Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM

6 posts, read 21,855 times

Advertisements

I have had a job opportunity dropped in my lap in Wyoming, a state I actually never thought of relocating to. At 1st I thought, no way! Then I started researching the state and sort of had 2nd thoughts with no state income tax, castle doctrine in place,etc.
I searched all the posts and cant find some answers so I am going to throw out there what we are looking for.Maybe one of the experts will have some feedback. I do have the flexibility of moving anywhere in the state, I just have to be in the state.

Most of the state looks like flat, windy, scrub brush praire land. What part of the state is more treed, alpine topography besides Jackson Hole ? which I cant afford. Esp an area not windy, the wind would drive me nuts.

We'd like to be somewhat rural but not isolated...any nice family friendly small towns with the above topography to look at? Think along the lines of a small,modest house with 10-20 acres around $300-400k.

Lastly, low crime. Coming from gang infested Arizona anything may be safer but I would like advise on a possible area without a huge meth problem which apparently is around the oil/ energy production areas in the NE corner from other posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 AM

29 posts, read 93,505 times
Default Thermopoolis

I would take a long look at Thermopolis.

Last edited by belami28; 02-24-2009 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,049,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2leaveaz View Post
I have had a job opportunity dropped in my lap in Wyoming, a state I actually never thought of relocating to. At 1st I thought, no way! Then I started researching the state and sort of had 2nd thoughts with no state income tax, castle doctrine in place,etc.
I searched all the posts and cant find some answers so I am going to throw out there what we are looking for.Maybe one of the experts will have some feedback. I do have the flexibility of moving anywhere in the state, I just have to be in the state.

Most of the state looks like flat, windy, scrub brush praire land. What part of the state is more treed, alpine topography besides Jackson Hole ? which I cant afford. Esp an area not windy, the wind would drive me nuts.

Most of the state is prairie land, with the exception of the "alpine" areas of the West, North, and Central South. Look at a map of the state and you'll see the various National Forest areas around Cody, Casper, Jackson, Lander, Laramie, Sheridan. All have wind to some extent, with the Laramie and Casper areas being the strongest (among the highest wind energy densities in the USA). So, if wind is a big issue for you, Wyoming is not going to be the "right place".

We'd like to be somewhat rural but not isolated...any nice family friendly small towns with the above topography to look at? Think along the lines of a small,modest house with 10-20 acres around $300-400k.

Price range is not realistic for the "alpine" areas of the state. You could buy a pretty nice place in a town such as Lander for that price range, but not acreage in a rural alpine setting outside of town. Many towns don't have much in the way of amenities, and when you reach the edge of town, it goes from "town" to "nothing" (either public lands, or large ranch/ag holdings). The distances between incorporated towns can be vast in some portions of the state. "Rural but not isolated" in your price range would more likely apply to an outlying area around a bigger community such as Cheyenne, Laramie, Sheridan, or Cody.

Lastly, low crime. Coming from gang infested Arizona anything may be safer but I would like advise on a possible area without a huge meth problem which apparently is around the oil/ energy production areas in the NE corner from other posts.
[color="blue"]Compared to where you're coming from, all of Wyoming is a "low crime" area. IMO, the reason "meth" shows up on the radar so much is because there's so little total crime to report, so alcohol and drug abuse become glaring issues ... with cause, of course. Most recent reports show meth use is on the decline in the area. If you look at a typical "police blotter" column in the WTE or Casper newspaper, you'll see that the majority of arrests are alcohol or drug related.[COLOR]

Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
The biggest problem we have with drugs is how they are reported. It's a money issue.

For instance. You'll see one area that has great tourist trade and a low drug case load. Another area will be high on drug problems. It's a matter of economics. The tourist area has good money coming in and can afford a decent police force so the drug violations are classified as a Cat 1, 2, or 3. Only a 1 being reported. (Dealing and such) Where the next area doesn't have the money from tourism and they need outside assistance to beef up things like the police force. So they report Cat 1, 2, and 3. This gets them more Federal and State funding.

In reality, I haven't seen a real big problem anywhere in the state. Not like I have in many other states I've lived in. Is there drugs? Sure. Is it a problem? Sure, always is and always will be. Is it anything to worry about? Not at all.

Simple common sense. Don't live where all the houses are run down and the neighborhood is trashy. You'll be fine.

I worked at the jail here for a while and there actually weren't that many drug offenders in there. And what was in there was for some pretty minor offences.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,209,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belami28 View Post
Why Thermopolis? Yes, the hot springs pools are nice and the canyon is pretty, but living there isn't so pretty. Of all the places I've lived it was my least favorite place due mostly to the people there. Just my honest opinion. I wondered why you would recommend it. I can't think of many places there with the acreage the OP is wanting for the price they want to pay, either.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,049,563 times
I would recommend looking at Sheridan and Buffalo... Up in Sheridan we are kind of the banana belt of of Wyoming... As you start going further south, the more windy you get... It is very windy in Cheyenne and windy in Casper... although some people like Casper... but with wind being an issue,

I would concentrate on Northeast or Northwest Wyo.

Cody is another option. It is not too far from Yellowstone, although I am not sure about the affordability and housing there..

Here in Sheridan I have started to see a lot more rentals pop up, and every so slightly come down in price, but still up there a little.. But better than they used to be a couple years ago...

In Sheridan, we are only 120 miles from Billings,Mt a place we often go for items with no sales tax. Billings is the biggest city in Montana, so a lot up there. Although groceries are not taxed in Wyo.

I can say, the no income tax, and the gun laws really drew my family here. We are a lot better off financially here, and like the easy going gun laws. There are more wildlife than people in Wyo, so guns and hunting are just a way of life out here...

Check out these websites...
The Sheridan Front Page
Sheridan Media - Sheridan WY News - KROE - KZWY - KYTI - KWYO - KLQQ
http://www.buffalobulletin.com/
http://www.codyenterprise.com

Best of luck on your relocation...

Last edited by Kristynwy; 02-24-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

29 posts, read 93,505 times
I never lived in Thermopolis, so other than having friends living there, your right. I had a good time with my friends. diesel car people, and thought I might like to live there. I've lived in th SW so long. I might as well forget about cold country. You can live just about anywhere. if you have friends. I suppose there is Lusk. LOL.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,780,585 times
Quote:
I never lived in Thermopolis, so other than having friends living there, your right. I had a good time with my friends. diesel car people, and thought I might like to live there. I've lived in th SW so long. I might as well forget about cold country. You can live just about anywhere. if you have friends. I suppose there is Lusk. LOL.
Very nicely said! I totally agree it would be more fun to live near friends than to live in the most visually beautiful location on earth. I am not really sure just where Thermopolis is located but I know from traveling around the state of Wyoming that each area has it's own unique charm if you open your eyes to appreciate differences. With friends any where is an adventure shared.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 21,855 times
Thank you to everyone on the input! Keep them coming if you have em but the feedback already has helped me focus a bit.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 PM

16 posts, read 69,155 times
Quote:
Ummmm... While Thermopolis would fit the descriptor of not too windy, it's far from being a "treed and alpine topography." The town itself sits at 4300' and sits in a hole surrounded by badlands. I actually find the towns location quite beautiful; but I don't think it fits our OP's desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming