Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,186,837 times

Advertisements

Yeah, bells are a good idea.

I've visited areas in Alaska that were thick with brown bears (grizzlies). When we spotted one approaching us on the trail we'd simply step off the trail and start talking to them... "Hi bear, hi bear. How are you today?" Just keep talking -- nothing loud to startle them, for the purpose of the noise isn't to scare them away but to let them know you're there before they suddenly see you, are startled, and strike at you. They're nearly blind, and if the wind is in the wrong direction, they can walk right up to you before they realize you're there.

I've had huge brown bears pass by me close enough to reach out and touch them. I just kept talking to them as they ambled by ignoring me. Grizzlies/browns aren't out to get us. I'm sure there are a few that have had run-ins with humans and consider us the enemy, but the huge majority will leave you alone if you leave them alone and don't have food/fish on or about you.

The food is the biggest problem. Bears can't see much, but their sense of smell is better than we can imagine. If you smell like fish or bacon, you're asking for trouble. If you're in grizzly country, don't cook, eat, or store your food near your sleeping area.

Shooting a grizzly with a handgun could be one of the dumbest stunts you'd ever pull, and would probably be the last one. Anything less than a .44 mag would mostly irritate the beast, and even a well-placed slug through his heart won't save you unless you're 100 yards away. They can run a long ways after being hit, and they'll be mad as hell. I wouldn't shoot one unless he was obviously attacking me.

Black bears, of course, are pretty easy to live with. They'll scare easily and run away, but I wouldn't want to startle one of them either if he was too close.

Other than polar bears, bears are not predators of humans. Respect them, don't get between them and their offspring or their food, and we can all live in harmony.

Edit:
If you have fish you're carrying back to camp, wrap them in double (or triple) garbage bags or large zip-loc bags. And if you happen to be landing one when a bear approaches, simply cut your line.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 03-31-2009 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:47 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,076,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Yeah, bells are a good idea.

I've visited areas in Alaska that were thick with brown bears (grizzlies). When we spotted one approaching us on the trail we'd simply step off the trail and start talking to them... "Hi bear, hi bear. How are you today?" Just keep talking -- nothing loud to startle them, for the purpose of the noise isn't to scare them away but to let them know you're there before they suddenly see you, are startled, and strike at you. They're nearly blind, and if the wind is in the wrong direction, they can walk right up to you before they realize you're there.

I've had huge brown bears pass by me close enough to reach out and touch them. I just kept talking to them as they ambled by ignoring me. Grizzlies/browns aren't out to get us. I'm sure there are a few that have had run-ins with humans and consider us the enemy, but the huge majority will leave you alone if you leave them alone and don't have food/fish on or about you.

The food is the biggest problem. Bears can't see much, but their sense of smell is better than we can imagine. If you smell like fish or bacon, you're asking for trouble. If you're in grizzly country, don't cook, eat, or store your food near your sleeping area.

Shooting a grizzly with a handgun could be one of the dumbest stunts you'd ever pull, and would probably be the last one. Anything less than a .44 mag would mostly irritate the beast, and even a well-placed slug through his heart won't save you unless you're 100 yards away. They can run a long ways after being hit, and they'll be mad as hell. I wouldn't shoot one unless he was obviously attacking me.

Black bears, of course, are pretty easy to live with. They'll scare easily and run away, but I wouldn't want to startle one of them either if he was too close.

Other than polar bears, bears are not predators of humans. Respect them, don't get between them and their offspring or their food, and we can all live in harmony.
Excellent post! Reps to you.
And yes, don't make the mistake of thinking a handgun will fend off a charging bear.
I met my first brown bear last summer when fishing for salmon. They are quick regardless of their size, and I wasn't about to argue with it over the fish.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 PM

14 posts, read 33,315 times
sweet info! we have bears in mich but they are few and far between. we can't wait to get to wyoming

Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM

123 posts, read 213,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandjess View Post
soooo if i were say hiking in yellowstone with my kids I should attach jingle bells to them?? because that will be hilarious!!!!
Absolutely. Tie 1-2 to their shoes. They'll love it, the kids that is... We do this when we go on our fly-in fishing trips to Canada when hiking through the bush and portaging around the lakes.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 35,378 times
Thanks every one for your help we a lot of black bears in VA but there not any thing like the one out there.

The guns for the most part is protection from other things that a man can run up on you just never know these days.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:01 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,575,012 times
Be sure to read the bear warning on the sign (see the link below).
It starts out "Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field."

Here's the link:
http://www.funmeme.com/archive/2008/...ning-sign.aspx

Old 04-02-2009, 05:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,851,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Be sure to read the bear warning on the sign (see the link below).
It starts out "Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field."

Here's the link:
http://www.funmeme.com/archive/2008/...ning-sign.aspx
Oh My Goodness, Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. That was tooooo funny. Thanks for the laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming