U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:27 PM

144 posts, read 420,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hialtlady View Post
Gosh, sunsprit, I read the post that got wyolady hot and taking you to task, and saw a couple things you said, like

"If you come expecting a handout, or to be entertained (as opposed to entertaining yourself with all the activities to be found here), or for the heavy hand of government to address all of the the things that some other very liberal state/city would ... you may well be very disappointed."

Not sure I'd take you to task for it, but if I was thinking of moving to WY and got this response, I probably wouldn't.
I recently saw a TV newscast that said over 2/3 of the new arrivals in Wyoming leave before they've been here 1 year. We've all seen these poor folks who arrive thinking they've found Nirvana, and soon become disgruntled with the lack of facilities, the unpredictable weather, the smell of livestock, and the people who don't dress, think or act the way the newcomers feel is "proper".

In light of this, your post raises a most interesting philosophical question. If you were "thinking of moving to WY", would you rather have someone tell you the blunt truth, or would you rather hear sunshine and roses, only to learn the reality after you relocated?

The OP seems like a nice enough fellow, but (from my reading of his post) he's someone who is happiest in an environment that he won't find in Wyoming. He's certainly welcome to move to Laramie of anywhere else he chooses, and I wish him happiness and success if he does. However, he won't be happy if he finds a disconnect between reality and his expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM

255 posts, read 764,108 times
Well, I would think that people who move to Laramie would do so for going to the university or for a job at the university, and I imagine these people would generally stay for longer than a year.

As far as which environment I'm happiest in, I've always believed in making myself happy, as opposed to depending on my environment to do so. From that standpoint, I'm a pretty malleable person.

I totally apologize for misspelling Cheyenne. Someone else spelled it the wrong way and I copied off of them. My bad.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,714 times
Oh you live in Pittsburgh????? I live in Erie! I noticed you had wondered about the tolerance for minorities. My kids are bi-racial (white and black) so that is a huge concern for me. It's not even an issue here, but I've never lived anywhere else since I've been a parent and I won't tolerate anyone mistreating my children because of their own racial insecurities/beliefs.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 PM

46 posts, read 61,689 times
Well... maybe you shouldn't be so quick to assume that people in Laramie would treat your children any differently because they are bi-racial. I'm not trying to accuse you of stereotyping, but it is kind of what it seems like you are doing. You seem to think that just because it's Wyoming people will treat someone who isn't white differently. I just don't think that is a fair thing to assume. And as a mother, you have every right to be concerned about how your children are treated... but automatically assuming the worst isn't necessarily good.

I would think that since Laramie is a college town and probably has more "minorities" than other parts of Wyoming, it would be a non-issue. But you know, it goes both ways is all I'm saying.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,337 times
I have lived in Laramie for 4 years now. I moved here from Denver. Life is simple here. I walk to work, people are friendly and helpful when you ask for help. Being self sufficient and independent is sort of the life style here; but then that is true all over the West. I don't know about liberal or conservative. People are tolerant here as long as you don't try to persuade them of your point of view or put it in their face. Peaceful co-existence. And I agree that low taxes means low or noservices; they kind of go hand in hand. They don't plow the streets here in the winter; the snow just gets packed down. As far as night life or having entertainment, I think you need to consider how much you like the out of doors. People bicycle here, or go snow shoeing or snow mobile, or camp, or hike. The Snowy mountains and country side are absolutely beautiful and not full of people. You step over the state line into Colorado and you are back in the traffic and congestion and commercial life style. There are trade offs to being here and having the simple life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming