Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 AM

992 posts, read 2,363,876 times

Advertisements

Do you think that there are some people that are winter people and summer people?

I'm curious because I grew up in Illinois, until I was about 13, and moved to TX. Since then, I've been either in TX or AL, but have always wanted to live somewhere cold. It looks like I will be in about 38 days...

Anyhow, I have a cousin who grew up in Michigan, and as soon as she graduated college, she moved to Phoenix because she hated the cold. I could never understand why she'd want to leave the UP of MI because it really is lovely up there. This got me thinking that maybe there are some people that cannot stand living in either extreme, cold or hot. It seems to me that each year I spend in Houston the grumpier and more intolerant I get of the heat. I hope I don't get sick of the cold in Laramie, but you never know.

I think it's easier to warm up than cool down.

Laramie is much drier than Houston, so I have a question about ice. Will we face a lot of ice in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 AM

139 posts, read 468,417 times
I was born and raised in western North Carolina, which is as mild as it gets in the south in the middle of summer, I still remember days with 100 degree heat index and 100% humidity, but that was pretty extreme for that area. And believe it or not winters were pure hell, ice was a big problem (I owe that to the crappy job by NC-DOT)

I love it here in Laramie, it can get pretty warm but at least you can breathe. And I don't get the crazy sinus problems I had during winter in NC either. I've only spent one winter here and never had any trouble with ice, same when I lived in Gering, NE about 130 miles east. It's actually colder there in winter than here in Laramie, but the wind chill gets pretty crazy.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Sinuses!
We have battled massive allergies here, mostly mold.

I am very allergic to mold and have had 5 sinus infections this year alone.

My thermostat in my house RIGHT now is set at 79, but it's 84 in here w/ the A/C on. Gah!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,337,858 times
There are absolutely 'summer' and 'winter' people. I'm the latter, love the cold, snow, and everything that comes with it. I suffer through the summers (because I have to... came to Alaska this summer and still cooked with dozens of record breaking days). Those bright, sunny days in the summer when most people would think it'd be a great day to be outside, I'm trying to find the coldest place to survive the day. But when it's cold, overcast, rainy or snowy and everyone else is hidden away, that's when I love to get out and do things. I'll gladly deal with a little wet to not have to cook.

My wife was born and raised in Atlanta, and after just a few years around the Rockies, she doesn't want to live anywhere else. She doesn't like the cold Quite as much as me, nor hate the heat quite as much... but she really appreciates the different weather (humidity and temps).

Old 08-23-2009, 01:38 PM

I am sure I'll appreciate the cold and cool, after dealing with heat and humidity for years! I tell my husband to smack me if I ***** about Wyoming weather. Let's hope I don't have much to gripe about. I've heard the wind is brutal, and I've never dealt with terrible wind, unless it was during a hurricane and I've been through way too many of those.

I'm with you, Brian-I get tons of energy from the overcast, cool days. I LIVE for those down here. I love to get out and take walks and just get busy outside.

OOOhh I can't wait to get there!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:35 PM

139 posts, read 468,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I am sure I'll appreciate the cold and cool, after dealing with heat and humidity for years! I tell my husband to smack me if I ***** about Wyoming weather. Let's hope I don't have much to gripe about. I've heard the wind is brutal, and I've never dealt with terrible wind, unless it was during a hurricane and I've been through way too many of those.

I'm with you, Brian-I get tons of energy from the overcast, cool days. I LIVE for those down here. I love to get out and take walks and just get busy outside.

OOOhh I can't wait to get there!
I love low humidity slightly windy autumn days, where the temp might crack 45 degrees in mid-day and dips to between 25-30 degrees at night.

Wind? In Laramie it's not quite as bad as some other parts of the state, you have mountain ranges on the east and west that shield the area from some of that "cut you in two" winter wind. However when the wind or a storm system angles between the two ranges, it can act as a tunnel of sorts, which makes things interesting (oftentimes I have to go and retrieve the lids from my trash bins from the street or my neighbors lawn) When I lived in Western Nebraska (which is much more flat and open) the wind was insane. I wasn't used to 60-70 mph "gusts"....

Old 08-23-2009, 06:10 PM

739 posts, read 2,253,069 times
I live in Houston and summer here is an endless cycle of misery and suffering. I basically have bad acne, heat rash, overheating issues, electrolyte problems, and other skin problems all summer. I have to go to the dermatologist every 2 weeks for laser treatment for my acne and face problems and have liquid nitrogen sprayed on the extreme heat rash i get on my legs and arms.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:21 PM

76 posts, read 257,551 times
I absolutely believe it. I'm exactly like Brian - summer is misery for me. I love the cold and snow, I find nothing more comforting than working or playing outside in the snow all day, coming in and kicking the feet up with a nice warm drink and watching the snow continue to fall out the window. That's pure heaven for me. Can't stand summer except when its one of those cold dreary rainy days when most people hide out inside. Everybody claims I'm a polar bear because I'm constantly hot. Everyone else is running around in heavy coats and the most I put on is a light jacket, and even it I usually have half unbuttoned . I have a brand new heavy coat I bought several years ago and have never worn.

I'd never be able to handle living somewhere that the summers are worse than here .

Old 08-23-2009, 07:40 PM

25,215 posts, read 18,382,119 times
Here's another late autumn/winter/early spring type person! Up to about 60 or 65 I'm fine; the higher it gets above that, the more miserable I get. 100? Forget it. Time to stay inside. On the lower end, I don't care how cold it gets; just bundle up more as the temps go down!

I think my favorites are a snowy day in the 20's, a sunny day in the 20's, and a cloudy or slightly foggy day in the 30 - 45 degree range (probably my favorite--I love the flat light of a 'gloomy' day). I also love those clear, blue-sky days of late fall before the snows hits when there is a 'snap' in the air that tells you ski season is just around the corner! I like the light this time of year when the sun is further south and the shadows are longer--especially through the trees when they loose their leaves. Man! Now I can't wait. Another month or so and I can start enjoying the outdoors again rather than spending my time wiping sweat away...

Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,130,734 times
I like cool weather, but I think it's age (63) that's making me dislike the cold too. Hot weather just kills me. I didn't want to mow the lawn this morning because it was supposed to be sunny and in the high 90s today -- a shock to my grass that's already too long. So I've been waiting for the cool of the afternoon. Now it's too dark and still 84F. (I'll mow in the morning.)

The problem is that my wife is the opposite. She likes it hot -- mid-80s to mid-90s. We can both live with 75-85. We're hoping to sell our home soon and hit the road in our camper -- following the sun and 80 degree temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming