Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 09:49 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Hint: It had to do with the State highways, and is described in the University of Wyoming, Associate Professor Phil Robert's history classes.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-16-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Hint: Red Scare & ______ _______

Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM

278 posts, read 606,006 times
Red Scare and Yellow stripes. The closing year of the 1950s saw the Wyoming legislature disregard federal regulations requiring white stripes on all interstate highways when Wyoming passed the Yellow Stripe Act. The act required ALL highway markings in the state be yellow on the premise that the color showed up better during snowstorms. The Federal Highway Commission settled the matter by ruling that all states must conform to white stripes or lose federal aid.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
... The closing year of the 1950s saw the Wyoming legislature disregard federal regulations requiring white stripes on all interstate highways....
INTERSTATE highways? There weren't many of those around in the 50s. U.S. highways maybe?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 PM

I wouldn't know, it was before my time..
This is what I could find on Wiki..The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, popularly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act (Public Law 84-627), was enacted on June 29, 1956, when Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law. With an original authorization of 25 billion dollars for the construction of 41,000 miles (66,000 km) of the Interstate Highway System supposedly over a 20-year period, it was the largest public works project in American history through that time.
In Wyoming,,,at the time still U.S. highways?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I was mistaken. It looks like there was about 28 miles of I-80 and 33 miles of I-25 completed in Wyoming by 1959. That's a surprise to me.
Wyoming @ AARoads - Interstate 80
Wyoming @ AARoads - Interstate 25

Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
Red Scare and Yellow stripes. The closing year of the 1950s saw the Wyoming legislature disregard federal regulations requiring white stripes on all interstate highways when Wyoming passed the Yellow Stripe Act. The act required ALL highway markings in the state be yellow on the premise that the color showed up better during snowstorms. The Federal Highway Commission settled the matter by ruling that all states must conform to white stripes or lose federal aid.
That is correct Poletop. Your turn. I agree with the argument that yellow stripes would show up better.

Quote:
http://uwacadweb.uwyo.edu/RobertsHis...ow_stripes.htm
History of Wyoming
The most celebrated non-issue of Hickey's administration was the media-charged demand from federal highway officials that Wyoming's highways be striped with white paint instead of the traditional yellow. In a larger symbolic display of state's rights, the Wyoming legislature ordered state highway officials not to comply, even at the risk of losing federal highway funds. The issue was eventually settled quietly.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM

Where can one currently find the National Collection of Heads and Horns on display?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM

This collection is acutally the property of the Boone and Crockett club, and is currently located in a museum in Wyoming.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM

I have been waiting for someone else to claim this one as it was easy to find. But since no one has, I will respond.

Quote:
Boone and Crockett Club | History - Records Program
By the end of Roosevelt's presidency, things were indeed looking bleak for many of the native big-game animals. Bison were reduced to a few hundred head, and whitetails and other big game were largely eliminated from the states east of the Mississippi. Many folks believed there could be no other final result of civilization's push west than the extinction of all big game. Even several prominent Club members such as William T. Hornaday and Madison Grant agreed with this dismal forecast. During the years of 1906-1922, Hornaday worked industriously to establish the National Collection of Heads and Horns at the Bronx Zoo in New York City.
Opened in a large building in 1922, the collection was dedicated to "...the vanishing big-game animals of the world." Today, the collection is the property of the Boone and Crockett Club and is, as of this writing, on display at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming. It includes many fine specimens such as the L.S. Chadwick Stone's sheep, acclaimed by many as the finest specimen of North American big game ever taken. It is an outstanding collection that will give much enjoyment to the hunter and other serious students of our native North American big game. More importantly, today it represents the outstanding success stories of modern game management and conservation that have restored our game populations to healthy levels that can be utilized in consumptive uses such as hunting, as well as just the plain enjoyment of watching these magnificent creatures in the wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming