Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,571 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what this building is, all fenced in by the railroad tracks? It looks quite ominous. Are they trying to keep people in there or out?
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc27310.php

What do people like to do in Casper when not working?

I'm looking for a nice quiet place to move to exercise and be healthy. I looked in Loveland, Colorado two years ago but it was too crowded there for me and expensive. The area I liked most was a rest stop just inside of Colorado from Wyoming. The air was sooo nice and fresh. Unfortunately I rushed through the trip, should have taken three times as long and looked through Wyoming.

Is Cheyenne a nicer place to live than is Casper? I'm concerned about living near an AFB as the one near here sprays trails through the air all day and all night.

Is there any possibility of building a passive solar home in Wyoming, considering the water rights and getting suitable land? I understand that getting permits for any kind of building in Wyoming is quite difficult, and also obtaining access to good water. I looked on the net for homes in Casper and most of them seem to be the manufactured kind and then still quite expensive for those. Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 10:43 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,619 times
Default Casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Can someone tell me what this building is, all fenced in by the railroad tracks? It looks quite ominous. Are they trying to keep people in there or out?

Is Cheyenne a nicer place to live than is Casper? I'm concerned about living near an AFB as the one near here sprays trails through the air all day and all night.

Is there any possibility of building a passive solar home in Wyoming, considering the water rights and getting suitable land? I understand that getting permits for any kind of building in Wyoming is quite difficult, and also obtaining access to good water. I looked on the net for homes in Casper and most of them seem to be the manufactured kind and then still quite expensive for those. Thanks for your comments.
Not sure what the building is. I've seen it but haven't looked to see what it was for.

Cheyenne and Casper are two totally different towns. Not sure if one is "nicer" than the other. It just depends on what you are looking for in a town.

As far as building a passive solar home - it is possible in WY. We have one. What do you mean though - "considering the water rights and getting suitable land"? Water rights have nothing to do with a passive solar home. It is far from difficult to get building permits in WY. It is very easy. Where I live (Platte County) it is $20.00 if you are building anything over 1000 sq. ft.

Housing is expensive in WY - almost everywhere.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:45 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times
The only thing I ever noticed about the AFB in Cheyenne is seeing people who were in their AF duds around town, or seeing caravans of trucks driving to or from the base.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:29 PM

254 posts, read 879,068 times
Quote:
I think that building is the new Boys & Girls Club, although I may be wrong---I haven't been on that side of town for quite a while....

Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
im not sure what the building is but i dont see whats so ominus about it either.on the other hand i have never figured out why people are afraid of the trails of steam that jet planes leave in their wake.its the black helicoptors that scare me.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,638 times
Default The building in question

It's the new Casper Humane Society building.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid19 View Post
It's the new Casper Humane Society building.
Madrid, thank you.
http://www.wnmcmurry.com/images/pic_humanesociety_side.gif (broken link)

MHT,
That is good to know about building permits. A friend who build a home there said the state owns all the water, and you have to connect to existing sources, which I guess is okay as long as the water is good and available. Land and water are not all that available and have a lot of restrictions on them in most of the places I have looked.

Imbobbbb,
Ominous because all the space with fence around and right next to the railroad tracks makes it look like an internment camp. That it's the Humane Society doesn't set at me ease.

Thanks much for all the responses.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:34 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Though I never saw it when it was done. From where it is setting. I think that is the Casper Humane Society Building.
The old one was terrible and in a small location for many years. This one was built with many garage sales, bake sales, donations ect. It sure is a nice one. They have a huge garage sale every spring. With donated stuff from everwhere. It is a good one to go to.
I lived in casper three different times over the years. It has a theater and symphony hall at the college. A ski lodge about 5 miles out of town. The fishing and hunting are very good. It has a huge hiking path through the town. The weather dictates alot of activities around wyoming. So you have to adapt to it. There are soccer fields, baseball fields, parks,ect. Many clubs and activities for families or just to be by your self there is room to do it.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,619 times
Default casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Madrid, thank you.
http://www.wnmcmurry.com/images/pic_humanesociety_side.gif (broken link)

MHT,
That is good to know about building permits. A friend who build a home there said the state owns all the water, and you have to connect to existing sources, which I guess is okay as long as the water is good and available. Land and water are not all that available and have a lot of restrictions on them in most of the places I have looked.

Imbobbbb,
Ominous because all the space with fence around and right next to the railroad tracks makes it look like an internment camp. That it's the Humane Society doesn't set at me ease.

Thanks much for all the responses.

I don't know your friend but their info is incorrect. If you are looking for property with water rights from a stream, etc. you may have a problem but not if you just want to drill a well for household use.
I don't understand why you are so concerned about the Humane Society looking like an "internment camp". It's probably fenced like that for two reasons. To keep any animals that may escape from their kennels in and to keep any vandals out. The space is to exersize the animals. What's ominous about it? I would rather they did this and kept the "inhabitants" safe than not. Especially with the railroad tracks so close.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:35 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
At the old humane society building in mills wyoming. It had the perimiter fence so close to the aminal cages and pens. Alot of the neighborhood kids teased the animals or threw rocks onto the top of the pens. They were metal sheets. And this would make the dogs bark. Eventually they would bark at anything. So I figure this is why the perimiter fence is around the new one so far out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming