Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 PM

12 posts, read 52,728 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Buffalo? We are looking at moving to this area and are interested in learning about the schools, people, and just the area in general. Do you shop in Sheridan? Fly in/out of Billings?
I should include that we currently live in SE MT, so we're somewhat familiar with the climate and lifestyle out west.
Thank you so much for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 AM

30 posts, read 97,520 times
I lived in Buffalo last winter. I really enjoyed it. I am a young lady who was able to meet some friends there. Buffalo has 2 grocery stores, but they are pretty expensive compared to a larger town. I would travel to Sheridan (25 minutes north) to shop at Walmart, and Casper(1 1/2 hours south) for Sams Club. The closest international airport is in Billings (about 3 hours away.) Casper has an airport to fly out to a connecting airport. I don't have children, so I don't know too much about the schools. Most everyone that I met in Buffalo were very nice! The post office, and other local business' have very friendly workers. There is not many choices to go out to eat in Buffalo. Fast food is an option... other than that, there are some restaurants, but they are in the higher price range. $15-$35 per entree. One place definitely worth going to is The Winchester. It is owned by a sweet, warm family and always has good food, and service. Like I said, I really liked it there, but it is very small. Only about 3000 people live in the town, there are only 2 stop lights, but there are many young people who like to hang at the bars. There are so many activities that await in the Big Horn mountain range, and it is gorgeous there! I hope that my experiences in buffalo can give you a small idea of the town.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time there. We'll be visiting soon, I'm sure. But, it's always nice to hear about personal experiences.

I was also wondering if it is very windy?

Also, it seems that land prices are less expensive than Sheridan...does anyone have thoughts on this?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:23 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
I've been to Buffalo as a visitor a few times. Very nice downtown area, IMO one of the nicest in the state, actually looks like Mayberry. The people were friendly and liked bragging about how nice Buffalo was to me when I told them I was visiting.
I've been there in June, Aug and Nov/Dec and the weather was always nice; never hot or cold. I was surprised that the fall weather was not cold, maybe it was a fluke?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Thanks, Benny! It's good to hear that they have pride in their town! (and nice, also, about the weather!)

The most exciting thing to me about *possibly* moving there is no longer driving 120 miles to Wal Mart! woohoo!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
When I was there I visited someplace on the main street. I cant remember if it was the Chamber of Commerce office or not. But it was something that promotes the town. It was on the east side of the street, across the street from what I think was the city hall or courthouse.Anyway, the woman working there was very nice and knowledgable about Buffalo; she would be a good person to contact for anyone wanting to know more about the town.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Certainly will check it out. Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,498 times
Yes, there is a visitor center downtown, I believe that is what Benny is talking about.

Rentals are harder to find in Buffalo, than in Sheridan. Didn't always used to be that way. But that has been my family's experience as well as other people I know.

My husband occasionally works down in Buffalo, since one of the heating company shops is down there, that he works for.

Best of luck to you

Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,977 times
Default Buffalo in general

I moved to Buffalo 3 years ago from outside Philadelphia.At 73 years old it was the best move Iv'e made.I do have a daughter here ,running a outfitters business in the winter and during prarie dog season.I can live here on my social security which is impossible in PA.I love it.
The schools are fine.It is a great place you raise youngsters.They can live a Tom Sawyer life when they are young.There are two markets in town that are a little pricey plus a dollar store. Most go to Sheridan and walmart.They are still trying to open a Palmida that is built but not open.
In the winter tere is snowmobiles,ice fishing and hiking is slowed until
the snow melts.They do have a trail system that wanders on a kept path for about 3 miles.If you pick it up on rte 16W you can go another 3.There are numerous fast foods and two fine resaurants.There is a fine mexican resaurant plus the Occidental hotel which has a restaurant.The small local eateries close around 2 PM as they have decided not to compete with the big boys.Thruout the year there is always something going on.
There is a senior center which is great for the older ones and there is a Senior Apartment which requires you to get on a waiting list.It is subject to income limits.I live there and it is fantastic.
The area is loaded with wildlife,especialy antelope ,and is a joy to look at anytime you are out.Last I heard they are supposed to build a Hampton Inn .It is a quaint town,lots of western charm,about 4300 people.
They have a fine medical center,chiropractors,lumber yards, 1 drug store,
ace hardware,a little of everything.No jewelery,fine local bars and lounges
and only 30 minutes from Sheridan and only a hour and a half to casper.
sort of the town that "Mickey and Judy " grew up in.
The people are fantastic ,friendly and still harbour resentment that in the
early 1890's,the cattlebarons sent a army of thugs to wipe out the small
settlers in Johnson County they thought were a threat to their empire.
Bumper stickers are visible now and then "we haven't trusted Cheyenne since1892".

I have not regreted moving here .It is a fine community.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM

264 posts, read 1,093,625 times
To expand on something hatborojerry mentioned, the medical center is indeed very good. Surprisingly well equipped for a town this size. My wife had our third child this last fall there, and we were very comfortable in their labor & delivery room. We've also had the displeasure of having to bring our son to the emergency room after a seizure, and the doctors were very pleasant and helpful. All of the modern medical equipment was available (MRI, CT scans, etc.) They made a horrible event much calmer for us. In the event they can't treat a patient, Sheridan, Casper or Billings are the nearest hospitals and Denver (6 hours) is the nearest major medical center.

One observation I've made since coming here is that it doesn't seem to snow as much in Buffalo as it does in neighboring towns. Over the last couple weeks there was one blizzard and another winter storm. Buffalo got somewhere around 5 inches total, but after driving in Sheridan today (to shop at Walmart & Albertsons) it looks like they got somewhere around 10-15". Same goes for Gillette.

Last edited by ruggedindividual; 03-31-2009 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming