U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 24,219 times

Advertisements

I kind of worded it wrong we would not be puting the construction company or any thing like that in the city i ment that we have all the equipment to do all of the work at low cost.

If we did this there would be tons of advisement to let every one know it was there.

I was in WY in may but did not get the time to get down there when i go back in august i will go down there look around.

Thank you for your help every one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 AM

108 posts, read 281,562 times
Jeffrey City is a ghost town. When I drove around in 2007, I saw one well-maintained house. It was a weird sight - one nice house with a green lawn surrounded by decay. Almost everything else is boarded up and in a state of disrepair.

Here are a few photos I took:

Jeffrey City, WY

Google Street View:

Google Maps

Some more links:

Jeffrey City - Wyoming Ghost Town

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/17178491

Old 06-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the links some good photos.

Its kind of hard to put into words why i am interested in the city
i was in WY in may but did not get time to get by there when i get back to WY i will run by there after i see it in person i may change my mind LOL.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,301,117 times
Well i dont know if it would interest you or not but the town of st. marie,montana sounds like it might be more up your alley.Its in the middle of nowhere in northern montana,[it used to be housing for glasgow afb],and has a small number of restored homes standing right there among a large number of derelict,abandoned ones.It had a much higher population than jeffery city ever did and has a large number of large shop buildings,aircraft hangers and a large runway system.It kind of reminds me of jeffery city mutiplied by 10.Some stuff there is for sale,and there is a town,glasgow mt,within about 20 miles for groceries,etc so its not as isolated.....just something i thought might interest you.
I remember driving through jeffery city in the early '90's,it reminded me of an old twilight zone episode.Rows of empty mobile home pads,decaying boarded up townhouses,which werent very old,broken windows,empty streets.I used to always joke with my first wife that i intended to move there,she would always forcefully reply that i would be doing so alone.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well i dont know if it would interest you or not but the town of st. marie,montana sounds like it might be more up your alley.Its in the middle of nowhere in northern montana,[it used to be housing for glasgow afb],and has a small number of restored homes standing right there among a large number of derelict,abandoned ones.It had a much higher population than jeffery city ever did and has a large number of large shop buildings,aircraft hangers and a large runway system.It kind of reminds me of jeffery city mutiplied by 10.Some stuff there is for sale,and there is a town,glasgow mt,within about 20 miles for groceries,etc so its not as isolated.....just something i thought might interest you.
I remember driving through jeffery city in the early '90's,it reminded me of an old twilight zone episode.Rows of empty mobile home pads,decaying boarded up townhouses,which werent very old,broken windows,empty streets.I used to always joke with my first wife that i intended to move there,she would always forcefully reply that i would be doing so alone.
Thanks for the info i will have look in to that town.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,181 times
Default Trying to find info on Western Nuclear Mining Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
What kind of information are you looking for? I worked in the Western Nuclear uranium mines there in 1969-70, but lived in Lander, rode the company bus back and forth each day, an hour or so each way. I was as surveyor so got around quite a bit above and below ground but spent most of my time in the Golden Goose Mine, until a small cave-in broke my leg and I gave up mining.

Google images search for Jeffrey City, Wyoming turns up several photographs.

Google maps satellite view shows the Oregon Trail running not far North of the highway there, it runs more or less parallel to the highway.
My dad worked for Western Nuclear Mining at the Golden Goose in 1968 & 1969. We are attempting to get his work records but can't seem to find any contact information for the company. My dad passed away in 2003 from lung cancer so we are trying to file the RECA claim on his behalf but need verification of his work records. Any information that you can provide would be great.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 PM

14,557 posts, read 21,315,085 times
I already shared this information with kcchiefs_num1 in a PM but thought that others interested in Jeffrey City might find it interesting. There are some comprehensive historical accounts in some of the links below.

Quote:
I also worked at Western Nuclear at the Golden Goose Mine in 1969-1970. I didn't know that many of the miners there as I worked mostly with the survey crew. I don't have any of the information you need in my possession but I'm pretty good at searching the internet and found these hits that are helpful in terms of history.

Western Nuclear Inc - Jeffrey City, Wyoming (WY) | Company Profile

It sounds like Phelps-Dodge bought up at least part of Western Nuclear, here
Phelps Dodge: Information from Answers.com

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/rp/rphist.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
WMA Membership List

WESTERN NUCLEAR, INC.
Split Rock Mill
2 miles North, 22 Ore Road
P.O. Box 630
Jeffrey City, WY 82310
(307)544-2291 FAX (307)544-2291

Corporate Office
2801 Youngfield, Suite 340
Golden, CO 80401

(303)274-1767 FAX (303)274-1762
It appears they are still located in Golden, CO. See this Google map location.
. - Google Maps

http://www.city-data.com/businesses/...golden-co.html

This document lists several attorneys working for Western Nuclear.

http://slf-web.state.wy.us/LAND/wni/a.pdf

Decommissioning Projects - Wyoming, USA

Regarding proving employment, check his income tax records for W-2 forms from that time period. It is possible to recover copies of old tax forms from IRS, but I'm not sure if they include W-2 forms. As I recall Western Nuclear was obligated to keep records on each miner showing what parts of the mines he worked in and what the radon gas levels were in those areas. One of my best friends, John Thomas, was the guy who went around measuring those gas levels. If an individual miner received to much exposure the company was required to put him to work above ground or in other areas with low radon levels for a period of time. I am assuming that those records were required by Federal Law and had to be kept somewhere for a period of time.

You might be able to find information about that here: Compliance Assistance By Law - The Federal Mine Safety & Health Act (Mine Act) (http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-fmsha.htm - broken link)

or here: Operating a Business in Wyoming | Business.gov

You might try the Wyoming Department of Employment and see if they have records that go back that far. Home (http://doe.wyo.gov/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)

Quote:
More History: Jeffrey City, Wyoming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeffrey City was named after Dr. C. W. Jeffrey, a wealthy doctor from Rawlins, Wyoming, who initially financed the costs for prospector and businessman Bob Adams to start the Western Nuclear Corporation mining firm and open a Uranium mine near the area in 1957, during the cold war and the height of uranium demand[3].
Jeffrey City - Wyoming Ghost Town

This is a very comprehensive history of Home on the Range/Jeffrey City: http://www.sublette-se.org/files/jeffrey_city2.pdf It indicates that there is a Wyoming Mine Inspector who may have some information.

I see it also mentioned a miners union on Page 17. I don't recall being in a Union but perhaps it did not include surveyors, the Miners Union may be a source of employment records.

I hope some of this information is useful to you.

Regards, R

Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,214,125 times
always thought Jeffrey City would be a great place for a Prison, no place for any escape to go.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 PM

14,557 posts, read 21,315,085 times
Apparently they did try to sell that idea to the state at one time.

This historical document http://www.sublette-se.org/files/jeffrey_city2.pdf says the boosters of the city did promote it as a good site for a minimum security prison for some time.

Not sure why the plan failed, its sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 PM

18,084 posts, read 23,147,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
always thought Jeffrey City would be a great place for a Prison, no place for any escape to go.
Are you sure they wouldn't split like all the residents did?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming