Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,527,238 times

Advertisements

Where do the natives live around Jackson or Jackson Hole? Where is affordable housing for all those bartenders, waitresses, nurses, teachers and others who cannot afford $1MM homes and up? What cities are close enough to Jackson Hole to work there and not kill themselves driving two hours to work?
Wyoming is a fantastic State, and have been in Jackson Hole many times, and love it. But how do people afford to LIVE and WORK there when you are an average wage earner?
Since this is an area we are considering, can anyone suggest somewhere to look for cheaper housing. Trust me, we cannot afford a house over a million dollars even if we pooled our money together.

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 07-03-2006 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 AM

5 posts, read 105,834 times
Default Affordable housing in Jackson - an oxymoron?

The issue of affordable housing can make, or more likely break, relocation plans to the Jackson area. After vacationing in nearby Moose for several years, I started working on my own relocation to Jackson Hole.

As amazing as Jackson is, I found that most service workers have several roomates to share housing expenses, most people rent instead of buy, and that even full-time work is low-paying with health insurance not even a basic offering. Coming from a full-time job with full benefits and affordable home ownership, the changes were hard to contemplate.

What I found:

Alpine, Star Valley or Thayne, Wyoming: A beautiful area with housing that is much more affordable than Jackson Hole. The (only) draw backs are 45 min + commutes into Jackson which can get tricky in the winter if they need to close the roads. Even with affordable housing, the social aspect is pretty important. Will you be taking your family, spouse or partner there? It's one thing if you have your own entertainment under your roof and you are an hour away from Jackson. It's another if you are single, living alone and then that far away from your best chance to socialize with others.

Victor and Driggs, Idaho: These towns are over the Teton Pass and again have much more affordable housing than Jackson. Driggs especially is beautiful, small and quiet. Depending on whether you are single or married that may be a good thing or a bad thing. Many, many people drive over the pass daily, but it can get hairy in bad weather and can also close during the winter season.

The Jackson Hole news is available online at http://www.jacksonholenews.com/. It's a good way to keep up with what is going on in that area and to check job and real estate listings.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 105,834 times
Default Teton County affordable housing

I just remembered, the Teton County, Wyoming website also has info on 'affordable' housing in the area. There are income limits and an application process. Check out the county website for more info.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:30 AM

246 posts, read 325,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie
Where do the natives live around Jackson or Jackson Hole?
If they didn't already own a house before Harrison Ford moved in, they live far, far away.

Magpies

Old 07-06-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Oh, brother!

Well, we all have our fantasies shot down one time or another...guess there goes mine about Jackson Hole living...haha!

Old 07-06-2006, 11:48 AM

33 posts, read 212,163 times
There are many other towns around the mountains that are much cheaper to live in but dont have the glamer as JH....

Old 07-06-2006, 05:34 PM

Just looking for cheap housing (compared to Jackson Hole anything will be cheaper, I'm sure), Jetta2337. Not looking for glamour as can drive to Jackson Hole to get that. Looking for ordinary housing. Something less than $150,000 for a house or condo even. I would even take a big studio if it weren't too expensive.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 PM

33 posts, read 212,163 times
There is Afton, or Pinedale around that area. It sounds like you want the mountain area's. Look to the Black Hills or the Big Horns.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 58,571 times
Default jackson hole housing

Much depends on your employer. Some of the employers in town have bought housing. I have lived here 32 years and my employer has bought some housing because of the difficulty of getting workers here. Driving to Alpine is certainly a solution, but be sure you have good tires and a 4WD or all wheel drive car. The road can be quite slippery in the winter.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM

227 posts, read 1,353,031 times
Why is housing so expensive in Jackson Hole?? It's in the middle of no where??

I mean it's obvious why places like NYC and San Fran are so expensive. Highly desirable and no more room, so it's valuable. But i don't understand why a city in the middle of wyoming is expensive. What do people do for work? The only thing i can think of that might fuel the economy is tourism.

Just trying to figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming