U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 AM

4,805 posts, read 5,277,073 times
Default For those of you in and around Laramie

The Lakota Reservation in South Dakota has been struck with a huge, early season snow storm. People are without heat, there is a great lack of food, medicine, and warm winter clothing. Several elderly have died.

We have spoken to sources on the reservation and confirmed the situation. I have since been in touch with Russell Mean's office and have received several updates. South Dakota has finally plowed a few roads into the Reservation, but the Lakota people are still in a great deal of trouble.

They need assistance quickly. The Wyoming Anthropological Association, a recognized student organization of the University of Wyoming is arranging donations of food, warm clothing, firewood, and transportation of the goods to the Reservation.

I have set up a large box in the lobby of the Anthropology Building for donations. Non-perishable foodstuffs and warm winter clothing (i.e.; hats, gloves, coats, sweaters, etc.) would be appreciated. In addition, we will have a table in the Student Union Breezeway this Friday. We will be set up to receive clothing, food, and cash donations to offset transportation costs. (We will be driving the donated goods to the Reservation this coming Saturday).

One of the greatest things I've always admired about our country is the ability of its citizens to respond when others are in trouble. This time, the trouble is not half way across the world or even half way across the country. This time it is in our own backyard. We all aware of the fact that Native Americans in this country are often marginalized. We have the opportunity to let them know that we, right here at this University and in our community, care about what happens to them and their community.

Please help in what ever way you're able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,799,534 times
Do you have anyone that could come to Rawlins with a truck? If so please DM me.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
Do you have anyone that could come to Rawlins with a truck? If so please DM me.
I'm sorry, I do not.

This is a student led effort and unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your view ) we all have classes until late Friday afternoon.

However, if you have anything which can be UPS-ed in, DM me for an address that you send donations to.

Your desire to help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:50 AM

Just thought I'd give an update.

The University and the community of Laramie have responded tremendously to our Lakota Blizzard Relief. We've ended up with more food and clothing than we ever thought we'd receive and are now looking to have more vehicle usage donated to get the items to Pine Ridge--and we're not through taking donations yet! There will be an article in the local paper today, as well as in the student publication and I expect that we'll have donations piled to the roof of the zooarchaeology lab!

Saturday morning we'll be making the eight hour drive to Pine Ridge to drop off the items and assist in the relief operation in whatever way possible.

I am absolutely stunned by the response of the people and students in this town. South Dakota's government may have turned their backs (once again) on the Native Americans in their state--but Laramie, Wyoming is proving to be a most compassionate and giving community.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 PM

We ended up with a half ton of food plus enough clothing to fill a 17 foot (donated) U-haul. We're off tomorrow AM at 4:00.

Kudos to the great community of Laramie, Wyoming. You guys are awesome!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming