U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,579,705 times
Default Evacuate Wyoming!?

Now this is an interesting, and potentially frightening, article. I'm guessing most people aren't real concerned? This kind of sounds like a story that is just meant to sell newspapers.

Casper Star-Tribune Online - Letters (http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2009/01/08/editorial/letters/ec6f002d6d8a09f287257536007cd252.txt - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,769,673 times
Letters to the editor aren't usually placed to sell papers.

If Yellowstone erupts as a super volcano, it's probably not going to be just Wyoming that gets wiped out; it could doom much of the U.S. and more.

Just the same, my truck is in the driveway full of fuel and the camper is ready to go.

(I'm aware of the possibility but not losing any sleep over it.)

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM

380 posts, read 686,917 times
The Western states immediately adjacent to Wyoming are the greatest at risk and more from the ash. It has been estimated at it's worse, it will spew so much ash that it would affect crop land in Canada and Northern US, much would depend on prevailing wind patterns following eruption. It will cause a lot of damage and in all likelihood plunge the United States into a state of total martial law in order to survive as a country. It would suddenly put one of the world's most advanced military force in a position in which it must look for possible other sources of food for it's citizens. I do not think there will be a lot of political correctness remaining in such a United States in this situation. We would likely go on the offensive against immediate neighbors to secure food. Terrible scenario, but a possible one, as to evacuating Wyoming? I think you will get some warning prior to the big blast, and thankfully the area is not over populated, so most folks could be gotten out fast enough. Best place to be will be in the Southeastern US.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:46 AM

76 posts, read 144,673 times
Yellowstone has been rumbling and shaking and heating up and cooling down for many MANY thousands of years. It could decide to go boom tomorrow, it might not erupt in the next 150,000 years. I ain't going to lose sleep over something I have no ability to prevent.

Besides, when it does go boom I think I'd rather be finished off quickly with the initial blast than contend later with the effects of inhaling volcanic ash (pulverized rock - not a good thing to be in your lungs ) or the massive food shortages that'll occur not only on this continent - but world wide.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 AM

453 posts, read 1,150,644 times
That is a scary article. And here we are all worried about the economy. That won't matter anymore but survival will. We witnessed Katrina on tv and that was horrible enough to what happened to those who survived and couldn't get out. I don't want to witness anything worse.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,897,089 times
*yawn* there are always extremists in every walk of life. A letter to the editor (and even editorials themselves, unfortunately) are biased by that authors opinions.

But in the end, I'd rather go out fast than deal with the aftermath that could range from minor and recoverable, to world-ending (depending on who you choose to read/listen to).

Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 AM

5,289 posts, read 828,633 times
I'm a Wyo native, but I'm going to grad school in VA, so I feel fairly safe! But I called my parents to warn them of their impending doom and that Yellowstone could begin the Apocalypse. They didn't seem overly concerned.

Thanks for posting the link. I found it quite entertaining. Because WYO would just be the beginning if Yellowstone were to go crazy.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:24 PM

10,940 posts, read 18,076,250 times
I' m glad I'm 20,000 miles 'downwind' from Wyo

but I do have this Mt St Helens 'volcano thing' in my backyard...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 PM

8,195 posts, read 21,520,333 times
OMG ... if it isn't San Andreas' fault, or volcanoes in HI or the Pacific NW, or a tsunami caused by shifting plates in the Pacific Ocean .... or volcanoes in Italy .... it's going to be something that will kill us.

What was that about illegal, immoral, or fattening?

Now it's mercury in high fructose corn syrup .... or traces of pesticides in baby formula.

Don't worry ... nobody gets out alive, and worrying about these things that you can't change isn't worth even reading about them.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 AM

Location: Texas, but moving back to Wyoming...Anyone want a great deal on a brick 3/2 in an ideal location?
18 posts, read 20,108 times
Wyomingites are accustomed to risk. It's a choice to live there for most of them, though many don't think about it much as it's the life they grew up with and love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming