Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM

42 posts, read 171,932 times

Advertisements

I was there at the end of September. I didn't notice a way to hike down there, but admit I wasn't looking for a way. I did see a couple go off way to the right (facing the restaurant), so maybe there was access off that way.

I took a lot of photos. I'll share a couple.
Attached Thumbnails
hell's half acre access-picture-004-1-small-.jpg   hell's half acre access-picture-008-1-small-.jpg   hell's half acre access-picture-014-1-small-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Does anyone know who owns Hell's Half Acre? I seem to recall that it is privately owned.
The last I had heard (2005) was that the county owned the property and since it didn't seem that there were any prospects as far as buyers were concerned; they were trying to decide what to actually do with the place.
I do know that there were some Archaeologists that were hoping to have an Archaeology Center built there.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,724 times
Planning to stop there this summer and camp overnight to see sunset and sunrise - do we need permission and who would we ask - remember stopping there years ago

Old 02-11-2015, 03:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I would call the County first.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanebenson View Post
Planning to stop there this summer and camp overnight to see sunset and sunrise - do we need permission and who would we ask - remember stopping there years ago
when I drove past last summer, the parking lot access to the old buildings was chained off and no trespass signs were posted around the buildings.

you might dry camp with an RV in the vicinity of the property and perhaps get a glimpse of the canyon, but for all intents the access to the old view site is blocked off and posted.

the adjacent properties are all private land, perhaps you could get permission from one of them to get closer to the canyon edge.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
Detective question:

The history books say indians used to drive buffalo into the canyon, trap them there and hunt them. A movie company shot "Starship Troopers" there. If indians, buffalo and movie companies can get in there, how can the OP? Is there some more accessible area that isn't located next to the restaurant?

Old 02-12-2015, 05:57 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
It's easier to go down into a canyon than back up and out of it.

The only difference now is the county doesn't support access and the rest of the surrounding boundaries are private.

My kids and I used to go out a few summer mornings. The kids loved playing games down in there. Lots of room to whoop and holler and race around. Lots of hiding places, too. I say summer mornings, because once it heated up, it was really hot! Kind of like the Powder River breaks country.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:28 AM

399 posts, read 685,374 times
I just googled it on wikipedia- it says as of 2005 the restaurant and motel have been torn down. That area is fenced off but there is an interpretive sign near the old restaurant. It isn't clear if the whole thing is fenced off though....

Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
I just googled it on wikipedia- it says as of 2005 the restaurant and motel have been torn down. That area is fenced off but there is an interpretive sign near the old restaurant. It isn't clear if the whole thing is fenced off though....
I read this post and was wondering what I'd been looking at in more recent years ... especially since I'd wandered around the old abandoned and falling down restaurant, even in the back area with some of the decrepit fixtures and old stoves and such sitting out and rotting/rusting away. This was before they'd chained off the parking lot driveway and posted the property, but my first visit was in 2011.

The Wiki post reads a little differently than your reading:

"As of December 2005, the roadside restaurant and motel/campground sitting atop the ravine were closed. The motel and the abandoned restaurant have since been torn down.[2][3] The area is fenced off, but there is an interpretive sign west of the former restaurant."

What they're saying is that sometime after the 2005 closing of the facilities, the buildings were torn down. IIRC, that would have been in 2013 ....

Old 02-13-2015, 11:51 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
I was there last August. The restaurant was closed. You can drive towards the rear area, away from the main road, to see the view but it is fenced off. There is a big gap in the fence that people have been going through but it was clear from the signs they don't want anyone down in there. The terrain is EXTREMELY steep and rugged. Even if you managed to make your way down without breaking your neck I doubt you could just climb back up. I suspect you'd have to go around one side or the other, if that's even possible. BUT... you can still get lots of great pics from the fence line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming