U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 PM

30 posts, read 55,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
Just a word of advice-- many of the locals have a very poor opinion of California. I'd suggest making your first stop the county clerk's office, where you can get Wyoming tags for your car. Otherwise the cops tend to stare at you.
Funny but true! I was out in WY last spring and I met a nice fella who wanted to get a closer look at my NY tags. I was getting out my license and he happened to notice my Trooper shield... We had a laugh but I told him the next 'bucking bronco' I saw when I got back to work was ALL MINE!

still not entirely sure what I was pulled over for.... lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:48 PM

380 posts, read 783,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
Funny but true! I was out in WY last spring and I met a nice fella who wanted to get a closer look at my NY tags. I was getting out my license and he happened to notice my Trooper shield... We had a laugh but I told him the next 'bucking bronco' I saw when I got back to work was ALL MINE!

still not entirely sure what I was pulled over for.... lol
lets see/he just happened to notice your trooper shield as you flashed it ito his face!

next bronco plate in New York/ did you get your fill yet?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:18 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,218,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Many people here, however, are not terribly fond of government employees of any kind. I certainly don't think highly of individuals whom I'm forced to support. Anyone who wishes to be a real member of the community here needs to have a real job.
So, people who work for government in things like law enforcement, corrections, county hospitals, county health departments, the local ambulance district, school districts, local water departments, county road departments and the like don't have "real jobs" and shouldn't be a member of the community? I think those folks would disagree. I'd like to see what your town and your life would be like if they all decided to quit and move out. First, you might just actually need those services that they are providing; and, second, I hate to tell you, but government is the major employer in most rural areas of the Rocky Mountain West. Swing a dead cat around your head in most any town in the region and you will hit a person who works for the government--maybe somebody in your own family or household . . .

By the way, one of those "nasty" government employees, a government employed and taxpayer paid paramedic, just saved a good friend's life last month. Not all government and not all government employees are bad.

Last edited by jazzlover; 09-06-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 02:53 PM

5,076 posts, read 4,147,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So, people who work for government in things like law enforcement, corrections, county hospitals, county health departments, the local ambulance district, school districts, local water departments, county road departments and the like don't have "real jobs" and shouldn't be a member of the community? I think those folks would disagree.

I'm sure that they'd disagree. In every election, proud welfare recipeients are out as well, campaigning for the candidate who best represents them.

I'd like to see what your town and your life would be like if they all decided to quit and move out.

It would be a better place.

First, you might just actually need those services that they are providing; and, second, I hate to tell you, but government is the major employer in most rural areas of the Rocky Mountain West. Swing a dead cat around your head in most any town in the region and you will hit a person who works for the government--maybe somebody in your own family or household . . .

Neither I nor anyone related to me has ever been supported by the government.

By the way, one of those "nasty" government employees, a government employed and taxpayer paid paramedic, just saved a good friend's life last month. Not all government and not all government employees are bad.

And obviously an employee of a private company could never do he same. You must love Obamacare.
Individuals and local groups can easily handle criminals. Privatized road systems would use private police. Civil disputes even now are frequently settled by a judge who is hired by both sides.

Few people should be in prisons. They should either never have been incarcerated or thy should have been executed. The few remaining could be rented to private parties.

Govrnment medical services will always be inferior to free enterprise. Check Cuba and North Korea.

There is no right to a free education. That's very recent and society did just fine before.

Some years ago California had a serious water shortage because of a drought. There were draconian water restrictions everywhere. Well, not quite everywhere. There were no restrictions of any kind in San Jose. San Jose had San Jose Waterworks, a private company.

Not everyone needs or desires the government to take care of us. And need does not create a right.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:59 PM

18,047 posts, read 23,044,204 times
Folks, let's get back on track please.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:09 PM

634 posts, read 896,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
I don't know for a fact, but I'm pretty confident you can live where you want to, based on the following:

5. Two-thirds of new-comers to Wyoming quit and move away within the first year, and the turn-over is even higher for WYDOC employees (I've heard many tales of new employees who quit the very first day).
Gosh, sixofone, where'd that statistic come from? I've never seen that. There is the joke that only 2 people predict the weather in Wyoming - weathermen and newcomers.

Anywho, fatmyke, I moved to WY over 15 years ago from CO and love it here.......sssshhhhhh. Don't tell just everybody. While we welcome newcomers wherever they are from, we don't want to become another overpopulated CA or CO.

The advantages to living in WY vs. Scottsbluff are definitely that we have no state income tax and our property taxes are MUCH lower than Nebraska. I have a friend whose mom lives in Scottsbluff and she pays nearly 3.5 times the property tax we do for the same priced property.

Our eating and shopping is limited - but that might change. My folks live in a CO town where a prison came in 13 years ago. They had limited eating and shopping, but that has changed with the prison. They now have major shopping chains, many local and chain eating places, etc.

Our schools are very good, many scoring above the national and state average on standardized tests. We have our share of mischievous teens - but no gangs or problems with teens on the same level as CA.

If you do end up here, I welcome you fatmyke!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM

144 posts, read 428,766 times
Wyolady--I saw that on the Cheyenne news about a year ago, But I can't recall the studt upon which the report was based.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 PM

6,921 posts, read 9,171,425 times
That's an amazing statistic if accurate. I'd imagine, with the high percentage of oil and gas and construction workers in Wyoming, that turn-over would be high, but that's hard to believe.

When I moved to Gillette 38 years ago it was supposed to be for "no more than five years". I didn't like the town. But it kept getting better.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 14,010 times
Thank you to all the helpful posters. My wife and i will be flying out there next month and i will be testing for Corrections. While we are out there we will be driving around the surrounding areas for housing.

While I understand the local pride of the area and the fear of it becoming another overpopulated CA...we are not your typical Californian's!HAHA But i guess you guys will have to be the judge of that!

I am prepaired for a slower pace, and the area we are from in CA isn't your typical Californian town most people imagine. I don't surf, I don't say "like" everyother word.

I do have a question as far as if there are any people in the area that share some of the same interests. I am a big gear head and love Hot Rods. I have an old hot rod and would love to meet people with the same interests.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM

634 posts, read 896,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatmyke View Post
I do have a question as far as if there are any people in the area that share some of the same interests. I am a big gear head and love Hot Rods. I have an old hot rod and would love to meet people with the same interests.
Oh my gosh - you must kidding!!! My hubby is a huge "gear head" and loves Hot Rods. It's our life. There are also many here who love Hot Rods. We less than 90 minutes from 2 different drag strips - one in Douglas and one in Kimball.

We are fairly close to many things "hot rodder". Goodguys in Loveland, CO in June, Kool Deadwood Nights in Deadwood, SD in August, many events in Scottsbluff, NE, Gering, NE, and even a car show next Saturday right here in Torrington. There's a car club here in Torrington and another one in Scottsbluff.

Feel free to IM me fatmyke. Hubby has a website of his cars, but I'm hesitant to post in this public forum. He'd be happy to introduce you to the hot rodder lifestyle in Eastern Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming