Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 35,491 times

Advertisements

looking for photos and any info on Jeffrey City, Wyoming Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
What kind of information are you looking for? I worked in the Western Nuclear uranium mines there in 1969-70, but lived in Lander, rode the company bus back and forth each day, an hour or so each way. I was as surveyor so got around quite a bit above and below ground but spent most of my time in the Golden Goose Mine, until a small cave-in broke my leg and I gave up mining.

Google images search for Jeffrey City, Wyoming turns up several photographs.

Google maps satellite view shows the Oregon Trail running not far North of the highway there, it runs more or less parallel to the highway.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-05-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 06:10 PM

If you take Ore Road north out of Jeffrey City there are some huge open pit uranium mines that are pretty spectacular to see. You can see images of them on google maps.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:43 PM

I have seen some photos from there it seem i seen a few years ago they may try to sale the town or something like that.

Is there a down town area me and 2 other guys are moving to WY one of the guys has a construction company and i have a small video production
company.
I also have a small company that builds packaging frames that companys ship parts in all 3 of us have construction equipment we would like to fix up parts of the city a may bring about 50 jods there if every things worked out.

Looking for phone numbers and or ways to talk to some one there to see about lease or rent on some of the old buildings and gas stations.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 AM

63 posts, read 186,968 times
there is one gas station, one cafe/bar and about 25 people. There is a one room school with about 3-4 students. Outside of outdoor activities there is not much else to do. It is 60 miles from any grocery stores, and it is very windy and cold. You can buy stuff cheap, but all you workers will quit.

No body is moving to Jeffery City, except ranch hand and a variety of misfits. If you want more info just ask.

It is basically a ghost town. Most of the buildings are empty and boarded up. If the school numbers drop to zero they will close the school and most likely never get on back.

It used to have a thriving mining community, but that was 30 years ago. Its original name was Home of the Range, Wyoming.

A couple of avid falconers hae bought a house and spend a month or two hunting with their birds. There is not much to really recommend it

Last edited by Trouthead; 06-06-2009 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: more to say

Old 06-06-2009, 08:58 AM

Trouthead's description is pretty accurate. Its high plains desert, very dry and barren, not much grows there but some sagebrush. It looks like they added some streets since I was there years ago, and what look like trailer-house pads or hook ups. But not much there or around it to recommend the place.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Its kind of what we are looking for kind of hard to put into words what we would do with it but it would be a tourist attraction from mid april to september.

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:15 PM

It does have one thing going for it, its in the middle of nowhere, so people traveling through would stop to get gas, food, use restrooms and maybe see the sights if it seemed worthwhile.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:33 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
One of the realtors in riverton had the bar/cafe/gas station listed a while back,[I dont remember which one].I suppose since its the only business in town i would call there and ask them for info.I doubt that you would attract much business as a tourist attraction....and i'm not sure why anyone would wish to locate a construction company where no one is constructing anything in a 60-100 mile radius....but that up to you.I would think that the first step in such a plan would be to actually 'go'there and see if the reality meshes with your vision of what you wish to do.I suppose it would be a good location for shooting certain kinds of horror/sci-fi movies.I personally wouldnt locate a small manufacturing company in a town that had no k-12 school system and was 60 miles to a doctor or grocery store as you wont get anyone with a family to live there....but thats your call. goodluck

Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 AM

63 posts, read 186,968 times
There is not even a full service US post office any more. There is a Baptist Church, and one motel. The other part about being a spot people could stop, it is on a pretty minor route. Those traveling the interstate I80 and heading to Yellowstone and go all the way to Rock Spring and bypass JC.Those going to Casper never pass it. You have to be heading to Lander, Dubois and Yellowstone, and willing to go the slightly more scenic way to bother going through JC. The amount of people going past JC in a day is pretty small.

There are building for sale, but this is really a spot if you think is for you you have to see it in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming