U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 AM

610 posts, read 2,156,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Come to the yuppie capitol of the world, Burlington, VT. I can show you MANY bars where pot smoking drunks need to be carried to their cars. Stay out of bars if you don't approve! And no I don't smoke pot or drink....

BTW if all you can afford is the fleabag motel perhaps you shouldent be wasting your money on booze!
Just for the record, Wyoming never had a "yuppie" base. Yuppies are the "LL Bean" and "Cabela" crowd. Wyoming is a blue-jean crowd. These "mountain-hippies" pre-date the yups. They're the real-thing holdovers from the land-before-time. (the '60's) except they've all learned the value of BuckKnives, baling-wire and a Panama hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 11:34 PM

338 posts, read 500,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMom View Post
My husband and I both were looking to relocate to the west and wyoming caught our attention immediatly. We have two children ages 5 and 10 so community and small towns really appealled to us. We found a town out side of Laramie wyoming named Centennial and were appalled at what we witnessed there. Upon our arrival we had to change our hotel reservations from The Friendly motel to the Old Corral because of cleanliness issues. (much better by the way, at least the corrals rooms were clean and sanitary) We spent our time there, which the landscape was beautiful, at the small local school and talked with a few parents, whos only critizizem was the abundent Marajuana abuse as well as alcoholism. We couldn't believe at first but my husband and I spent a night at the local Century bar and that was the end of Centennial. My husband could openly smell marajuana being smoked somewhere when he went to the bathroom and the "locals" who seemed to drink until oblivian, couldnt even walk by them selves(they carried a short man to his car and he drove?!) what ever happened to bartenders being held accountable for over serving? Maybe because these bartenders were already visiably intoxicated.... All in all Centennial would be a nice place to drive the kids to see the mountains and ski but I would recomend anyone with children or not to Stay as far away as possible. Unless I guess your an alcoholic pot smoking LOSER.

WOW....

It's very hard to believe people were drinking in a bar, must have been a full moon out.. The pot smoke ???. Maybe, but is that something only done in Wyoming, and not Maine ???. The dirty motel room ??, I know, another "Wyoming Only" phenomenon...

I guess it is a good thing you are staying in perfect Maine (for now anyways) that way you will not have to be offended by drunk drivers, pot smokers, and dirty motel rooms... UH OH, wait a minute, better take a look at your crime link, you may have a problem..... A crime every 15 minutes, 43 seconds in Maine..... OOPS... Just don't look at the drunk driving or drug arrests and you may feel a little better, Although, with your major violent crimes suffering a 10.5% increase, you may want to invest in a firearm for protection from the "Not drunk or drugged" violent criminals in your area..... Just food for thought.... Here's the link, enjoy..... http://www.maine.gov/dps/cim/crime_i...05contents.htm

Old 06-15-2007, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,443 times
Smile Cool little mountain town

When I was 5, I lived in Albany..in one of the little hunting lodges attached to the restaraunt/bar. I went to school at Centennial school and it will ALWAYS and FOREVER be the most favorite place I have ever lived. We had 12 kids in the entire school, all the one on one help you could ask for, HOME-COOKED BREAKFAST & LUNCH...not the pre-made slop the other kids had to eat. I actually stumbled across this forum because I was feeling home-sick today and was trying to find some photos of Centennial & Albany (the old loge). If I could move my family back there today...I would do it in a heartbeat

I've moved around alot, currently I live in Sacramento (for the last 6 years). Get this....people get drunk in bars and smoke pot here too!! Imagine that! And guess what...when I lived in Nevada...they did those things there too! I'm thinking "mom" hasn't lived much other than a sheltered life?

Old 06-15-2007, 04:40 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,076,038 times
Yup, Centennial is still pretty wild so is Woods Landing for that matter. You can however, get the biggest and best dang steaks on the planet out there.

I remember when I was going to UW more than a few years ago, it was well know that pretty much every Sat night at the bar in Woods Landing there was a real gunfight out in the parking lot.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:36 AM

136 posts, read 418,957 times
uh oh... looks like we hit a nerve on this post...

Old 06-16-2007, 07:44 AM

610 posts, read 2,156,842 times
I love how we all get different perceptions of places. The originator of this thread, from Maine, made comments about potheads and beer drinkers in Wyoming, etc.
In the Rockies, most of the potheads I knew were from Maine! I will admit that they drank more tea than beer.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:52 AM

14 posts, read 60,155 times
In May we spent a week just outside Centennial at Winter Creek. We thought that was a marvelous place to stay as we drove around Wyoming. I think that Mainemom would have been thrilled if she'd stayed there. But then she might have been tempted to move out here like we are. And one transplant a month is the limit according to the Welcome Station in Riverside. (Come to think of it, the odor of herb was present in that bar too).

Here's to finding real people in real places. Glasses raised.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 AM

518 posts, read 1,373,809 times
That is why I love Wyoming so much, FREEDOM ! I hope people who don't believe in other folks having the freedom to do what they want, when they want, as long as they do not hurt others, will stay in places like Maine ,where I am sure all of the rules keep everyone clean and pure.

Yep Wyoming is an evil place , it's cold too, don't forget how cold it is, and windy too, oh and...........

Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,076,038 times
To judge Maine or Vermont based on one poster is no diferent than the prejudgemental comments Mainemom did about Centennial and Wyoming. Pretty lame. I have lived in Wyoming, Vermont and Maine and all three states are totally awesome in my book.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 AM

518 posts, read 1,373,809 times
Point well taken. And yes Maine as well as every state has places good and bad.
It is just that attitude that gets me so riled up !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming