Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 PM

382 posts, read 936,492 times

Advertisements

There are jobs, if you are willing to work. you just have to look for them.

Last year you had to advertise to get employees, this year they are knocking on your door and that means most companies with openings do not have to advertise unless they need specialized skills. They have a stack of resumes waiting when the jobs open up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
Guys, thanks a lot for sharing!

I would like to know please, exactly where in Wyoming are the mining and gas/oil extractive industries located??

Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
The Casper paper today didn't have a lot of jobs for folks that weren't trained professionals ... less than half of the jobs posted, and they totaled only a page and a half worth of ads. The Cheyenne paper had less than a page worth of job ads, again ... not seeking general help.
Sunsprit, keep in mind, more and more employers post help wanted ads for less skilled/entry-level type positions in Craigslist, et al., rather than expensive newspaper classified ads.

Also, the pop. of Casper and Cheyenne total about 100,000 people or so, with a half page of help wanted ads in two newspapers.

In the Los Angeles Times, you get a half page of help wanted ads, and the market there is 12,000,000 people! Catch my drift??

A little bit more about me:

I was a self-employed mortgage broker for seven years in Boulder, CO. But that experience won't get you employed at a bank or at another mortgage company. Ultimately it's a career that requires to much of an extroverted outside sales type of personality for me put up with it. I might get back into it again someday if it makes sense. That was the only time in my life where I've made darn good money, and boy that was satisfying!

I also have a lot of knowledge/experience in the bicycling/sports science industry but that's another area with limited employment opportunities in many locations. Or you have to open your own business or bike shop.

I actually do have an undergraduate college degree. History. It has no utility whatsoever in terms of seeking gainful employment. I'd give it back if I could....

One thing about me. I'm one outdoorsy, tough son of a gun. I love the Rockies! I've watched 90 mpg gale winds pick me up (with 90 lb. backpack) and try to throw me right off the Continental Divide (Buchanan Pass, Labor Day '05, 3+ feet of fresh snow!). I'm pretty rugged and self-reliant, but I'm not a close-minded beer swillin' macho-man cowboy either. Snow don't scare me, nor craggy peaks, insane cold, or miles and miles to hike before a nauseous dinner at 11,000 feet. Black bears and mountain lions don't scare me (they will see you coming and get the he/l away long before you ever see them!).

Oh BTW, on that note, if I wanted to work at a mountaineering store or as a climbing guide in Wyoming, where would I go?

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 06-05-2009 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM

The Wyoming unemployment rate is now 4.5% for April 2009, up from 3.2% in November 2008.

After reading the unemployment report that just came out, I had to very considerably shorten my list of states in the US with genuinely low unemployment rates.

There are now only 3 states left on my list: Wyoming, Nebraska, and North Dakota.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Guys, thanks a lot for sharing!

I would like to know please, exactly where in Wyoming are the mining and gas/oil extractive industries located??
Here are some places to check for jobs in the energy business. As you wander the Internet, you'll discover more cities.

I don't know if the unemployment rate is up in Pinedale, but it was 1.5%. That's not bad. Check the news papers in Gillette, Rock Springs, and, perhaps surprising to some, Evanston.

The state employment office lists temp jobs. They often pay very decently.

Don't concern yourself with layoffs at the University of Wyoming. That's the government; and the government should cut back. In fact, government agencies have been ordered to cut their budgets by 10%.

Last, don't worry about the naysayers. If you make the effort, you'll find a job.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Well last year about this time the gillette paper would have about 300 help wanted ads and the rock springs rocket-miner would have over 100.This year its 30-50 in gillette and rocksprings sometimes doesnt hit double digits,and most of the jobs that are listed want experiance.That still doesnt mean you cant find a job,but employers arent desperate like they were.I think most of the big money/will train jobs are gone again but right now realestate is still pretty high so your cost of living is likely to be still pretty high.A lot of the people who came for the easy money will leave....eventually.Wyoming really isnt a place you should move to unless you 'want' to live there.I think its one of the best states in the country to live in but its not for everyone,which is why it has such a low population.
If employment without job skills is your main priority you 'may' still be able to get in on the boom in western north dakota,[though im not sure,but i still see ads trying to lure people in wyoming there].Getting a commercial drivers license would be a big plus too in securing a job in many places out west.
If you really dont care where you live you might drive to wamsutter,wyoming and check out prospects there as most people dont want to live there so they sometimes will take the less experianced...because they have to. goodluck

Old 06-05-2009, 10:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Sunsprit, keep in mind, more and more employers post help wanted ads for less skilled/entry-level type positions in Craigslist, et al., rather than expensive newspaper classified ads.

Also, the pop. of Casper and Cheyenne total about 100,000 people or so, with a half page of help wanted ads in two newspapers.

In the Los Angeles Times, you get a half page of help wanted ads, and the market there is 12,000,000 people! Catch my drift??

A little bit more about me:

I was a self-employed mortgage broker for seven years in Boulder, CO. But that experience won't get you employed at a bank or at another mortgage company. Ultimately it's a career that requires to much of an extroverted outside sales type of personality for me put up with it. I might get back into it again someday if it makes sense. That was the only time in my life where I've made darn good money, and boy that was satisfying!

I also have a lot of knowledge/experience in the bicycling/sports science industry but that's another area with limited employment opportunities in many locations. Or you have to open your own business or bike shop.

I actually do have an undergraduate college degree. History. It has no utility whatsoever in terms of seeking gainful employment. I'd give it back if I could....

One thing about me. I'm one outdoorsy, tough son of a gun. I love the Rockies! I've watched 90 mpg gale winds pick me up (with 90 lb. backpack) and try to throw me right off the Continental Divide (Buchanan Pass, Labor Day '05, 3+ feet of fresh snow!). I'm pretty rugged and self-reliant, but I'm not a close-minded beer swillin' macho-man cowboy either. Snow don't scare me, nor craggy peaks, insane cold, or miles and miles to hike before a nauseous dinner at 11,000 feet. Black bears and mountain lions don't scare me (they will see you coming and get the he/l away long before you ever see them!).

Oh BTW, on that note, if I wanted to work at a mountaineering store or as a climbing guide in Wyoming, where would I go?
Why do I get the feeling that you've intentionally mislead the thread about your background, experience, and educational credentials? What did you hope to accomplish by painting yourself as a totally different type of employee with a random skillset? And, at this point, are we really to believe that you've now posted truthfully?

In any event, had you posted what you're now posting in the first posting, I would have suggested that you look into a teaching job in Wyoming. Very much in demand, stable employment with benefits, and the pay scale is pretty good throughout the state. Good work hours, and you'd have time and access for your recreational pursuits. That History undergrad degree is far more valuable right now than you might think if you really want to come to Wyoming.

Thank you for the education about Craig'sList. I've got your drift ... but I also have been following the CL job postings there, as well as the Wyoming at Work site. If you're so knowledgeable about using this resource, you'd know that many of the Wyoming jobs listed now there are requiring experienced applicants ... even for restaurant help. Perhaps you've seen the IRG job for an assembler in the Jackson area ... that would fit your skillset from the bicycle shops, and give you access to a gorgeous portion of Wyoming for your recreation.

As others have observed, jobs ... in the sense of gainful employment ... are available to those who will work and appear ready and prepared to stay in Wyoming. But there's a difference between just having a job and having a livable income in much of Wyoming. Taxes may be low, but the overall cost of living here is not.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:20 AM

66 posts, read 152,990 times
Quote:
Obviously, it is limited. But I wouldn't necessarily say it's impossible, depending what types of careers you might be interested in doing. I don't think you're going to find a lot of these jobs in Wyoming, North Dakota, or Nebraska, but consider something in marketing. In a lot of cases they want a degree in marketing, communications, English, or "something similar." History is certainly closer to those degrees than, for example, anything in the sciences.

While looking around for a job, if you still have an interest in history, why not do some historical research and writing? (You have plenty of research material available at Google Book Search including quite a few primary sources.) What this will accomplish is to give some writing practice, which can be useful in a lot of positions. Even experienced writers continue practicing to keep themselves "sharp." If there is a job that interests you which requests writing samples, then you will have some samples readily available.

If you have web skills, you could set up a web site for your writing. If not, then just use one of the free blogging sites. (Over time you can customize the layout a bit.) Just make the "blog entries" into serious articles rather than the typical blog entry found on millions of personal blogs.

While something like this may seem like a wasted effort, it gets you thinking in a slightly different direction. That may in turn generate some ideas for potential career areas. Like I said, it may not lead you toward something in Wyoming, North Dakota, or Nebraska. However, there are other states that may not be the "cream of the crop" in terms of low unemployment yet may also not be some of the most expensive states to live in. You may find something with a happy medium. (As a New Yorker, I will warn you that New York is NOT one of those states I would consider to be a "happy medium." State government and local governments are addicted to unnecessary and wasteful spending. Young people and the affluent are leaving this state in droves. The tab for the unnecessary spending must be picked up by those who can't leave.)

Just a thought. Best of luck in your search.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Quote:
The Wyoming unemployment rate is now 4.5% for April 2009, up from 3.2% in November 2008.

After reading the unemployment report that just came out, I had to very considerably shorten my list of states in the US with genuinely low unemployment rates.

There are now only 3 states left on my list: Wyoming, Nebraska, and North Dakota.
Job hunters, keep in mind, especially when considering Wyoming and North Dakota for jobs, that while the unemployment rate may be relatively low, the actual number of job openings is too. The total population of both states is barely over one million -- less than the population of major U.S. cities. Therefore, it might be wise to compare unemployment rates of cities, if you have nothing against cities. I'm sure you'll find many with lower unemployment rates than either Wyoming or North Dakota.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:05 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
I suspect wyoming's 'low unemployment' is d/t the fact that so many workers here in the recent boom really aren't 'from' wyo to begin with - they just came here to work and have left when they got laid off/job ended.

Also, many of the towns with 'worker shortages' also have serious housing issues as well. the OP mentioned just renting a room - that is what everyone wants to do as well and even 'a room' was in serious short supply. It would seem to me the best thing to do would be live in a camp trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming