Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,004,833 times

Advertisements

What we all may be missing from this thread is that for us "locals" with years of experience driving these "not terribly adverse" conditions except in "a few spots" ... someone like the OP may have been an accident statistic looking for an opportunity to make their mark. The OP was obviously concerned about possible road/driving conditions in the area, and they can be rather daunting for many people without the experience and judgement to know where to look on the road for hazards ... and to slow down to a controllable speed in a timely manner, and how to deal with the hydroplaning, sliding on ice, or plowing through slush on the road.

The HP has to operate the roads to the lowest common denominator driver in today's litigious society, plus it makes a lot more work for first responders if there's a bunch of unnecessary acccidents out there in the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,167,966 times
I just got the accurate information on that April blizzard that I made reference to a few posts back. I was a year off. Here's the recap, from today's Gillette News-Record:

• April 24-27, 1984: The worst late spring blizzard to hit Wyoming. Winds as high as 65 miles per hour whipped 3 feet of snow into 15- to 20-foot drifts and shut down northeast Wyoming for two days. Two ranchers died and numerous livestock were killed.

Compared to that one, our latest blizzard was just a pleasant day or two off from work.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,286 times
Default Made it (update years later)

I found my original post again 10 years later!! Haha and yes, I did make it to Thermop but they closed the road due to high winds so I had to sit it out in Casper for a few hours. Now I'm making the trek again and found my old post. So fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming