Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

johns65vette ... automotive service businesses are in high demand in all of these locations.

You could do quite well with an automotive service biz doing routine service, TBA, A/C, and minor through heavy mechanical (if you're so inclined to get into the major stuff). In some towns, your competition is the franchised jiffy lube shops, and ... while they do a good volume ... they're pretty despised by people who appreciate a "personal" touch in the biz. (IMO, they're the McDonald's of auto service ... and folks don't appreciate the ignorant kids messing with the cars and the constant high pressure sales tactics for mostly unneeded wiper blades, air filters, coolant flushes, etc. The only place I know where the windows come out dirtier than they went in for the "signature service" and they can't read the tire pressure stickers on the cars, so put the tires up to the maximum pressure on the sidewall ... but hey, it's on their computer. I've watched them not do stuff to a car and check it off on the computer ... and had the "shop manager" argue with the customer even when confronted with the dry grease zerks or the low tire pressure while still in the lot before leaving. FWIW, I made a lot of money in years past rebuilding MB diesels and BMW's that they blew up with incorrect servicing or junk filters when their insurance paid to have the damaged cars fixed)

The roads in Wyoming really beat up cars/trucks. So there's a lot of alignment and suspension component specialty work. You could make a business out of it for a one-man shop just having an 4-wheel alignment rack and replacing/upgrading suspension components.

With all the diesel pick-ups around here, that's another niche. The recent diesel tech at Cowboy Dodge in Cheyenne just left there to go full time with his home-based business East of town. Cowboy advertised for another tech and mentioned that he'd pulled down $100K last year. That's a super high income for the area, and that was in 5-day workweeks, leaving him plenty of time to work out of his home shop. He mentioned to me once that he's been asked to work on MB diesels (a specialty of mine), and he had a devil of a time checking & adjusting the injection timing on the older Bosch mechanical diesel injection pumps (which are really very easy ... if you know what to do ...). There's not a lot of "exotic" cars in the area, but it's a long way for folks who have them to go to Denver or SLC just for routine service. They'll pay for quality routine service work with OE filters (readily available from the major euro aftermarket suppliers and our friends at UPS).

You may not always be "swamped" busy in a modest shop due to the relatively low population base, but the profit margins are there which will well support a reasonable overhead operation and for quality workmanship and correct & honest work. We have two major independent shops in Cheyenne and they both suck big time ... I've seen them completely miss basic diagnostics on diesel engines (like selling injection pumps when all that was needed was clean filters; or one Dodge 4x4 24 valveCummins where the hose clamp on the turbo intercooler flex line had come loose (and was a Dodge service bulletin to upgrade the clamp, to boot ...) and the pick-up had lots of smoke and no power), they wanted to put all new injectors in that one. Took me 30 seconds to spot the problem for my neighbor ... most of which was opening the hood and looking around; tightened the hose clamp in place and the truck's been going strong ever since.

With a modest collection of tools ... and a few specialty service tools, you wouldn't need much in the way of shop equipment. You can send the heads (lots of broken/jumped timing belts in this area) out for service, and if you don't want to do the transmissions ... there's a couple of to-the-trade-only wholesale tranny rebuilders in the region who do excellent work. You'd just R&R the trans. Oh, and there's lots of clutch work ....

I have a neighbor who works out of his house with a 6-bay shop, too. He's swamped all the time, turns away a lot of work "just because" he needs time off or it's a good day to go fishing or ride his hog. Most folks will wait to schedule their car in ... he's good at his work, conveniently located ... and most people have another vehicle they can use until he gets the job done.
Other than basic MIL codes, he doesn't get into all the specialized electronic diagnostics from dealer only or expensive dedicated analyzers ... not a justifiable expense for his shop. ALLDATA gives him most of what he needs; if it's beyond that scope of work, he leaves it to the dealers .... and ALLDATA access is FREE at the county library.

Another neighbor is the local farm equipment repair resource. I visited him today, and his shop is packed tight with trans and engine overhauls for tractors and loaders and a road grader. It's a family biz, only him, his brother, and a couple of his sons. They'll change over from major work in the winter to field servicing in a couple of months, or break-down repairs on field forage equipment.

I'd caution you that some Wyoming locales will not do much business with you if you're not a member of their predominant church group if a member is your competition. So you will have to do a little research about the local business climate before deciding upon your location if you want to be successfully independent.

I've got 40 years in the biz, 25 as a shop owner/tech ... specializing in high-end euro cars. PM me if you want to pursue an auto biz in Wyoming, I may be able to be of assistance. I know you've got a few years before you can make the move, but that's an opportunity to do the groundwork ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 01:18 AM

777 posts, read 3,196,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
johns65vette ... automotive service businesses are in high demand in all of these locations.

You could do quite well with an automotive service biz doing routine service, TBA, A/C, and minor through heavy mechanical (if you're so inclined to get into the major stuff). In some towns, your competition is the franchised jiffy lube shops, and ... while they do a good volume ... they're pretty despised by people who appreciate a "personal" touch in the biz. (IMO, they're the McDonald's of auto service ... and folks don't appreciate the ignorant kids messing with the cars and the constant high pressure sales tactics for mostly unneeded wiper blades, air filters, coolant flushes, etc. The only place I know where the windows come out dirtier than they went in for the "signature service" and they can't read the tire pressure stickers on the cars, so put the tires up to the maximum pressure on the sidewall ... but hey, it's on their computer. I've watched them not do stuff to a car and check it off on the computer ... and had the "shop manager" argue with the customer even when confronted with the dry grease zerks or the low tire pressure while still in the lot before leaving. FWIW, I made a lot of money in years past rebuilding MB diesels and BMW's that they blew up with incorrect servicing or junk filters when their insurance paid to have the damaged cars fixed)

The roads in Wyoming really beat up cars/trucks. So there's a lot of alignment and suspension component specialty work. You could make a business out of it for a one-man shop just having an 4-wheel alignment rack and replacing/upgrading suspension components.

With all the diesel pick-ups around here, that's another niche. The recent diesel tech at Cowboy Dodge in Cheyenne just left there to go full time with his home-based business East of town. Cowboy advertised for another tech and mentioned that he'd pulled down $100K last year. That's a super high income for the area, and that was in 5-day workweeks, leaving him plenty of time to work out of his home shop. He mentioned to me once that he's been asked to work on MB diesels (a specialty of mine), and he had a devil of a time checking & adjusting the injection timing on the older Bosch mechanical diesel injection pumps (which are really very easy ... if you know what to do ...). There's not a lot of "exotic" cars in the area, but it's a long way for folks who have them to go to Denver or SLC just for routine service. They'll pay for quality routine service work with OE filters (readily available from the major euro aftermarket suppliers and our friends at UPS).

You may not always be "swamped" busy in a modest shop due to the relatively low population base, but the profit margins are there which will well support a reasonable overhead operation and for quality workmanship and correct & honest work. We have two major independent shops in Cheyenne and they both suck big time ... I've seen them completely miss basic diagnostics on diesel engines (like selling injection pumps when all that was needed was clean filters; or one Dodge 4x4 24 valveCummins where the hose clamp on the turbo intercooler flex line had come loose (and was a Dodge service bulletin to upgrade the clamp, to boot ...) and the pick-up had lots of smoke and no power), they wanted to put all new injectors in that one. Took me 30 seconds to spot the problem for my neighbor ... most of which was opening the hood and looking around; tightened the hose clamp in place and the truck's been going strong ever since.

With a modest collection of tools ... and a few specialty service tools, you wouldn't need much in the way of shop equipment. You can send the heads (lots of broken/jumped timing belts in this area) out for service, and if you don't want to do the transmissions ... there's a couple of to-the-trade-only wholesale tranny rebuilders in the region who do excellent work. You'd just R&R the trans. Oh, and there's lots of clutch work ....

I have a neighbor who works out of his house with a 6-bay shop, too. He's swamped all the time, turns away a lot of work "just because" he needs time off or it's a good day to go fishing or ride his hog. Most folks will wait to schedule their car in ... he's good at his work, conveniently located ... and most people have another vehicle they can use until he gets the job done.
Other than basic MIL codes, he doesn't get into all the specialized electronic diagnostics from dealer only or expensive dedicated analyzers ... not a justifiable expense for his shop. ALLDATA gives him most of what he needs; if it's beyond that scope of work, he leaves it to the dealers .... and ALLDATA access is FREE at the county library.

Another neighbor is the local farm equipment repair resource. I visited him today, and his shop is packed tight with trans and engine overhauls for tractors and loaders and a road grader. It's a family biz, only him, his brother, and a couple of his sons. They'll change over from major work in the winter to field servicing in a couple of months, or break-down repairs on field forage equipment.

I'd caution you that some Wyoming locales will not do much business with you if you're not a member of their predominant church group if a member is your competition. So you will have to do a little research about the local business climate before deciding upon your location if you want to be successfully independent.

I've got 40 years in the biz, 25 as a shop owner/tech ... specializing in high-end euro cars. PM me if you want to pursue an auto biz in Wyoming, I may be able to be of assistance. I know you've got a few years before you can make the move, but that's an opportunity to do the groundwork ....
WOW!!! Thanks Sunsprit, for taking the time to write up all this I will try to come up with some intelligent questions to ask, so as to not waste your time.
If I could work from a shop at my residence that would be ideal, but I have to wonder what the cities (government) think of folks doing that I know here, they would be on me like stink on a monkey.

It's funny what you say about the Jiffy Lube. One of our electricians at work had his oil changed at a WalMart They didn't tighten his drain plug, and sure enough that sucker came off on the freeway, just as he was getting off to come to work. He made it to work, and I looked at it after work for him, and told him what happened. Needless to say he was not happy. I also know someone who went to JL and they forgot to tighten the drain plug. Luckily I found it before it came off. The big oil leak under the car was a dead giveaway

I am not as in tune with diesels as I am with gas engines, but their is not much difference internally anyway. Mainly just fuel delivery systems, and compression difference. Plus if I open a shop, I will have somewhere to work on my 65 Vette, in my spare time

It's good to know about ALLDATA being available at the library for free. I have a handheld OBDII scanner, but I had to spend $100 for factory service manuals for my Suburban, to find out what the codes meant. Oh well, still cheaper than taking it to the dealer.

What you said about the Dodge diesel reminds me of a time when my wife and I were dating, and her 99 Dodge Ram 5.9 (non diesel) quit on her on the way to work one day. She had it towed to a Dodge dealer, and they told her it need an injector service Needless to say, I didn't let that happen. I looked at it and found it to be a dirty IAC valve. I cleaned it, reinstalled it, and it ran perfect. No cost at all, just an hour of my time. Probably sealed the deal on her wanting to marry me

Wyoming seems like a great place to have a business because of the low tax base, no business license needed system. I swear WY, is looking better and better all the time Just would need something to carry me for the next 15 years till I am ready to retire.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Home based businesses are simply part of the culture in Wyoming.

As long as you're not prohibited in a covenent controlled development area or within a city residential zoning restriction, a home based workshop will fit right in.

Of course, you'll still be held accountable for being environmentally responsible. A clean shop with proper waste disposal, old batteries properly stored, no anti-freeze spills ... all costs of doing business but very manageable.

Most independent shops use "waste oil" fired heaters to dispose of the old oil. Hook up with a battery wholesaler and you'll have your old batteries picked up or accepted for re-cycling. Anti-freeze will be your biggest concern, and there's ways to properly dispose of it, too ... depends upon which county/city you wind up in for the access.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
... Just would need something to carry me for the next 15 years till I am ready to retire.
Lots of good info given to you, If I had 15 yrs left I'd look into a federal or state job. Plus developing your clientelle / infrastructure for a 'part-time' repair business. (Having recently been laid off in private industry after 32 yrs, but 6 wks away from retirement,and now without health benefits)

Keep your eyes on VA in Sheridan or Highway / utility jobs. I had a friend who spent 20 years checking snowpack and in summer, inspecting 'backcountry' lake conditions for an 'irrigation' district. Tough life, but he did get quite good at fly fishing, and always got his elk and deer on opening day. He retired at age 42 with pension + benefits. Another friend works for Bonneville Power Administrationin the Red Lodge area 'maintaining substations'. (looking at... substations, anything needing done, he calls in a crew). BPA was looking for CDL drivers for a project near Tetons a couple years ago. $28.80/ hr + double time for OT (6 - 12hr days during summer = adequate OT $$) Keep an eye on USJOBS.com.

I think you will find adequate repair work, but you can end up working pretty hard, and still starving, and having no pension / benefits. Paid Vacation and a 4 day workweek in a Gov job, would give you lots of freedom to build your business. Our local hiway / county Depts, work 4 x 10hr shifts (+ extra in winter for 'plowing'). I was able to get a 4 day Workweek because our state requires employers to reduce commute trips 10% every year. I wrote a proposal to work 4 x 10's and got approved.
The next year I opted for 3 x10's + 1 day from home. (but now I'm unemployed... ) That's ok I'm not starving. (yet )

Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 PM

janb, thanks for the advice on gov jobs. I'll be about 48/49 when I make the move to WY. About 15 years of work left in me.

Bad news about getting laid off 6 weeks away from retirement

If I did happen to land a gov. job, which I will tell you is all but impossible here in CA, if you're white I would likely not bother with auto repair, even as a side job, unless I absolutely have to. Working on cars is something I like doing as a hobby, and would do it if I absolutely needed to, to make a living, which is why I am looking at it as an option, but I can tell you I don't love doing it. Of course if the money is right, I might learn to love it

How hard is it to land gov jobs? I look at some of the listings for different positions on "Americas Job Bank" and "Wyoming At Work" but it seems like they require you to have some certifications for some positions (G4 G6 etc). Not sure what all those mean.

I work a 4/10 shift now. It is definitely nice

Old 03-06-2007, 05:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
janb, thanks for the advice on gov jobs. I'll be about 48/49 when I make the move to WY. About 15 years of work left in me.

Bad news about getting laid off 6 weeks away from retirement

If I did happen to land a gov. job, which I will tell you is all but impossible here in CA, if you're white I would likely not bother with auto repair, even as a side job, unless I absolutely have to. Working on cars is something I like doing as a hobby, and would do it if I absolutely needed to, to make a living, which is why I am looking at it as an option, but I can tell you I don't love doing it. Of course if the money is right, I might learn to love it

How hard is it to land gov jobs? I look at some of the listings for different positions on "Americas Job Bank" and "Wyoming At Work" but it seems like they require you to have some certifications for some positions (G4 G6 etc). Not sure what all those mean.

I work a 4/10 shift now. It is definitely nice
Here's the website for GOV jobs in Wyoming.

https://egov.state.wy.us/ThankYou.aspx

The G4 and such are not certificates. They are your level. For instance a G4 makes x number of dollars and a G5 makes more. In the job description, it gives exactly what the requirements are and you can apply right on line.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Here's the website for GOV jobs in Wyoming.

https://egov.state.wy.us/ThankYou.aspx

The G4 and such are not certificates. They are your level. For instance a G4 makes x number of dollars and a G5 makes more. In the job description, it gives exactly what the requirements are and you can apply right on line.
Thank you jgussler Sounds like a lot off different options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming