Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 16,966 times

Advertisements

I moved to Casper a year ago from the east coast and I love it. The cost of living is less expensive, no state tax, laid back atmosphere, and wonderful weather! Bugs are almost nonexistent! I can actually grow a garden and not have to put insecticides on it. I loved Wyoming from the moment I set foot here last summer!

There are a few things that I don't like but the good outweighs the bad. I've tried to find a job here for a year and office jobs are hard to get and keep. The women in the office jobs are MEAN and lazy. I thought at first it was just me (although I usually get along well with people) but I have heard stories from transplants that are terrible. If the women on the east coast did some of the things they do here they would have been fired and had criminal charges filed. I hope some of you Wyoming women read this and get nice!....lol

We purchased a home here and the neighborhood is great! With one exception and it's not just us, the whole neighborhood had a problem with this one person but I just happen to live next door to this person. I have tried everything to be nice and get along but I suppose I'll just give up now and go about my business. I do have some questions for you all.

When bad weather comes and trees in someone else’s yard fall on your property and destroy your property whose job is it to clean the mess up and replace the damage caused by the tree? I’m trying to learn all the rules here. I know I have to clean the snow off of my sidewalk and keep the grass cut in the alley. If you guys can think of anything else I should be doing please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
Please post what town you live in.
I live in Gillette now. I spent 13 years in Billings before moving back to my native Wyoming. Most of what I posted stands for almost anywhere in Wyoming compared to Montana. Of course Jackson is in a world of its own, and I know that Cody is more expensive for some things due to tourism.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 AM

380 posts, read 1,145,189 times
Default casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenatl View Post
I moved to Casper a year ago from the east coast and I love it. The cost of living is less expensive, no state tax, laid back atmosphere, and wonderful weather! Bugs are almost nonexistent! I can actually grow a garden and not have to put insecticides on it. I loved Wyoming from the moment I set foot here last summer!

There are a few things that I don't like but the good outweighs the bad. I've tried to find a job here for a year and office jobs are hard to get and keep. The women in the office jobs are MEAN and lazy. I thought at first it was just me (although I usually get along well with people) but I have heard stories from transplants that are terrible. If the women on the east coast did some of the things they do here they would have been fired and had criminal charges filed. I hope some of you Wyoming women read this and get nice!....lol

We purchased a home here and the neighborhood is great! With one exception and it's not just us, the whole neighborhood had a problem with this one person but I just happen to live next door to this person. I have tried everything to be nice and get along but I suppose I'll just give up now and go about my business. I do have some questions for you all.

When bad weather comes and trees in someone else’s yard fall on your property and destroy your property whose job is it to clean the mess up and replace the damage caused by the tree? I’m trying to learn all the rules here. I know I have to clean the snow off of my sidewalk and keep the grass cut in the alley. If you guys can think of anything else I should be doing please let me know.
i use to live in casper for about 5 years before moving to sunny calif.
the wind sure does blow in casper. the deer in cody are so bad that if your just outside the downtown area, you can't grow a garden.
they need to get rid of the deer problem there in cody.
i have a cousin who lives in casper and an aunt there as well.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 AM

380 posts, read 1,145,189 times
When bad weather comes and trees in someone else’s yard fall on your property and destroy your property whose job is it to clean the mess up and replace the damage caused by the tree? I’m trying to learn all the rules here. I know I have to clean the snow off of my sidewalk and keep the grass cut in the alley. If you guys can think of anything else I should be doing please let me know.[/quote]

call a tree co. and ask them-or a landscaper they should know.
also call the city and explain. sorry bout your bad neighbor-hope all works out for you

Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I'm not an attorney, but I watch Judge Judy. I think if your neighbor's tree falls on your property, it's the neighbor's responsibility to clean it up and repair any damage it caused.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Sorry, side stepping for a bit. I'm a licensed contractor. Years ago I bid a building in Big Horn Wyoming. Guy said, I want it built here. Had to check with the "City Planner". He was drinking a pop at the local gas station. I possed the problem to him and explained that the guy wanted to build against the property line. He said" Well, I figure a person should build a building where the water runs off on his own ground." "Are you putting up rain gutter?" I told him yes. He said, "Then I guess you can build it up to about 6 inches from the property line."

Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I'm not an Lawyer. But if "Your Tree" falls on my property, you are at fault. Then again, if you share a 12pac of bud, we can discuss it.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,012 times
I am a long time insurance company employee and in almost every state when a tree falls and damages property it actually doesn't matter whos property the tree came from. If your house is damaged from a neighbors tree you have to fix your own house and make a claim on your policy. It is considered an "act of God" event. Most people assume that if the neighbors tree falls on your property it is their responsibility. It isn't. Lots of surprised homeowners when they learn how the rules work. Probably some damaged relationships I am sure. The one exception to the rule I have seen is that if the tree is dead, rotten or damaged by a storm and you have asked your neighbor in writing to remove it, and then it falls and damages your property it is then their responsibility. I know it doesn't seem like that is how it works but most people don't realize till it happens to them. Many times a huge windstorm can knock down even the largest and very healthy trees. You probably didn't plant the tree and unless you have some very magical powers you weren't responsible for the wind. I would make sure that Wyoming state laws are consistant with the rest of the states though just to make sure since I am not from Wyoming. I am waiting to hear on a position I put in for in Sheridan but for now I am very stuck in Michigan. Hope that helps.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'm not an Lawyer. But if "Your Tree" falls on my property, you are at fault. Then again, if you share a 12pac of bud, we can discuss it.
LOL - Oh ElkHunter, you are truly a Wyomingite. I laughed out loud because that exactly what my hubby might say.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 AM

309 posts, read 990,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I have to disagree with part of the last post. We moved from Billings back to Wyoming almost a year ago. Groceries are about the same here and gas is definitely cheaper here than in Billings. Also, the lack of state income tax here WAYYYYYYY outweighs no sales tax in Montana, and our property taxes are less here than in Montana. The biggest difference is that the pay in Wyoming is much higher than in Montana. We felt like we hit the lottery when we got our first paychecks here!
Sorry I have to disagree - Most folks particularly in Cody go to Billings to shop - a) it's cheaper; b) no sales tax; c) friendlier community; d) only mall for 500 miles.

Gas is slightly less in Wyoming in certain places, just not Cody or Powell. Flying J in Billings and Cenex in Laurel are less - with MT's exhorbitant fuel taxes to boot!

Cody grocery stores were the first places that charged lettuce per pound instead of per head, like everywhere else including Kalispell where I shop now.

Winter is a beetch everywhere, with that snaky dry snow going down the highway. WYDOT does a great job, MTDOT suks.

My property taxes are about the same - not much difference - house on 6 ac with water rights;

My vehicle tax is half of what I paid in WY.
My vehicle insurance is half of WY - I insure two nearly new trucks for the price of one.
Cost of resident licenses is about the same. More large game here than there.

Residents here are live and let live - don't bother me and I won't bother you. Very much self sufficient.

WY - they always stuck their nose in yours - too curious.
MT - fewer cops, less crime in many areas with higher speed limits.
WY - In Cody - far too many cops and crime is high for burglary, drugs, etc.

Pay is higher if your a driller or associated with oil, natural gas or gypsum rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming