Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM

144 posts, read 628,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I dont know why the industry is so caught up in using the current blade designs. There are other ways to get a turbine turning using wind that are a lot less prone to failure and destruction, they may not be as efficient, but they are certainly better in the high wind environment of wyoming.
Gee, Benny, you haven't even gotten here and you're already thinking like a Wyomingite. However, logic only applies when you're trying to run a business for a profit. When all you're after is the Government subsidy, it doesn't matter whether or not you're efficient. Just slap those suckers up there and cash those checks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
Gee, Benny, you haven't even gotten here and you're already thinking like a Wyomingite. However, logic only applies when you're trying to run a business for a profit. When all you're after is the Government subsidy, it doesn't matter whether or not you're efficient. Just slap those suckers up there and cash those checks!!!
Thanks for the compliment!

I've worked with engineers in the past. Some of these guys could come up with a solution for any mechanical, electrical, or chemical challenge that you could throw them. If it was possible they would have a solution.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:12 PM

Actually, I recently saw a prototype wind generator on TV that laid horizontal to the ground and allegedly worked in all wind conditions and was more efficient than the upright turbines. Additionally, FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne has a new type of wind generator that's allegedly 40% more efficient.

Herein lies the problem with the rush to install inefficient, expensive forms of alternative energy--the technology just ain't there yet. Someday there will be cost-effective alternatives to coal and nuclear fission, and when that happens, we won't need Government to force a shift any more than we needed them to outlaw the horse and buggy and mandate automobiles.

What will happen instead is that Uncle Sam will impose punitive taxes on efficient energy producers, and use the money to prop up the inefficient ones (much like they bail out inefficient banks, airlines and auto manufacturers.) Then when the efficient producers go bankrupt, the taxes will stop, along with the subsidies. Of course, when your electric bill triples, that won't be a tax increase.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
Actually, I recently saw a prototype wind generator on TV that laid horizontal to the ground and allegedly worked in all wind conditions and was more efficient than the upright turbines. Additionally, FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne has a new type of wind generator that's allegedly 40% more efficient.
Really? 40% better than what?

I've seen the two turbines over there as I drive by the base and they're nothing different than the turbines south of Cheyenne, or at Hereford, or by Elk Mountain. What am I missing?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Really? 40% better than what?

I've seen the two turbines over there as I drive by the base and they're nothing different than the turbines south of Cheyenne, or at Hereford, or by Elk Mountain. What am I missing?
This was from an article in the base paper a year or more ago. I know there have been wind turbines on the west side of the base for some time, but FEW had installed some additional turbines that supposedly produced 40% more electricity than the older windmills on the base.

I wish I had paid more attention to the design difference. Something sticks in the back of my mind that these were barrel-shaped, rather than the propeller type you usually see, and that they didn't have to shut down in high winds. I freely admit that I could be 100% wrong on the design, but I'm pretty certain on the base's claim of a 40% increase in efficiency.

Sorry for any confusion.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I think what they currently use are the most efficient for low wind conditions. (some work down to 2-3 mph)
The vertical axis turbines are not as efficient and require higher constant wind speed. (they have drum types and vertical blade types). There are also some horizontal axis much like squirrel cage, that mount in the cupola (ridge) of structures (Barns / loafing sheds). These take quite a breeze to work, but I would think their large mass and limited SF exposure to the wind would make them more suitable in high wind / gusts. Unfortunately you will only make power when the wind blows. I have considered them in my application because I'm in a National Scenic area that does not allow such things as towers, windmills, (satellite dishes) ... In fact we can't even cut down a tree over 6' tall, or 6" in dia...(tho we have plenty 300' tall ). but we do get plenty of High winds, tho not year round. I will probably not pursue this, as I hope to move to WY when the boom busts, as my $33/day in property taxes (in WA) is tough to cough up with zero income. + NO income tax in WA does lose it's luster when you have no income.

How will WY state Gov fare when the energy $ dry up?. We (WA) are really struggling because so much revenue depends on 'consumerism' (~8% sales tax). + Boeing is not selling a lot of 'dreamliners' ... I hear the grain export revenues are in trouble too (transit / repayment / loan availability). I think our wheat and apple exports are largely to Japan, who may be the most likely country to survive this current episode. (Having been in the dumps for 20 yrs..., they are all 'practiced up')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming