Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:45 AM

76 posts, read 259,091 times

Advertisements

Along with mineral rights you also have to consider water rights as well (something that is foreign to most outsiders). A chunk of property with good water rights can up the price big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 15,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadventurer View Post
But what so special about Wyoming? mineral rights? right-o.
There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of ordinary ranchers that were turned into millionaires over night because of mineral rights. In Wyoming, when you buy property, you only get the rights to the surface property, not what is underneath of it. Mineral rights are what is underneath that land. And if you haven't heard, there seems to be a lot of coal, oil, methane, and natural gas underneath our land. That is why a modular home on 16 acres with crummy views could easily fetch 400 thousand if the mineral rights are included.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septocaine_queen View Post
only 500 k people, amazing history, landscape, wildlife and the fact that it supplies about 40% of the energy that powers the US.
Please tell. I'm confused how mineral rights translates to energy production. And 40% of the nation's energy production in Wyoming seems awful high to me. The Tennessee Valley Authority accounts for some 20% or so, which would leave Wyoming producing half of the country's remaining energy needs. I don't recall Wyoming being covered with nuclear power plants or hydroelectric facilities. There is a sizeable mining presence there, but not much coal.

As for land costs, I think you can probably find some relative bargains in the eastern part of the state, but you will pay through the nose for anywhere within 50 miles of the Grand Tetons. And if that wasn't the case...if you could still get a ranch outside of Jackson at $2000 an acre...I'm ready to throw my money down for a 200-acre spread, sight unseen.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:18 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
(snip)

There is a sizeable mining presence there, but not much coal.

(snip) If you could still get a ranch outside of Jackson at $2000 an acre...I'm ready to throw my money down for a 200-acre spread, sight unseen.
You're kidding, right? Or are you just that ignorant about Wyoming?

If Campbell County was a Country, it would be the THIRD LARGEST exporter of COAL in the WORLD. And it's low sulfur coal, too, much higher quality than the stuff in the eastern USA coal seams. That's just one of the coal mining areas of Wyoming ....

And with your 200 acre-spread outside of Jackson ... you could run a cow or two most of the year. Water rights are a big deal in this part of the world, and if you don't have them, you may not have much grazing available. The land is simply not going to get the water that folks take for granted East of the Mississippi, with lush growth everywhere due to all the natural rainfall and a history of growth that turned into a huge deep layer of topsoil. A lot of the land around Jackson is rather rocky ....

Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You're kidding, right? Or are you just that ignorant about Wyoming?

If Campbell County was a Country, it would be the THIRD LARGEST exporter of COAL in the WORLD. And it's low sulfur coal, too, much higher quality than the stuff in the eastern USA coal seams. That's just one of the coal mining areas of Wyoming ....

And with your 200 acre-spread outside of Jackson ... you could run a cow or two most of the year. Water rights are a big deal in this part of the world, and if you don't have them, you may not have much grazing available. The land is simply not going to get the water that folks take for granted East of the Mississippi, with lush growth everywhere due to all the natural rainfall and a history of growth that turned into a huge deep layer of topsoil. A lot of the land around Jackson is rather rocky ....
I stand corrected on the coal output in Wyoming. I did some noodling around on the internet and the state is indeed the largest producer of coal among U.S. States. I'm a native easterner and when I think coal, I think West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky (No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 in coal production). When I think Wyoming, I have always thought of Uranium and Trona mining.

Even with the complete inability to run cattle or farm on my 200-acre spread outside Jackson, for $400k I would still buy it in a heartbeat. You're close to some beautiful country in northwest Wyoming, and to buy that kind of land in that kind of place would be something special. I'm used to living in places where that much money might buy you a single acre if you're lucky.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:37 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,662 times
I own some mineral rights on 2560 acres in Douglas WY. Oil at first then methane. Methane usually means coal

My step dad's folks out of Sheridan owned a big ranch--$600 grand a year for coal -that was there take--mineral rights

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
The Feds own over half the land, Don't know were $100/acre ground is but see some for as low $300-400/acre.... know were there a ranch with 2 miles of river, 3 miles of creeks , 688 acres, borders the forest for the lowly sum of 7 million....and it 60 miles from Jackson hole where you might get 20 acres for that much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming