Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 22,406 times

Advertisements

I have a question...

I have been offered a job in the WDOC, and will likely attend the academy in July. The academy is in Rawlins, where I will likely be working afterwards.

I'm from the Michigan, but with the poor economy, I am looking at other options. The Corrections element presented itself, so I am pursuing it. I've got a Masters of Science, so will likely try down the line to move into something else within the state...

Anyway...My question is this. What is the dating scene like in WY? I really am curious with regards to this. How do people date with such a distance between towns and such? I'm really not into the whole hunting/fishing thing, so I will likely have to find other interests. I like dancing, and I'm really not into country music, but I understand that this is pretty much all that's available in WY. I am just curious about how one dates in an area like Rawlins, etc. Is it difficult? I'm in my 30's, never married, and no children. I'm normally fussy with regards as to who I date. I've kept myself up pretty well, and look for the same.

I've been told by some people who've lived in WY, that there's not a lot of really attractive single women. Now, I'm not going to judge anything until I've been there, but when more than one person makes thes statement, it elicits a red flag for further investigation.

I know my question is perhaps shallow, and I apologize. I'd still feel better having some fair answers though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 04:32 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I don't think your question is shallow at all. It's a reality for many people to be social. But you're taking a really tough path here for the sake of a job in what may be setting yourself up for a very lonely, if not hostile, environment.

My general response wouldn't be limited to Rawlins, because you're going to have to participate in the local social activities if you're going to have any reasonable chance of meeting people, especially ones who share your interests.

School, church, service organizations, common interest groups (camping, skiing, hiking, outdoor sports, team sports, fishing, equine, etc), charity work, public work projects, theater, bars ... or wherever people congregate to meet and interact with each other ... are typical places to meet people who share your values and expectations.

So, if you don't like the prevailing Rawlins music/dance scene, don't like the prevailing outdoor activities there, don't have high expectations of social interaction ... it's only a town of about 10,000 people, you've already limited yourself to work study and work venues to meet people.

My bet is you're going to be awfully disappointed with Wyoming just on the basis of small demographics and uncommon interests. Coming to Wyoming with full intentions to leave ASAP for another career and locale already limits you to very few people out of the acceptable to you possible dating pool.

I don't mean to discourage you from coming to Wyoming, but is it possible there's potential employment in a field where you'd be happier for the long term in a location where you would like to stay? A bigger city with more population and activities you'd like to do?

Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I don't think your question is shallow at all. It's a reality for many people to be social. But you're taking a really tough path here for the sake of a job in what may be setting yourself up for a very lonely, if not hostile, environment.

My general response wouldn't be limited to Rawlins, because you're going to have to participate in the local social activities if you're going to have any reasonable chance of meeting people, especially ones who share your interests.

School, church, service organizations, common interest groups (camping, skiing, hiking, outdoor sports, team sports, fishing, equine, etc), charity work, public work projects, theater, bars ... or wherever people congregate to meet and interact with each other ... are typical places to meet people who share your values and expectations.

So, if you don't like the prevailing Rawlins music/dance scene, don't like the prevailing outdoor activities there, don't have high expectations of social interaction ... it's only a town of about 10,000 people, you've already limited yourself to work study and work venues to meet people.

My bet is you're going to be awfully disappointed with Wyoming just on the basis of small demographics and uncommon interests. Coming to Wyoming with full intentions to leave ASAP for another career and locale already limits you to very few people out of the acceptable to you possible dating pool.

I don't mean to discourage you from coming to Wyoming, but is it possible there's potential employment in a field where you'd be happier for the long term in a location where you would like to stay? A bigger city with more population and activities you'd like to do?
You raise good points. Granted, WY would not be my first choice to move toward, but since I need a job, and have had limited luck in MI, I need to pursue other opportunities. WY is doing the recruiting in MI, and I haven't seen other companies doing this. My hope is that I can gain some experience, and save some money, and perhaps move in an area or position where I might rather prefer.

However, in the mean time, I do need to be social. I have a pretty open mind, and am trying to be upbeat about everything. You do raise good points about various places to meet people. I'm Catholic (raised in a very Latin American Catholic background), so church could be an option. I'm never one to turn away from a drink, so definitely a bar is an option. I've done various charity work and volunteer work for npo's is an option as well.

I do appreciate your comments. Do you find the women there to be very attractive? I'm not limiting myself to just the Rawlins area, but figured since everything was so far away that distance might be an issue. However, maybe it wouldn't be.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
KnightD ... you'd best look at a map of Wyoming. Rawlins sits along the I80 corridor in virtually nowhere fly-over country, very isolated. It's 100 miles either East or West to the next metropolis of any size, 20-30K population.

The "towns" between Rawlins and Laramie or Rock Springs are little more than highway exit stops, with residential areas nearby with a few limited shopping conveniences (fuel, c-stores, a small restaurant or two ... and some have none of these). People live there for access to energy or extractive industry jobs, or for isolated ranching operations. You're simply not going to find a lot of attractive single women living in these places, they're going to be in the larger urban communities (few and far between in Wyoming).

Climate, pay scales, living conditions, hard work in these small places aren't bringing in a party atmosphere single population seeking relationships .... these are mostly seriously dedicated workers and family people, generally speaking.

So, yes, distance plays a huge factor in finding like-minded singles in your area.

As far as "attractive" goes ... if you're looking for some stereotyped "beauty", it's not high on the value scales here in Wyoming. It's simply rare to have the luxury of time and opportunity to be sitting around primping to get ready to go feed the livestock or operate a piece of heavy equipment.

One other point ... you mention coming out here to try and save some money for the longer view ... unless you're hiring in at the top of the pay scales, I doubt you'll have any money to save given the very tight/expensive housing marketplace in the "boom" areas of Wyoming.

Best of luck with your relocation.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If I was looking (again, and I hope I never have to...)
I'd be fetching a farm / ranch gal from ND, MT or WYO. I've found ND gals, in particular, and farm/ranch gals in general, to be very attractive to my tastes, and they are often well schooled, not into 'entitlements', and hard workers.

regarding dating... that would not be my direction... I'm more into courting, (yes, old school, it is REALLY important to get to know the parents, as it is probable the kids will eventually emulate them, as much as we don't want to even IMAGINE THAT !) so... The best luck I had was in taking PE classes at a local community college, (tennis, swimming, Volleyball) or, city league sports. Or dance classes, or gardening, photography or hiking clubs (I never resorted to 'quilting...'). But I found mine in church after befreinding her sisters... I actually think your chances of finding a good relationship is BETTER in the (semi) boonies, as the 'typical school/university scene' is way impersonal. Go find yourself a friend and let it grow from there, and you will grow in the process...don't get into the 'romance' thing, just have a good time till you find the right one. (you'll know...). Laramie would do for a 1 time /wk get-to-gether. Shoot, I used to frequent the dance at KayCee, and even dropped into Hawk Springs on occasion. (those are not metropolis's, but there was some FINE WY pick'n)

Do consider the points made by "sunspirit", and be prepared for an interesting career with adequate mental / physical abuse. And Rawlings is not exactly a great spot. I do appreciate those who serve in DOC capacity, and had several farmer friends who had to pull night shifts at state pen to support their day habit (farming).

Old 04-14-2007, 07:18 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
If you're looking to be here for a year and want to bank a lot of money, you might want to look into employment in the oil fields or with the coal companies. They pay a LOT better than you'll find elsewhere in the state.

As far as girls go, sunspirit and janb are very accurate in their assessment of the social scene. Most girls either marry their high school boyfriend and stay forever, or else they go off to college and never return.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
If you're looking to be here for a year and want to bank a lot of money, you might want to look into employment in the oil fields or with the coal companies. They pay a LOT better than you'll find elsewhere in the state.
You do make a good point. However, I've been offered the job in corrections, and I don't really have a background for the oil fields. I will likely work a lot of overtime in corrections for a year and then try to leverage a job in one of the nearby states CO, WA, or NV in law enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
As far as girls go, sunspirit and janb are very accurate in their assessment of the social scene. Most girls either marry their high school boyfriend and stay forever, or else they go off to college and never return.
That's too bad. It's ok for them if that's their thing, but for me, it sounds like I won't be too socially active based on what I'm hearing. At least I can save some money while I'm there. I don't plan on buying a home. Maybe just rent a room or a studio apt. It really sounds like a huge culture shock going from the Metro Detroit area with the clubs and museums that I'm used to, and going to WY. At least it's a stable job with benefits, and once I'm working for the state, I may do what I said earlier, or try to work in the state closer to Cheyenne or a more populated area.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:25 AM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
First, don't sell yourself short or think that you're "unqualified" for jobs in Wyo. We have a real shortage of able bodied workers, and the railroads and energy industries are paying top dollar and are willing to train you.

Second, you'll "only" be 100 miles from the University of Wyoming campus in Laramie. Coming from Detroit, you probably think that 100 miles is an impossibly long drive, but by Wyoming standards, it's not that big a deal. It's not uncommon for people to drive 100-200 miles to see the Cowboys play football or basketball. You might want to check out the female students at UW (either on-line or in person).

Best of luck and welcome to Wyoming!!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,789 times
KnightD

Huge culture shock is a gross understatement for what you're in for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming