Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM

43 posts, read 98,661 times

Advertisements

What are you going to do with your $13 dollars a week stimulus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:50 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,256 times
Really, this will really make us rich. I thought we were all receiving checks again. How is $13 going to jump start a slow economy.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
emh

298 posts, read 851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Really, this will really make us rich. I thought we were all receiving checks again. How is $13 going to jump start a slow economy.
The idea is that if you give people a little bit of money at a time, they'll spend it. As opposed to giving it to them all at once. In which case, they tend to save it. I'm not saying I agree with this idea, but that's the theory.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 AM

254 posts, read 878,828 times
Frankly, $13 is laughable and I really don't want it. I'd rather the federal govenment not do me any favors and just stay out of it (life) and not pretend it was doing me some kind of favor by "giving" me my own money. But then I wouldn't feel so beholden, would I....

I'd also rather they just left me more of the money that I earn and let me spend it as I see fit--it would certainly get spent more wisely than I trust them to spend if for me--and it would certainly get spent supporting the economy in my own way.

I'm sorry, but I see Congress as a bunch of hypocritical liars (I had other words other than "liars" and am trying to be "PC"--another tangent in itself). I think that instead of demanding that the CEO's of all these companies being investigated make $1 a year that they (Congress) should be making the same. It is, after all, supposed to be "public service," right? Ironic they can vote themselves each a $93K "stipend" (and this just in last couple of weeks) to help them "serve" their constituents.

So yes, I digressed, and probably stirred the proverbial pot. My doing so will inevitably get this thread shut down. I'll offer my apologies now as I try not to do that on purpose--I must've gotten stimulated.....

Must. Remain. PC....

Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 AM

419 posts, read 602,671 times
Actually its a one time check for 400.00

Old 02-13-2009, 09:21 AM

43 posts, read 98,661 times
I agree with cloudfish on all points. Instead of investigating the CEOs there needs to be a investigation of Congress . but they would be probably be the ones doing the investigating.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:20 PM

44 posts, read 120,268 times
Default OMG I love sane people......

OMG!! I love sane people (Conservative Wyoming ).....I wish you were all Congressmen....these guys and gals we have in Washington are insane! I can not believe they are passing this stimulus package!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 PM

142 posts, read 358,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plovedupont View Post
Actually its a one time check for 400.00
I believe you are mistaken; all the media sources that I have read are reporting that this stimulus payment will be distributed in the form of a reduction in payroll taxes:

Here's how the compromise bill is expected to affect individuals:

Most individuals will get a $400 tax credit, and most couples will get an $800 credit. That amounts to an extra $13 a week in a person's paycheck, starting in June. That's less than what Obama campaigned on: $500 for individuals and $1,000 per couple.
Source - CNN.Com 2/13/09

Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
Q: What are some of the tax breaks in the bill? A: It includes Obama's signature "Making Work Pay" tax credit for 95 percent of workers, though negotiators agreed to trim the credit to $400 a year instead of $500 — or $800 for married couples, cut from Obama's original proposal of $1,000. It would begin showing up in most workers' paychecks in June as an extra $13 a week in take-home pay, falling to about $8 a week next January.

Meltdown 101: Highlights of economic stimulus plan (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_on_bi_ge/meltdown101_stimulus_plan_2 - broken link)

Old 02-14-2009, 01:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
,,, this stimulus payment will be distributed in the form of a reduction in payroll taxes:,,,
Most individuals will get a $400 tax credit, and most couples will get an $800 credit. ...
guess it will only stimulate those lucky enough to still have a job...(I haven't even been eligible for unemployment since Aug of '05)

Mine was yanked 4 yrs ago, after 32 yrs of service, but 6 wks shy of retirement. I don't feel so bad now, one of my ex-coworkers was let go 1Feb, and he was 13 days away from retirement. He just got custody of two grandkids ages 4 and 6, so medical insurance would have been real nice... I'm sure the 'super-spenders' will help us out here as well... Sounds like they will start helping the 'employed' pay more of their share of medical premiums.

Folks I hate to break the news...There are no new jobs coming. You note the rhetoric "Save or create jobs" . You know what that really says... "We're Not gonna do anything that you can measure, or that we have to answer to"

i.e. thanks for the vote, get lost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming