's a riot. They think they're going to be mugged, raped and then shot. I used to leave them with some water and just drive off after getting an earful of this.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM

380 posts, read 1,145,568 times
Default i need a friend(who has fire wood ;)

tell your nice neighbor friend someone from Calif. is moving to Cody and has no firewood!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Is he telling ME to go away?

NVDave, are you suggesting that I go away? I hope not, because I really love it here....it is everything that I wanted and more.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Is he telling ME to go away?

NVDave, are you suggesting that I go away? I hope not, because I really love it here....it is everything that I wanted and more.
I think NVDave was being sarcastic. At least I hope he/she was, but just in case he/she was being serious just remember he/she him/herself is a transplant.

Anyways, glad that you are finding WY to be such a warm, welcoming and friendly place. It sounds as if you are learning what neighbors should be like, which is being kind and helpful. Just be the same type of neighbor back to them and all will continue to be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming