Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 PM

592 posts, read 2,239,683 times

Advertisements

Glad things are working out for you. Be careful of that sun when it does shine. It burns pretty quick !

Checking the VIN only takes a few minutes. There is a little tag on the drivers side windshield. Down where the wiper blades are. They just check the numbers to be sure they match your title .
Well leaving the car running burns extra fuel but keeps the car warm. Some of these may be diesel trucks/cars , have you noticed if they sound a little noisier. If a diesel gets cold it is harder to start again. Some folks also have two sets of keys so the doors can be locked.
You made me smile when you talked about the snow! Enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 PM

357 posts, read 1,610,358 times
The VIN check: No that's not difficult to do. Take your current registration from NV/CA over to the police station or sheriff's station and they'll run your VIN to make sure your car isn't stolen. They give you a little slip saying you're an upstanding car owner, which you then take to get your car re-titled.

NB that this is necessary ONLY for "transferable titles" -- ie a title that you could use to sell the car. If you're getting a non-transferable title, you don't need the VIN inspection until you want to sell the car.

Cars left running: this is something you'll see happen more frequently when it is really cold and with folks who have diesel pickups or cars. If a diesel engine gets cold-soaked, it can be a bear to get it started again. I'd bet most folks are just leaving their keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. I don't do it often, but in sub-zero weather where I don't have a place to plug in the block heater, I might do it when out running errands in the diesel. I don't do it with gas vehicles.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 PM

203 posts, read 711,290 times
We got our new drivers license today and it was easy. Also thanks NV Dave on the non-transferable title info because that is what we got. That saved us a lot of time. We paid A LOT in registration and got our plates today. I guess that they are the new ones with the pics of the Tetons on them. I guess we are officially Wyomingites now.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM

Now you understand why people here drive so many more older cars: they tax you a pretty penny for having shiny paint.

You can get a transferable title any time later - you just do the VIN check, go get the title, then you can sell the car. If you're not planning on selling your car, not having a transferable title is an implicit security measure against someone stealing your car to sell it - at least in Wyoming.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,049,707 times
Having obtained the "non-transferable" title for the purposes of Wyoming registration doesn't mean that you need to get a Wyoming transferable title when you go to sell the vehicle.

Your old title from another state is still valid. You would sign it off in the normal manner to sell your vehicle. That signed off title and a bill of sale to the new owner is all it takes for them to process their new proof of ownership and title transfer.

Of course, all of this is moot until you go to sell your vehicle.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,209,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Having obtained the "non-transferable" title for the purposes of Wyoming registration doesn't mean that you need to get a Wyoming transferable title when you go to sell the vehicle.

Your old title from another state is still valid. You would sign it off in the normal manner to sell your vehicle. That signed off title and a bill of sale to the new owner is all it takes for them to process their new proof of ownership and title transfer.

Sunsprit is right about this. We used our Montana title and sold our car to a local person. Just had to have our signature notarized, etc., as usual and give the lady a hand written bill of sale. No problems for them or for us.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Hmmmm..... so I was right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

when I asked why I needed a "non transferable title." It was just a scam to rake in fee monies.

When I moved to Nevada, they never made me get a new title to register the vehicle. They just checked the existing title to insure that the VIN wasn't reported as stolen, handed me back the title and charged me a fee to register the car.

Wyoming certainly has odd kinks in some of their laws...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 PM

26 posts, read 100,752 times
You will like Gillette. My parents use to live there, they moved only because mom got cancer and needed to come back home. She never made it back there and is now with the Lord. But they loved it out there. The pppl were very friendly and kind. She always talked highly of that place and I know you too will probably like it if its what she talked it up to be. are there many jobs out there? I am wanting to relocate myself but am a bit afraid to.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,209,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcandy View Post
You will like Gillette. My parents use to live there, they moved only because mom got cancer and needed to come back home. She never made it back there and is now with the Lord. But they loved it out there. The pppl were very friendly and kind. She always talked highly of that place and I know you too will probably like it if its what she talked it up to be. are there many jobs out there? I am wanting to relocate myself but am a bit afraid to.
What kind of work do you want to do or do you have experience doing? Give us some ideas so we can help you out!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,295 times
i am moving to gillette next weekend i am exicited i am coming from fernandina beach florida i have heard the people r real friendly over there and i am 2 because i am from georgia with a big drawl i will need a cheap place however safe place 2 stay 4 a few days any suggestions thanks jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming