Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to be a Democrat and live in Wyoming? Are there any parts of cities or towns, that are more liberal in Wyoming than conservative? Or is everyone basically right wing envangelical conservative republican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM

264 posts, read 1,093,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
Is it possible to be a Democrat and live in Wyoming? Are there any parts of cities or towns, that are more liberal in Wyoming than conservative?
No more possible than it is to be a conservative Republican living in Boston.

Quote:
Or is everyone basically right wing envangelical conservative republican?
Yes. Wyoming is a hotbed for fascist, Jesus-freakshows who are being recruited by right-wing domestic terrorist organizations because we served our country honorably, and without political motivations.

The fact is, there are a good number of Democrats in the state and everyone gets along just fine. I think if you browse around the Wyoming forum, you'd find that most people don't focus on race, religion, political party, etc. They tend to focus more on the type of neighbor we are to each other. I wish every state were more like Wyoming in that regard.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Is it possible to be a Democrat and live in Wyoming?
I would suggest that if you are a liberal democrat, Wyoming probably isn't the place for you. The things that make Wyoming desirable to those that want to live there are the things most liberal democrats despise. The things that most liberal democrats stand for are the things most Wyoming residents despise. For example, most folks in Wyoming take care of themselves and their neighbors and don't depend on the government to do so for them.

Why would you be interested in Wyoming if you're a liberal democrat? There are plenty of other places much better suited for you, such as San Francisco, Santa Barbara, or many other places in California or Massachusetts.

Quote:
Are there any parts of cities or towns, that are more liberal in Wyoming than conservative?
That said, yes, there are pockets of Wyoming where there is a more liberal attitude, though I don't think I would say they are the majority in most of these places.

Quote:
Or is everyone basically right wing envangelical conservative republican?
I detect a hint of condescention. Why is it that these labels are thrown out whenever the subject is anyone other than liberal democrats? Do you not believe that these terms can be used independently? Many of the folks in Wyoming are conservative. Many are Republicans. Quite a few are "right wing," and quite a few are Evangelicals. I wouldn't say that basically everyone in Wyoming is all of those things, though some are.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Isn't Wyoming basically libertarian?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
For some value(s) of 'libertarian', yes.

If you're expecting Wyomingites to legalize marijuana sometime soon so we have an instant influx of stoners... I would not bet on that. Same as Nevada. Rural Nevada is very libertarian... until you get to the question of dope. Then the issue becomes, much as it is in Wyoming, not the dope itself, but the people who make it a central part of their choice on where to live and what to do. And folks look at dopers and say "Eh, they don't look like such great neighbors..." and vote against legalization or decriminalization of drugs.

I would say that rural Nevada is more libertarian than Wyoming in that they have legal prostitution. I seriously doubt that Wyoming is going to legalize and tax cathouses any time soon. Wyoming allows the sale of wholesale fireworks, whereas they're banned in Nevada, so there's that difference in Wyoming's favor. But most liberal Democrats would get tired of rural Nevada just as fast or faster than they'd get tired of Wyoming.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I could get behind libertarianism myself. I love the concept.

I just wish more libertarians were anti-Republican. Republicans are a greater threat to libertarians...as they masquerade and SAY they are 'for' the things that libertarians are for, yet time and time again, the Republicans put us into more massive debt, etc.

That being said, if you are fiscal conservative libertarian.

If you are social conservative...than it might be questionable if you even are a libertarian, as you just wish to put a lot of restrictions on all kinds of people.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,324 times
Quote:
Is it possible to be a Democrat and live in Wyoming? Are there any parts of cities or towns, that are more liberal in Wyoming than conservative? Or is everyone basically right wing envangelical conservative republican?
That's a pretty stupid question on your part.

Our governor is a Democrat, so the fact that he a) lives here and b) got elected here disproves your thesis from the get-go.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
I really wonder, too, why you would lump all of those things in one description of a person living in Wyoming. I am democrat, don't see myself as either liberal or conservative, and am a member of a church that's denomination is the Evangelical Church of N. America. One nice thing about living in Wyoming is that you can be almost anything you want to be, and like another poster stated, if you are a good neighbor and treat people right, you will fit right in!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
a democratic enclave is what the US is or claim to be a democratic goverment, oh you mean democrat to republican etc

Old 04-21-2009, 12:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
You can be anything you care to be in Wyoming as long as you are opposed to gun control. If you are in favor of gun control, you will be a pariah.

I am not saying this with sarcasm or irony. It is the simple truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming