Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times

Advertisements

I'd also mention that the general "prudent and proper" speed law applies around Wyoming, which essentially means that you can go as fast as you can while maintaining control and not exceeding the speed limit ... either a posted limit, or the general limit on county roads of 65 mph (in areas where it's not posted).

But, again, the detail of maintaining control and having enough sight distance to reasonably deal with the unexpected on the road is paramount.

For example, if you hit a cow or other livestock on the road and were traveling rather fast, you'll be looking at a ticket for exceeding a "prudent and proper" speed. Same thing if you depart the roadway and wind up with a one-car accident if the road is clean and dry, not adverse conditions.

Locally, we have some stretches of dirt county roads where the kids like to see how fast they can go down the road, which pitches up and down so that an average car going over 60 mph will get airborne. The deputies know about the number of resulting accidents on those roads and look for folks going that fast ... even though the road is not posted for speed and so is governed by the 65 mph maximum. But going 65 on these is clearly in violation of the "prudent and proper" speed law ... and they routinely bust young drivers out for a thrill ride ... they've had a couple of deaths from this, so it gets the attention of law enforcement.

Be aware, also, that the adjacent states to Wyoming have a different tolerance of speeding. Western Nebraska aggressively enforces a zero tolerance of the speed limit; you'll get ticketed for one mph over. There aren't a lot of patrollers out there, but they know their job. It's why you'll typically see NE plated cars driving 5-10 mph under the posted speed limits along I-80 and the county roads out here. Utah, on the other hand, regularly sees I-80 and other interstate traffic go well over the posted speed limit ... Parley's Canyon down into SLC is a great example of a 85-95 mph racetrack. But every now and then the patrol gets active about speeding enforcement (as opposed to the aggressive speeders in traffic) and starts busting everybody for a few mph over the limit. They'll also patrol/radar trap I-80 just outside the Wyoming border and look forward to the opportunity to tag you as go past their hiding place on the side of the road ... again, if your radar detector goes off, you've already been busted and the flashing lights will be behind you momentarily. I've been passed by folks who trusted their radar detector and seen them slow down and pull over on the side of the road ... I wondered what was going on ... and then saw the patrol car pull in behind them with all their lights; at the time they pulled over, the patrol was not to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
You will not get a ticket of record for 5 over if the speed limit is at least 65. That is the law. But the chances that you'd get a ticket for 5 over are so remote as to be unworthy of consideration.

Wyoming has excellent roads that accomodate safe high speed driving. There are stretches, long stretches, that are fine for high speed touring. If there are no cars, there are no cops; they don't use planes here. But as I said in a previous post, watch out for animals. And remember, it's always better to speed on familiar roads. A little nothing dip at 80 can be disastrous at twice that speed.

By the way, you'll have plenty of company; you just won't see them because they're looking for open country too.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 PM

178 posts, read 361,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKS64 View Post
For example, in Wisconsin, the speed limit on rural interstates is 65. If you go 66, you will pass every car on the highway and get dirty looks as you pass.
this is in no way, shape or form true at all! where in the world did you get this idea?

completely false.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM

22 posts, read 58,271 times
Thanks for the post, Sunsprit. Some of it is useful information, such as the fact that 8mph over requires a court appearance; that's good to know. But frankly, I don't want or need a lecture on driving safety, I just wanted to know what the general vibe is in Wyoming as compared to other states. As for Happy's post, I don't think he is bragging. I think his point is that he learned a lesson and would not do that again. Let's not chastise someone for having the sense to learn from their mistakes! No offense, I do appreciate the information, but you seem to be ranting a bit while we are just having a casual conversation about speed limits.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
this is in no way, shape or form true at all! where in the world did you get this idea?

completely false.
I got this idea by driving through Wisconsin, of course! Where would you think I got the idea? By the way, I was using a hyperbole. I know it isn't literally that bad in Wisconsin. But compared to other states that I have driven through, the drivers in Wisconsin seem to be very obedient about the limit, and not very respectful of those who choose to speed. That was my point. Heck, just the fact that the limit is still 65 while much of the rest of the country has upped it to 70 or 75 (and even 80 in west Texas) shows that most Wisconsonites think we should all drive very slowly...

Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM

TKS64 ... sorry if you find my observations about law enforcement re speed in this state not to your taste. I certainly don't intend to "lecture" you about what is "safe", only to be informative ... as you requested ... about "speed attitude" here in Wyoming.

Not everybody shares the view that the roads here are good for high speed driving, even with the desolation ... if for no better reason than there's a lot of livestock and wildlife on the roads throughout the state.

And sorry, too ... but anybody who posts that they've done 100mph on the road at night given the driving conditions around Wyoming is bragging, IMO. There's no "casual discussion" about speed attitude involved with that except that they indicate that they have little respect for the speed limits. That's their choice to make and to flaunt, but it won't wash with the law and I think you'll find most folks in the countryside don't think it's so "cool", either.

From a personal pespective, I can tell you that when a Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 at 75 mph crests a hill on a dirt road to discover a 10 mph John Deere 8800 with appropriate warning lights and signs taking up the road with a swather on the three point hitch, the John Deere tractor and driver escape with minor scratches. The Chevy (and it's driver) do not.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-04-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM

75 on a dirt road? That seems a bit fast.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Gosh, sorry to get anyone so riled up. Sunsprit, I disagree with you, but I respect your right to your opinion. I don't want to get into a heated debate here so I'll leave it at that.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
75 on a dirt road? That seems a bit fast.
That's "only 10 mph" over the speed limit, although not very prudent to do given the limited sight distance on the county roads around here.

Especially during the middle of the summer in harvest season with lots of gear being transported from field to field and knowing that harvesting is done on a 24/7 basis. When the hay is ready to be cut, or baled, it's ready and must be done as quickly as possible. So, if moving gear when a field is done at 10PM is when it happens so the equipment can be ready in the next field before sun-up, so be it.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
That's "only 10 mph" over the speed limit, although not very prudent to do given the limited sight distance on the county roads around here.

Especially during the middle of the summer in harvest season with lots of gear being transported from field to field and knowing that harvesting is done on a 24/7 basis. When the hay is ready to be cut, or baled, it's ready and must be done as quickly as possible. So, if moving gear when a field is done at 10PM is when it happens so the equipment can be ready in the next field before sun-up, so be it.
Where in Wyoming, or anyplace else, is there a 65MPH limit posted on a dirt road? I've been driving for over fifty years and I've never seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming