Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:53 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,096,158 times

Advertisements

Chugwater's brand chili is highly forgettable, just well marketed.

You can stop in just off I-25 and get a bowl to go and judge for yourself.

But I wouldn't make it a point to stop there because of that ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,061,781 times
We went to the Chugwater chili cook off once. I would never go again. The chili tasting is fun but not when it's 80 degrees out and you're outside standing in the hot sun. Not a good combination in my opinion. I have to agree with sunsprit about the taste of Chugwater chili, it's not one that I even remember tasting, although I know I did.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,581,302 times
Earniefan and Sunsprit,
Thanks for the info regarding the chili in Chugwater. I knew that it was highly promoted, but didn't know anything of how good it was, since I hadn't tried it.

Perhaps someday I will, but now it will probably only be if I'm stopping there for something else and happen to be in the mood for chili. When I go through there, I usually have my kids with me, and they aren't usually in the mood for chili, so that's why we haven't tried it.

I happen to like the chili I make at home, so unless it's really exceptional, I will probably feel the same way you guys did about it. Thanks again for the heads up!

Old 04-30-2007, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 44,128 times
Default Chili

Where is the sense of adventure? I stopped in Chugwater for no other reason then to try the chili, kids and all. Several places in town serve the chili. Only one is the official store. It was closed the day we passed through town so we stopped in some grocery/dinner place--the name escapes me--with an extremely friendly hostess and ordered 1 bowel of chili and several spoons. My kids said, "Too spicy!' my wife said, "Well at least we know what all the fuss is about," and I said, "Not bad" and purchased a small jar of the chili mix to try at home, which was much better when I was able to control what went into the chili and how much chili powder to use. And now, because I stopped, I have a Chugwater Chili Story/Memory. You should consider getting one. It takes about 30 minutes, but makes for a wonderful memory for you and the family.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 44,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadgoon View Post
I'll be coming up to Wyoming next week. I'm interested in finding some good restaurants to eat at while I'm there. I have no real plans other than I'd like to visit Cheyenne, Casper, and Sheridan at least. I'll take suggestions from just about any city though. I'm looking for a good place to eat -- not the typical tourist traps -- but the places where the locals eat. Also, are there any local dishes I should try?
jdavid93225 suggested Vimbo's "Dusty Boots" Restaurant, 203 16th St., (307) 322-3725 in Wheatland. Having eaten there, I would recommend it for the experience. Food is average, but the place is priceless.

My two favorites in Cheyenne are the Italian restaurant L'Osteria Mondello, 1507 Stillwater Ave # D near Frontier Mall and Little Philly, 1121 W Lincolnway. Little Philly serves sub sandwhichs. Very tasty and a nice break from the chain sub shops.

In Sheridan it is The Empire Grill, 5 E Alger St.--they have some great desserts--Ole's Pizza & Spaghetti House, 1842 Sugarland Dr Ste 110, and Oliver's Bar & Grill 55 N. Main St.--one of the classier places in town.

Many people passing through Sheridan enjoy Wyoming's Rib and Chop House 856 Broadway St. because it is located in the Historic Sheridan Inn, an old hangout of Buffalo Bill Cody. It is always a nice place to eat for birthdays, anniversaries or some other special occassion. I was never a regular.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 PM

L'Osteria Mondello in Cheyenne? Been there 3 times: once for lunch, twice for dinner. They're experts at serving a mushy pasty substance that may have been intended to be pasta at one time. Their red sauce is almost as good as the Chef's in a can at the grocery store ....

I wouldn't go back if a Pizza Hut was nearby ... come to think of it, there is ... better food, better prices ..... and I don't like chain restaurants as a general rule.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-30-2007 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbb307 View Post
--with an extremely friendly hostess and ordered 1 bowel of chili and several spoons.
a highly appropo typo .... LOTF

Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Aside from the fact that the place is a dirty little dive, Little Philly is the greasiest food I've ever been served hands down anywhere, totally disgusting. Do yourself a favor and go to Parkway Pizza for a real east coast sub next time.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:32 AM

592 posts, read 2,241,298 times
Is the Cavelryman still open in Laramie ?
Also what are those two resteraunts in that small town up by Riverton? I think one was a steak house and one was italian ?
The miners delight in Atlantic City used to be great but not sure if it is still running.
Try the Kronskies in Rock Springs.
Also the Greeks in Rock Springs have a bake sale every once in a while that is a killer !
In Rock Springs, Lews has pretty good Chinese.
The ice cream in Farson is worth stoping for.
Wyomiles

Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Do you mean the Sand's?? (Lews)

The locals say Kronski's aren't what they used to be. I hope they're right cuz they aren't to great now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming