Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,217,720 times

Advertisements

As I've said before, I feel Gillette is a great place to live. We made lots of good friends there and drugs/alcohol had absolutely no influence on us. They are everywhere! You just have to stay away from the influences. Cost of living there was what we felt to be very reasonable. Yes, housing was more costly, but the income more than made up for that. We made more headway financially in 3 years than we had in the prior 20 or so years! I stand behind my opinion that Gillette is a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,712 times
We've lived in Gillette since 1981, and the experience has been mostly positive. I am originally from Minnesota, and my first impression was, "where are the trees???" So when we were able to buy a house, the first thing we started is plant trees. We have a very nice, shady yard now.
The climate is fine for me -- mostly milder winters than Minnesota or east-river South Dakota, and low humidity in the summer! That's a huge plus!
Housing is now pretty reasonable. A couple years ago it was crazy -- not enough places for rent or sale, so people were living in campers wherever they could. Now there are lots of new apartment buildings, and quite a few are advertising that pets are OK. We own our home and have three big dogs, no problem at all.
Hastings is the only bookstore, and it's fine, but I also order from Amazon quite frequently.
Shopping isn't the greatest -- but I count it as fun to drive to Casper or Rapid City or even Sioux Falls to shop and visit. And there's always the internet!
Schools are great -- bigger budgets than most places, and good teachers. Lots of opportunities in sports and the arts and academics. The Wyoming Hathaway Scholarship has enabled my youngest son to attend a Wyoming college with no loans as of yet.
One of the best things about moving to Gillette is that almost everybody is from someplace else. It's much, much easier to be the new kid here than it is in a small town in Minnesota or South Dakota or prob'ly anywhere else.
I don't feel insecure here at all. There are rougher parts of town, but I don't think I've ever felt threatened or in danger here at all. And I'm a wuss. Yes, it helps to hang out with two Boxers and a Great Dane when my husband is at work nights, and it might helps that he collects guns so we have a regular armory downstairs in the "gun room," but -- never been worried about security, so no issue.
I wouldn't say Gillette is booming now, but it's still growing and very busy. No shortage of apartments, and there are many opportunities to buy a home. We lucked out by buying ours during a "bust" time in the early 90's -- a HUD house, very cheap. And there are a few of those buys around now too.
All in all, I would say that you can make a pretty bright future for yourself here in Gillette. We moved here because this is where the jobs were, but we plan to stay and retire here.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 401 times
Default Have you retired yet?

We are looking at Gillette as a retirement location and was wondering how the medical is for Sr. citizens? Any issues with any clinics taking standard Medicare and a supplement insurance company?

Old 01-06-2024, 02:32 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspblu View Post
We are looking at Gillette as a retirement location and was wondering how the medical is for Sr. citizens? Any issues with any clinics taking standard Medicare and a supplement insurance company?

Since Covid happened most hospitals in rural areas tend to be short of staff.

Things still get done but you need to be pro-active with your health.

I think Gilette is ok but it's not for everyone. It's among the "less scenic" parts of Wyoming......

Old 01-06-2024, 03:31 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
It's 2024 and a lot has changed since 04-24-2007. So what's new in Gillette?

What do the original posters in here think now and are they still in Gillette?

Has your outlook living in Gillette in 2024 changed since you moved to Gillette and or moved out of Gillette now?

Old 01-06-2024, 06:42 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,284,543 times
Quote:
Year ago December spent a week in the Hospital, Pancreatitis (tried to eat itself) then passed a Gall stone while there. Got thing under control, then Surgery to remove gall Blatter. Doing great only thing was it was 3 weeks before I went on Medicare. But feel Campbell county heath did a great job. We ranch west of Devils tower, ranch is west edge of Black Hill then out onto the prairie. Coming from the mountains it takes some getting used to the prairie, but have learned to love it as much as the hills, mountains and desert. We do lot of shopping in Gillette Albertsons has a senior discount on Thursdays. There some good restaurants. We also go east for things too, Belle, Spearfish, Rapid City. Grand lid even go ice fishing on some of the lakes in Gillette in the winter, plus there always something going on at the Camplex.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
If concerned about medical access... Consider looking at Spearfish to Rapid City (while looking at Gillette area).

Are you VA medical eligible? (That makes a difference).

Where are you coming from?
Why Gillette?

Worth explaining, so you get solid guidance for your expectations.

It's good to fill in the missing details for a successful transition.

Gillette might be perfect, ... Or not. (Something else may be more suitable and desirable too)

Old 01-07-2024, 12:07 PM

3,443 posts, read 2,770,566 times
Gillette cuts against the grain.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:04 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
If this space mining goes forward there could be another boom:

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/01...e5tA%3D.UXPtrV

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/12...ar-innovation/

Old 01-07-2024, 04:06 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,284,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Thinks booming east and north east of Gillette right now , new fracking sand mine not far from Devils tower junction, And bentonite all over but mine just over line in Alzada, Mt booming right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming