Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,682 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I've applied with WYDOT for positions in these 2 areas and would like to get as much information about them as possible. I lived in Cheyenne for 5 years in the late 70's and have always loved Wyoming.I was down in Laramie a couple weeks ago helping my son get set up at Wyotech and that gave me a push to start looking. My wife and I have decided we want to return to the west and with construction being so bad in New England I'm applying in several western states. Thanks for ant input you can give
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,644 posts, read 57,702,312 times
I'd do Burgess in a Heart-beat. Closer to Laramie... (a Tad, maybe... maybe not, just looking for an excuse to convince the wife to live at WY's 'north pole') but it is Mountains, and Sundance is prairie. (I do like the prairie, but think a few years in Burgess would be great). The difference in snow levels will measured in many feet !, so I think your work will be quite different, but summers will be really nice in Burgess! (the short 2 months of summer that you will get )

One benefit of Sundance is the proximity to SD, if you have social, career for wife, or shopping needs this might be best. If you want to be a recluse and enjoy nature, Burgess.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-13-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,014,054 times
Am I missing something here?

Burgess Jct is in the hills west of Sheridan and Sundance is at the edge of the Black Hills Nat'l Forest.
Burgess is definitely more mountain country, but Sundance is in the hills, too, as far as road conditions, winter durations, and road maintenance issues.

Both are in the north of Wyoming ... one, north central, and the other, north east. Either way, you'll be traveling a lot for shopping and community beyond the few locals.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:34 PM

3,641 posts, read 6,245,940 times
Burgess Jct is on top of the Big Horns....

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM

304 posts, read 902,678 times
Sundance won't be as isolated. Either area is beyond beautiful.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,171,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Burgess Jct is on top of the Big Horns....
And that's no exaggeration. You can count on snow every month of the year. It's not a town, just a junction with a big motel, restaurant, gas, etc. They rent snowmobiles in the winter. Elevation is 8300 feet.

Sundance is a nice little ranching town about 30 miles west of Spearfish, SD. I like Sundance. Elevation 4750 feet -- about the same as Gillette, Moorcroft and other prairie towns in NE Wyoming, but it is considered in the northern Black Hills, and there's considerable national forest areas around the town. Being on I-90, travel to Gillette (60 miles), Spearfish or Rapid City (70 miles) isn't usually much of a chore.

While Burgess Jct. would be a nice place to spend a summer, I'd much prefer Sundance for extended living.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,941,801 times
Burgess Jct is down the road a piece. I would love to work there. But like previously mentioned, winters can be rough at that altitude. Sundance is within 30 miles or so of good shopping, college, and such. Burgess is about 60 miles from nowhere. Then you turn left. haha Really beautiful country but not recommended to raise a family.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:21 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,014,054 times
In considering either location, you'd best be looking for housing availability and affordability before making a decision.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,644 posts, read 57,702,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
In considering either location, you'd best be looking for housing availability and affordability before making a decision.
true... and good point~! a teepee would be really tough in either location. (and commuting is out of question for Burgess, I would have to guess that WYDOT has some housing provided there, as I wouldn't expect to find a rental, or a place for sale, you definately don't want to commit to driving from nearest town !! that could take most of your day in some weather.)

It sounds like the 'family' might be raised, so definately a good idea to find out what the wife might be planning on doing if working in Burgess Jct. I doubt if there is much 'connectivity' and as mentioned it is a 'crossroads' with just a motel, diner, gas (all one operation if I remember correctly). No library, shopping, grocery... Would be a tough place for someone with a high social need. There is a thread on this forum about the couple that lived nearby (I think) and used snowcats to get in and out in the winter. Search snowcat and there were some pics that will give you a clue of the terrain. (I can't seem to cough it up)

Sundance does have some smaller hills and light forest, but my weekly driving experience found winters to be pretty light there compared to tall mtns and heavy forest. it would be rare to have more than 1ft of snow on the ground in Sundance, (but much more wind / horizontal snow) where it would be rare to have less than 4' in Burgess Jct. The beautiful meadows with 3' tall grass and meandering streams leave a lasting impression of Burgess Jct, but I've never "wintered" there. Bring a lot of cases of soup.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,619 times
Dadio I am a Maintenance Forman for WYDOT... The same Job you put in for. If you have any guestions you can send me a msg and i will try to answer it. Sundance would be a much better choice unless you REALLY like plowing snow and being very isolated. But you would get your share of plowing snow in sundance too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming