Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 AM

28 posts, read 78,147 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from people who moved from the Chicagoland area to Wyoming. I have been reading about Michiganders moving to Wyoming for better job opportunities and I was wondering if there are Chicagoans moving there as well. I'm sick of this over-taxed hellhole with its crappy weather and corrupt political system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
I grew up near Chicago, but have been gone now for nearly forty years. I've spent the last seven in Wyoming. I love it. Surprisingly, I've only met one other person from northern Illinois. He's been here over twenty years and is certainly enjoying himself.

Will you enjoy yourself?

The weather is far better, particularly in the summer. High humidity is unknown here. Some parts of the state are much hotter than others, just as some areas are much colder in the winter. Some areas receive much more snow than Chicago, but some receive much less. You can, of course, get all this from city-data.com.

There is no state income tax and both sales tax and property tax are much lower than Illinois.

But the big difference is in the culture. I rarely travel to Chicago anymore, but when I'm there I notice that almost everyone seems to wish to present a certain image and to be seen and admired. I see gyms with plate glass windows, bars with big windows, and the people seem to swarm on the streets in away that I've never seen anywhere else. The image seems everything. They're also fatalistic, believing whatver happens happens. They also like rules and regulations for everything. The rules may be laws of the government or simply laws of the group, but they dare not disobey them.

Wyoming is as opposite as anyone could imagine. Even high school students seem to act more independently. There is far less concern for the opinions of others. There is far less reliance on government approved opinions.

People here are seldom fatalistic. Almost everyone seems to believe that they have a great degree of control over their lives.

You may love it; you may hate it. But if you come for a visit to anyplace but Jackson, which is atypical, you'll know within a week whether it's the place for you.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:41 AM

Default Thanks for the response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I grew up near Chicago, but have been gone now for nearly forty years. I've spent the last seven in Wyoming. I love it. Surprisingly, I've only met one other person from northern Illinois. He's been here over twenty years and is certainly enjoying himself.

Will you enjoy yourself?

The weather is far better, particularly in the summer. High humidity is unknown here. Some parts of the state are much hotter than others, just as some areas are much colder in the winter. Some areas receive much more snow than Chicago, but some receive much less. You can, of course, get all this from city-data.com.

There is no state income tax and both sales tax and property tax are much lower than Illinois.

But the big difference is in the culture. I rarely travel to Chicago anymore, but when I'm there I notice that almost everyone seems to wish to present a certain image and to be seen and admired. I see gyms with plate glass windows, bars with big windows, and the people seem to swarm on the streets in away that I've never seen anywhere else. The image seems everything. They're also fatalistic, believing whatver happens happens. They also like rules and regulations for everything. The rules may be laws of the government or simply laws of the group, but they dare not disobey them.

Wyoming is as opposite as anyone could imagine. Even high school students seem to act more independently. There is far less concern for the opinions of others. There is far less reliance on government approved opinions.

People here are seldom fatalistic. Almost everyone seems to believe that they have a great degree of control over their lives.

You may love it; you may hate it. But if you come for a visit to anyplace but Jackson, which is atypical, you'll know within a week whether it's the place for you.
Everything that is opposite of Chicago is exactly what I would like. I have an independent mind, to a point, but I wish to be even more self reliant. I am only here to care for aging parents. Also, I don't buy into any kind of image and don't care about proper Chicago "etiquette". I see you're in the Cody area, which is to where I may consider moving. I know about Jackson Hole pretty much being a tourist trap for wealthy northeasterns as well as Californians, so I have no desire to go there, unless of course I get lost getting to Yellowstone National Park. I was even looking at websites that allow one to purchase an existing business, but I haven't found much for Wyoming. I guess I have to take advantage of the low tax rates and open my own coffee shop. Trust me. I know about coffee and certain meats. After all, I have an italian mother who is an excellent cook.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM

Come to Cody and open a coffee shop that allows smoking; you'll make a bundle.

Good food is always welcome, too, as Wyoming has never been known for fine dining.

Right now, 7:20 A.M., the temperature is 52 with an expected high of 69.

I live west of Cody going towards Yellowstone. It's quiet, private, and so beautiful that it defies description.

I know moving old people is difficult, but you may wish to consider it. They could find company if they're mobile, and excellent caregivers if they're not. The people at medical facilities, long term care facilities, and the senior center are native English speakers and all White.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 AM

Default Coffee and Cigarettes, sign me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Come to Cody and open a coffee shop that allows smoking; you'll make a bundle.

Good food is always welcome, too, as Wyoming has never been known for fine dining.

Right now, 7:20 A.M., the temperature is 52 with an expected high of 69.

I live west of Cody going towards Yellowstone. It's quiet, private, and so beautiful that it defies description.

I know moving old people is difficult, but you may wish to consider it. They could find company if they're mobile, and excellent caregivers if they're not. The people at medical facilities, long term care facilities, and the senior center are native English speakers and all White.
No, I don't smoke, but don't care if others do. Just don't ask me to pay your doctor bills when you get sick. I'm sick of how violent and regulated Chicago has become and so would like to move, but getting my parents to relocate is like asking a snake to behave around children---it's against their nature. I have experience with exotic coffees--I'm italian after all, so I'm sure it's rare to see different blends in Wyoming. This state raised by interest at first due to its business friendly environment and it's my dream to open up a business. Thank you very much Happy. You seem to have that affect on people who read your posts.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM

I don't smoke either. But about 25% do. The only restaurant that still allows smoking here is in the Irma Hotel, and they seem to be keeping it in a smaller and smaller area. The Irma is one of the more expensive places here. But you don't need to work in the coffee shop. and I guarantee you there will be no problem hiring. They'll probably be lined up because plenty of restaurant staff smoke.

Do your parents travel? If so, why not bring them here for a visit in late July or August? It may be hotter than Chicago but it won't be humid. Sometimes people go instantly native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: