U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:36 PM

20 posts, read 28,357 times

Advertisements

Well, I think Cheyenne gets a bum-rap from all over the country. I went on vacation to Mount Rushmore last May and I loved the time I spent in Cheyenne on my way there. I think it has alot of potential it just needs someone who is willing to drop a fat load of cash on building a stadium and bringing in a team. Everything is BIG in Wyoming and I think the UFL could be BIG as well.

How about, just for fun lets list possible name for a "fantasy" Cheyenne team.

I'll start with....

Cheyenne Minners
Wyoming Wranglers
Cheyenne Cowboys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:58 PM

18,047 posts, read 23,044,204 times
I gotta step off topic here for a brief story that is kinda funny.

Several years ago, I was stationed in San Diego in the Navy. Wyoming UW's football team made it to whatever bowl they hold in San Diego just after the first of the year. (I don't keep up with football, can you tell??)

Anyhow, the big news was over 10,000 Wyoming residents, bought tickets. It was all over the news. A news reporter spotted an old wyoming cowboy setting up high in the bleachers. Kind of all by himself. So the reporter approached him with camera running. Said, Hi, can I ask you a few questions? Cowboy tipped his hat back and said, Sure. Reporter said, Your state must really support your college, over 10,000 tickets were bought from Wyoming Residents and they traveled all the way down here to the game. The old cowboy kinda smiled and said, "If you lived in Wyoming, You'd find just about any reason you could, to get out of there in January, for one reason or another.

The reporter was a sharp guy and come back with, "Well, the reason I asked is really to find out, Did you leave anybody home to watch the place?"

I'm not sure if Wyoming could, or would, support a team. Just not enough people. Cheyenne is a great place until winter really sets in. It would be the better choice because of the draw from the front range of Colorado. But the area around Cheyenne just doesn't have the people. Drive 100 miles North, East, West, and all you have are small towns. Anything over that and the people would be leary about traveling that far during the fall or winter.

I do know that there is standing room only at just about every high school game in the state. Our resident really support the kids.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Several years ago, I was stationed in San Diego in the Navy. Wyoming UW's football team made it to whatever bowl they hold in San Diego just after the first of the year. (I don't keep up with football, can you tell??)

Anyhow, the big news was over 10,000 Wyoming residents, bought tickets. It was all over the news. A news reporter spotted an old wyoming cowboy setting up high in the bleachers. Kind of all by himself. So the reporter approached him with camera running. Said, Hi, can I ask you a few questions? Cowboy tipped his hat back and said, Sure. Reporter said, Your state must really support your college, over 10,000 tickets were bought from Wyoming Residents and they traveled all the way down here to the game. The old cowboy kinda smiled and said, "If you lived in Wyoming, You'd find just about any reason you could, to get out of there in January, for one reason or another.

The reporter was a sharp guy and come back with, "Well, the reason I asked is really to find out, Did you leave anybody home to watch the place?"

I'm not sure if Wyoming could, or would, support a team. Just not enough people. Cheyenne is a great place until winter really sets in. It would be the better choice because of the draw from the front range of Colorado. But the area around Cheyenne just doesn't have the people. Drive 100 miles North, East, West, and all you have are small towns. Anything over that and the people would be leary about traveling that far during the fall or winter.

I do know that there is standing room only at just about every high school game in the state. Our resident really support the kids.
LOL!!! great story.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 PM

12 posts, read 55,179 times
Can Cheyenne support a team?

Before that question is addressed, I think we first should ask, "Will the UFL be around next year?"

There crowds thus far have been utterly dismal. (I.e., a couple of thousand in the stands even with lots of freebies distributed.)

Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 21,194,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Wow that is almost 2% of the state. 10,000 / 532,668 = .01877 Very impressive.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,269,495 times
Elk - the Pokes were in two Holiday Bowls in San Diego I think(?) in the late 80's. Can't remember who they played but they lost both games. Funny story!

No disrespect intended but playing outdoor pro football starting in October and it's success depends on people driving as Cheyenne is probably not big enough to support it alone is a for sure loser. Nothing wrong with discussing it tho.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 11-05-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumusO2 View Post
Can Cheyenne support a team?

Before that question is addressed, I think we first should ask, "Will the UFL be around next year?"

There crowds thus far have been utterly dismal. (I.e., a couple of thousand in the stands even with lots of freebies distributed.)
This is true, but the league has said next year is fully funded. With the addition of Hartford, a town that has been dying for a pro team of any kind I think it will improve in year two.

Check our www.uflaccess.com for more info.

I still think Cheyenne can have a team, it would take an owner with a lot of money that would be willing to spend a lot on advertising. Next season will be starting in September so the weather would be a little better.

And besides wouldn't it be cool to see Cheyenne playing Salt Lake City in year three......

Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 PM

New info for anyone interested.

Teams in United Football League

Hartford Colonials (New York team re-located)
Florida Tuskers (playing in Orlando
Las Vegas Locomotives
California Redwoods (moved to Sacramento and changing the name)

Two expansion teams coming on board this year.

Salt Lake City
Omaha or San Antino

So, UFL is around for second season, and I still think that Cheyenne can suport a team.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM

Just an update on the UFL. Omaha is in for this year and they are having a name the team contest. Hartford has the most season tickets sold, over 900 and the tickets have been on sale for only a week. I still think Cheyenne can support a team. So, this season there will be 5 teams.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM

OK, if Omaha can support a team Cheyenne can do it as well. Is there a compnay or business person that would be willing to put up the money? Would people in Cheyenne be willing to support a team other then the Broncos? I love rooting for the underdog and Cheyenne is just that. I'm thinking about starting a Cheyenne UFL football Facebook page, would anyone here get on board and support the idea?

This place can hold a football game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming