Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM

357 posts, read 1,607,078 times

Advertisements

The thing that people who have never been around lions need to remember is this: They like to attack from behind you or off your rear quarter. They want to go for your head and neck, or where the neck joins your shoulders. They don't like to make a full frontal confrontation, and if confronted and given a way out, they often will back down.

The folks who don't look behind themselves often are the best targets for cats.

The other thing we'd do in Nevada, where we had a lot of high rocky terrain when chukar hunting was to look up. Look up into the rimrock above you, look up and around the next bend in the trail, look up into trees over your path. More than once, I would look up and ahead and see a kitty nose peering down at me - they'd be long gone by the time I got there, but they were certainly scoping me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,818,962 times
That day, when we got back into town, I went to the local gun store and purchased a S&W 500. I figured I might only get once change to shoot and if so, I wanted to take some meat off. [/quote]
How do you like your S$W .50cal hand cannon? I have been thinking I need another toy.
GL2

Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,889,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
That day, when we got back into town, I went to the local gun store and purchased a S&W 500. I figured I might only get once change to shoot and if so, I wanted to take some meat off.
How do you like your S$W .50cal hand cannon? I have been thinking I need another toy.
GL2[/quote]

I have since, sold it. However, it was outstanding. Less recoil then a 44 mag. The 500 already has muzzle break so it's smooth. I was really surprised at how well it shot. A friend of mine is a 44 mag nut. He's got a 4 inch barrel, a 6 inch barrel, an 8 in barrel with muzzle break and we took all of them out behind the house and shot them. He was surprised enough that he sold one of his 44 mags and bought a 500 exactly like mine.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 AM

400 posts, read 945,511 times
Mountain Lion attacks seem most common in California, too many people pushing into the only area they have left. However, I wouldn't go hiking anywhere in Wyo without something in my hand. And like everyone else has said, pay attention to what's around you. Also make some noise while you're out there, talking, whistling or something. This way you won't spook anything up. If the bears and whatnot hear you coming they will get out of your way. I would honestly be more concerned about getting between a mother bear and her cub or a cow moose and her calf, that would not be pretty.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomama2 View Post
Mountain Lion attacks seem most common in California, too many people pushing into the only area they have left. However, I wouldn't go hiking anywhere in Wyo without something in my hand. And like everyone else has said, pay attention to what's around you. Also make some noise while you're out there, talking, whistling or something. This way you won't spook anything up. If the bears and whatnot hear you coming they will get out of your way. I would honestly be more concerned about getting between a mother bear and her cub or a cow moose and her calf, that would not be pretty.
You are right. But a bit of trivia. What animal is responsible for more deaths in Wyoming then any other animal?

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Buffalo are the number one killer.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 AM

Well geez Elk you could have let me answer that! LOL

Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 AM

97 posts, read 183,039 times
Yep, and moose kill more people in Alaska than bears.

When I was a kid growing up in the foothills of northern California, a mountain lion killed to of my neighbors labs at once. That sucked.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM

I have a friend that hunts lions, using bloodhounds. A couple months ago, instead of treeing a she lion, one of his younger dogs chased her into a cave and then followed. Because he went in, so did the other two dogs. They cornered the lion and the lion tore into two of the dogs. My friend had to belly crawl into the dark cave and take care of the lion. He nursed both dogs for over a month before they could get up and move around. After they started moving, they recovered rapidly. I was out there the other day and other then the scar's, you couldn't tell anything was wrong.

The true test will be when he uses those two dogs again.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:19 PM

A friend of ours lost a hound when the lion jumped out of the tree and attacked it. He ended up taking out the lion with his knife and got a torn up shoulder in the process. Had to shoot the hound . He said it just made it taste better, and I'd have to agree. Cat, the other white meat!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,196,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8290 View Post
IMO, the best defense would be a large and powerful dog that can defend a person. Lions do not want a fight, they'll run if they get into one. A good dog can put up a serious challenge, serious enough that the lion will likely run away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Having a large dog that isn't a coward is, IMO, an absolute necessity when hiking or camping.
Taking a dog into cougar country and allowing it to run loose may have the opposite effect by attracting the big cat and costing the dog its life. Cougars view dogs as prey, and are very fond of eating them. Many times dogs have protected their masters life from predator attack, often at the cost of their own, because the predator will focus on the dog and ignore the human. It is human nature for a dog owner to state that he has a dog so big, mean and strong, that it can tear apart anything alive. Not so. The dog victories over cougars have always involved cats that were under a hundred pounds, underweight females or sub adult males in bad shape, often well under that, often smaller than the dog. Against an adult tom of at least average size, no dog would have a chance one on one. Adult toms weigh 120-180 pounds, with most 60kg-70kg (132-154 lb.). Cougars may be deterred by dogs because dogs are associated with humans, and humans are to be feared, and because they are stealth hunters and may become unnerved if they are discoved by a barking dog. Cougar/dog interactions are wildly erratic and unpredicatable. Cougars have been chased and treed by a single dog one quarter the size of the cat, one that the cougar could have kiiled with the greatest of ease. On the other hand, cougars have gone through a pack of tracking hounds like a buzzsaw, killing and maiming dogs, and have easily killed large, powerful breeds of dogs in acts of predation. Were it my decision to make, would not take a dog of any size or breed into cougar country, but if I did, would keep it leashed and close to me at all times. Can substitute wolf or grizzly country for cougar and would have the same opinion, in fact, even more so in wolf territory, but that is another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming