Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times

Advertisements

Clay Lady ...

I'm a "two state" resident, too ...

and when I visit friends and their friends in California and allow that I'm from Wyoming .... I get the "why would you be out there with all those ... (hicks, rednecks, etc.)?" type response.

When I allow that I'm from Vail, CO .... everybody is just falling all over themselves about how wonderful that must be (and trying to invite themselves for a visit).

The difference in reactions is remarkable and pretty consistent. I've experienced the same prejudice when I've been in Oregon (Portland) and Washington (Seattle).

In view of the type of folks I normally visit and meet on the left coast ... very educated (and proud of it) people, I'd have to agree with the OP's position. They have a uniformly low regard for the perception of folks from Wyoming as ignorant and uneducated in the basic ways of life. There's surprise that we even have flush toilets and that the Indians haven't attacked in recent days, or that we have blankets and central heating in our shacks. In their view, civilization has yet to arrive in Wyoming.

I'd just as soon we keep their impresssion that way, as it tends to keep the riff-raff out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
I'm glad we travel on different paths because I do consultant work in schools in California and other states. I'm writing a book about one area of my art & math classes because of the high demand. I sit on the board of a University. My friends and family have various levels of education along with their various life views. One thing I do know is that we operate at another level of respect for each other. We don't name call and label. We live in a 3D world not one that is either this way or that.

With my best Southern Belle accent: Have a nice day.

Last edited by Clay Lady; 11-07-2008 at 02:33 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 03:35 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
It's not just the west coast... I have similar reactions here in Minnesota when I say I want to move back to Wyoming. "Why would you want to move there?" "Do they even have high speed internet in Wyoming?" .. and yes those questions are from educated people who feel they are better than others. I'm educated myself, and I pride myself that I don't try to across as a snob-- nor would I want to have that snobbish attitude, especially since I am in education. Besides, from all of my visits to Wyoming, and the time I lived there, the people in Wyoming are "REAL" .. genuine, down to earth and God love them--not so hung up on the material world so that they forget how to appreciate what they have, not what they do not have. Give me Wyoming over any other place that has their noses turned in the air.

Hopefully we won't be too far behind the new immigrants!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
It could be snobbery; more than likely simple ignorance. I recall a time I was riding horse alongside Wyoming Blvd in Casper - in the mid-90's and was stopped by a couple out of New York - they drove a Mercedes, appeared well-to-do...and they asked if I was on my way to work. I must've looked a bit perplexed for they then stated that they just 'knew' we in Wyoming still rode horse or wagon to work. When I asked if they had seen the multitude of vehicles on the road around us - they stated that they all must be tourists such as them. It didn't matter that the vehicles had Wyoming plates. Next thing I knew they were shooting photos of me...'on my way to work'.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:34 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post

You are right. Not all liberals think that; most liberals think that. When I tell a liberal that I was considering moving to Wyoming, most assume that I am going to Jackson. I get plenty of comments stereotyping Wyoming as full of hicks, rednecks and other nonflattering terms. And these comments are from educated people. The people I talk to who did not go to college do not seem to hold these stereotypes.

Thanks for considering that not all liberals think that. And please know there ARE also liberals in Wyoming who welcome you and will respect differing opinions, although I believe the liberals in Wyoming think differently than those in California.

I am educated - a Masters degree + about 50 hours more - but still consider MYSELF a redneck. But in Wyoming, that's not a derogatory term. I was born/raised on a farm/ranch, I shop at the $ store whenever possible, am not frivolous about my money, camp in a tent (and yes, pee in the woods), go to Sturgis every year, watch bull-riding rather than football for entertainment, drag race (and I'm female) etc.

As a recent liberal (I was a Registered Voting Republican my entire life until about 2004), I must say I'm surprised at the response of people in my community to the recent election results. I know Wyoming is conservative, but from my experience and what people on these boards espouse, accepting of most people. But I've heard the most hateful, tastless jokes, comments, jabs in my workplace since Obama won the presidential election. Any fellow Wyomingites want to chime in with a justification?

Last edited by Kristynwy; 11-07-2008 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: fixed broken quote

Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM

116 posts, read 449,792 times
Quote:
The liberals here all think that Wyoming is full of redneck, beer swilling, wife beating, toothless, gay hating right wing nutjobs.
That's outrageous! I've got most of my teeth.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
Judging from your previous posts, you'll fit in well here, and I wish you every success.

HOWEVER:

If any of your fellow Californians can't see what oppressive taxes, over-reaching social programs, anti-business policies, unchecked illegal immigration, and unreasonable environmental regulations have done to their once-great state, tell them to stay put. They've ruined one state through their stupidity, and we don't need them here.
I agree that many of our fellow Californians have ruined this state through their own stupidity. Unfortunately, it's mostly the folks in the big cities that have imposed their will upon the rest of us out here. I have never voted for any of the programs mentioned, and have tried to point out the problems with these programs to those that do vote for them. I have also never voted for the candidates that propose such idiocy. Unfortunately, many people in California are unable to look through the empty campaign promises to see the reality of what they are voting for.

In the election last week there were promises to build things like high speed rail in California, without raising taxes. When you read about that particular proposition, it is evident that the money would come from the sale of bonds, hence the no new taxes promise. What people don't ever seem to realize is the new taxes that are required to repay those bonds! For the amount of money that is thrown into the California education system, there sure are a lot of idiots!

I am fortunate to have gainful employment in California that permits me to be able to afford to live here (as long as I don't try to keep up with everyone else), and will provide for my future upon my retirement. I already spend a fair amount of time in Wyoming, and long ago made a decision that I would retire there. I want Wyoming to stay the way it is, and I will do my part to keep it that way. The small town I currently live in is very similar in culture, though the big city mentality is starting to show up here, which is one of the reasons I don't want to stay here forever.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
The newest ignorant response I got today from telling someone I am moving to Wyoming.
"But there are no gay bars out there"
My response: I am not gay so I do not care, and there are a lot of things that are not out there, some of which I will not miss, and some of which I will miss, and some of which I am glad they do not have.

The strangest thing is that this woman who said that is not gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming