Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:48 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I suspect wyoming's 'low unemployment' is d/t the fact that so many workers here in the recent boom really aren't 'from' wyo to begin with - they just came here to work and have left when they got laid off/job ended.

Also, many of the towns with 'worker shortages' also have serious housing issues as well. the OP mentioned just renting a room - that is what everyone wants to do as well and even 'a room' was in serious short supply. It would seem to me the best thing to do would be live in a camp trailer.
As are spaces in trailer parks, which are not great bargain, either.

If you check the rental rates at most of the "boom towns" in Wyoming, it's not much different than rent on an apartment.

You cannot simply pull into the local city park and set up housekeeping, nor is it practical to live in the state or national parks and have ready access to the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
True, but these are skilled trades.

One simply doesn't walk in and apply for these jobs without training and experience. For welders, certification is a requirement in the mines, with a higher level of skill than a basic welder from a basic vo-tech course. Most diesel mechanic jobs require owning your own tools and having training in the trade. Neither is a skill set that you can "fake" on the job and get by.

I don't see where the OP has such a background. What's more noticeable is a 30 something without a track record of continued employment at something ... the poster suggests a lot of job-hopping through the years without having acquired any particular skills ... especially of the ones that create "something you can hit with a stick".

Since I know several out-of-work certified welders here in Wyoming right now due to the current job cutbacks, I wouldn't say there's a lot of opportunity right now here for that. Diesel techs are hiring in some places, but you'd best be prepared with your affordable housing lined up, and an investment in hand tools of the trade.
All of that is completely true. Still, the prospects for these jobs is better, on average, than the kid who goes to get some four-year liberal arts degree, comes out of school packing around a whoppin' large student loan with no marketable skills. When I'm asked to tell people what to aim at, it ain't art history or comparative literature.

The other thing about these skills is that one can, with work, pick them up without forking over a huge amount of money to learn them. Bang:buck ratio on these skills is much higher than most other jobs these days.

And even if our Fearless Leaders, none of whom seems to have the foggiest notion of the laws of thermodynamics, get their way -- these sorts of skills will be in demand as we go thundering down the dead-end road of "alternative energy," chasing unicorns that crap Skittles as they jump over rainbows that appear on sunny, cloudless days.

I mean, the alternatives are pretty grim. What is one going to do? Write grant proposals on how to choreograph the unicorns that crap skittles?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDave View Post
When I'm asked to tell people what to aim at, it ain't art history or comparative literature.
Agreed. We need more people like you, NVDave. Now I hate to sound like a nanny-state liberal, but I think every college student who selects a major like that should be required to sign a statement acknowledging that although the subject material may be interesting and in rare instances can lead to a satisfying career in academia, the employment/income prospects for such an undergraduate major are incredibly limited.

Quote:
Chasing unicorns that crap Skittles as they jump over rainbows that appear on sunny, cloudless days.
Man, that really reminds me of all those years I spent living in Boulder, Colorado!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Job hunters, keep in mind, especially when considering Wyoming and North Dakota for jobs, that while the unemployment rate may be relatively low, the actual number of job openings is too. The total population of both states is barely over one million -- less than the population of major U.S. cities. Therefore, it might be wise to compare unemployment rates of cities, if you have nothing against cities. I'm sure you'll find many with lower unemployment rates than either Wyoming or North Dakota.
Well, I'm not sure how one can compare entire states to cities in terms of employment opportunities, but I think you are very wise to point out how low the population is in Wyoming and North Dakota. I think this is a big factor to consider in moving to these states.

Here's an interesting WSJ article: In North Dakota, the Good Times Are Still Rolling - WSJ.com

Heck, I had no idea the pop. is that low. 640,000 in North Dakota. That is the population of just the city of Denver!

Well I'm impressed with the responses so far! You guys have given me good info to start researching further....

Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 AM

304 posts, read 904,338 times
I don't think cost of living in Wyoming is low. Our groceries are expensive, as is our gas and in Cody - housing is ridiculously expensive...not in line with pay (google) There was a snowstorm yesterday - enough to break trees and wreck gardens. The mature trees lean to the east as the winds ravage them from the west...and some are even bare on the west side. At times, I feel isolated and depressed when the winds are constant. I've lived in Lovell (predominate religious culture) and worland (very isolated). There are clicks as there are anywhere, but interestingly enough...very close minded and intolerant of different strokes for different folks. Just a heads up...we've had mountain lions and black bears in our yard - 1 mile from town. Wyoming is a very small state as far as how news travels...very gossipy and difficult to overcome mistakes.

Positives: low crime, no state income tax, very few "cookie cutter" developments, good roads, schools, medical, not overly policed, but there if you need them.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
I don't think cost of living in Wyoming is low. Our groceries are expensive, as is our gas and in Cody - housing is ridiculously expensive...not in line with pay (google).
Yep, I get this now darlin'. Wyoming is similar to New Hampshire in some ways it seems. Some poorer super-rural areas along with sections of the state that are very beautiful natural settings with wealthy people in second homes driving up the cost of living. Also, I see now how the very rugged setting and long-distances also increase the COL.

Anyway, the list of low unemployment states (IMHO) in the US is now down to just Nebraska and North Dakota.

Wyoming is at 5.0% for May '09. That means the true rate is bare-bones minimum of 10% IMHO. That is not low unemployment at all! This jibes with what the posters here are saying as well....

Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
Quote:
All of that is completely true. Still, the prospects for these jobs is better, on average, than the kid who goes to get some four-year liberal arts degree, comes out of school packing around a whoppin' large student loan with no marketable skills. When I'm asked to tell people what to aim at, it ain't art history or comparative literature.

The other thing about these skills is that one can, with work, pick them up without forking over a huge amount of money to learn them. Bang:buck ratio on these skills is much higher than most other jobs these days.

And even if our Fearless Leaders, none of whom seems to have the foggiest notion of the laws of thermodynamics, get their way -- these sorts of skills will be in demand as we go thundering down the dead-end road of "alternative energy," chasing unicorns that crap Skittles as they jump over rainbows that appear on sunny, cloudless days.

I mean, the alternatives are pretty grim. What is one going to do? Write grant proposals on how to choreograph the unicorns that crap skittles?
Great point Dave. IMHO kids entering college need to be better warned about going into debt for college degrees that don't provide financial returns/job skills. I know alot of people who are in financial trouble b/c of student loans and others (myself included) who have good jobs based on skills learned from a community college and carry very little student loan debt.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,425 times
IOWA is losing jobs like crazy and its getting worse everyday here, especially in the rural areas. Des Moines is a nightmare of a city and our Gov is bent on bankrupting our state. Many people are now selling out and leaving this state because of the out of control spending (much like California).

Old 06-26-2009, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,425 times
Default Thanks Darrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
I don't think cost of living in Wyoming is low. Our groceries are expensive, as is our gas and in Cody - housing is ridiculously expensive...not in line with pay (google) There was a snowstorm yesterday - enough to break trees and wreck gardens. The mature trees lean to the east as the winds ravage them from the west...and some are even bare on the west side. At times, I feel isolated and depressed when the winds are constant. I've lived in Lovell (predominate religious culture) and worland (very isolated). There are clicks as there are anywhere, but interestingly enough...very close minded and intolerant of different strokes for different folks. Just a heads up...we've had mountain lions and black bears in our yard - 1 mile from town. Wyoming is a very small state as far as how news travels...very gossipy and difficult to overcome mistakes.

Positives: low crime, no state income tax, very few "cookie cutter" developments, good roads, schools, medical, not overly policed, but there if you need them.
Darrow, your post is very interesting for someone like me. I have been looking at relocating to Wyoming to get away from the small minded clique's that I live around in rural Iowa. We have the exact same problem and I just cannot tolerate the small mindedness and rumor mill here. I was hoping Wyoming was different, but after reading your post, I guess its the same.

What about the larger areas like Casper or Laramie (I know Laramie is basically a college town)? Is there any areas that are accepting to new people? I am a single mom and I would really hate to go from one bad situation into another.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks much!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:06 PM

304 posts, read 904,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4freedom1 View Post
Darrow, your post is very interesting for someone like me. I have been looking at relocating to Wyoming to get away from the small minded clique's that I live around in rural Iowa. We have the exact same problem and I just cannot tolerate the small mindedness and rumor mill here. I was hoping Wyoming was different, but after reading your post, I guess its the same.

What about the larger areas like Casper or Laramie (I know Laramie is basically a college town)? Is there any areas that are accepting to new people? I am a single mom and I would really hate to go from one bad situation into another.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks much!
I think fresh starts are great - please don't get me wrong. Good things come of small communities as well. The largest Wyoming town I've lived in is Cody and I've basically lived just in the Basin, so I can't speak for Casper or Laramie. I had a hard time when I moved to Worland trying to fit in, but it worked out and I truly enjoyed living there - except it was 1 1/2 hours in each direction to get to a Walmart and a little too small for me. Worland also is more diverse in race, religion and had a black woman mayor that was fabulous! I'm a Wyomingite that welcomes change and diversity and that's tough for some...as maybe you've heard that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming