U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,616 times
Unhappy caged in Florida

Hello,
My name is Pam and I have wanted to live in a small town for a very long time. I'm looking for a place that is close knit, friendly, and caring. I currently live in Florida and I feel like I have been caged up. I am not a city gir, or surfer, or beach bum. I love the country. There's not much of that here. If anyone can give me any ideas or oppinions about Wyoming, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sooo tired of the ocean. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM

1,828 posts, read 1,729,891 times
I'd say come out and spend 2 weeks and drive the state, you have small towns with Hospitals, like Afton ,Douglas, Lusk, to town were you will be and hour or 2 drive from one. There small town likr Cokeville that only have a truckstop, a bar and schools, you drive for anything else. There moutain Valleys, High basins, high deserts, High plains. Fir covered moutais and pine ridges with rolling prarrie. If you involved in anything state wide , the state is like one big town with very long streets...I lost a son 2 years ago, his obituart was put in a State wide Agricautural paper and I filled a orange box full of cards from around the State....

Unread 07-13-2009, 06:43 AM

304 posts, read 502,462 times
Hi Pamela,

Jody_wy gave you good advice about coming out for a couple of weeks. Wyoming is a big town with long streets and very close knit. The weather is unpredictable and can be hard to handle at times, but the sun most always shines in the clear sky and the mountain water is the best ever.

Unread 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 5,616 times
Thank you very much for your advise. I greatly appreciate it. Is there any places that you would suggest over another. I really would like to see the whole state, but that would take a while i'm sure.

Unread 07-16-2009, 08:26 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,968,829 times
Just returned from a western parks tour that included stops in Sheridan, Cody and Jackson Hole Wyoming. Sheridan is a delightful town with a beautiful main street and nice layout. Cody has a lot to offer as well, including some world class museums. Jackson Hole appeared to be a very upscale area. Its an internationally known tourist and vacation spot. We were traveling on a guided tour and obviously had a "tourist" exposure to the state, but I can say the folks were extremely friendly and the land has some incredible beauty. I'd check out Sheridan and Cody as first choices unless you're really well heeled for Jackson Hole. Just be sure you can take brutal winters for year round living. Best of luck.

Unread 07-16-2009, 09:06 PM

16,838 posts, read 19,579,793 times
Let's see. Not a city girl. Are you a "Rural" girl? Not talking country girl because your not indicating that. But Rural? Remote? If so, you'd probably be fit in to anywhere in Wyoming. Could fit in anywhere. Our biggest towns are only 60K and everything else is half that size. What are your interests, desires, wants?

Unread 07-17-2009, 08:31 PM

375 posts, read 686,481 times
Bring money if you plan to live in Park County. Most arrive with it and leave without it. Ask me how I know!

It's worse in Teton County - with only 3% of the county in private land possession - there's no such thing as inexpensive housing!

Unread 07-19-2009, 07:28 AM

309 posts, read 553,866 times
When I moved to Cody (early 90's) - you couldn't rent anything. You had to buy - so we bought an old worn out farm and fixed up the house. However, as much as I liked the area, the locals were too nosy about who and why we were there. I grew up in the oil patch - and was accustomed to interlopers, but my wife detested them and wouldn't put up with them.

We found our way into Powell - what a difference! We all had something in common - most of us had come from somewhere else! We still get cards and letters from them even to this last holiday.

After moving up to Montana for job security - we've hosted a number of Powell friends, some of whom have purchased summer homes on the lakes. One shopowner from Cody moved here because the weather was better for his COPD.

Unread 07-19-2009, 04:03 PM

1,828 posts, read 1,729,891 times
[SIZE=3]Sorry for your loss …[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Lets Start say the Big Horn Basin, Major employer in most towns is the School district, Major religion probably LDS.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Cody… tourism, oil, Powell, Community college, Ag, Lovell Ag, Greybull AG. Ten Sleep Ag but pretty canyon and right up onto the mountain. Worland State boys School Ag, Thermopolis Worlds biggest hot springs (Neat town)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Jackson Hole, expensive, lots of outdoor activities, dinning …tourism [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Star Valley ( I live here) There are 12 communities, some just a LDS church house and post office, to Afton with a air plane factory and the high School, Thayne has a creamery, Freedom a hand gun plant. Employment –schools, Jackson Hole(60 miles) , Phosphate Mine, smaller scale Ag area.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Cokeville, Used to be the sheep capital of the USA, Ag[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Kemmerer, Coalmining [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Evanston, State hospital, Oil, Ag[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Mountain View and Lyman, Ag[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Green River , Trona mining[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Rock Springs ,Gas, coal mining , power plants[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Farson , Ag high desert[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Big Piney and Pinedale, Gas, Ag[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Dubois, ESA has killed their Timber, hunting and tourisms with wolves and grizzly bears [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Lander, nice place, Kind of Cheyenne west with a lot of State Gov jobs there, few Artist, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Next to the Reservation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Riverton, With drawn ag area from the Reservation, a lot of small town surrounding it, Great places too eat, big Ag area.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sheridan …pricy…pretty. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Buffalo , clicky, pretty[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Caper windy[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Rawlins , state pen , high desert. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Saratoga, neat area, some big money there, big ranches[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Laramie, college town[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Torrington, Lots of Ag[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Lusk , (looking at a ranch north of there) State women’s Pen[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Douglas, State fair grounds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sun Dance, Hullet, devils tower, Black hills, neat country[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Gillette , Energy Capital of the USA[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming