U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM
 
20 posts, read 28,341 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I post on another forum for the United Football League which starts play this October and I post the above question on that site and would like to see what all of you think. Can Cheyenne support a team? would the locals come out to a game if a pro UFL team came to town.

If we're going to talk about football in New Mexico why not Cheyenne? Someone had mentioned North Dakota a while back, could Wyoming support a team......or would they want to?

Eastern Division
New York
Florida
Connecticut

Central Division
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City
Birmingham

Mountian Division
Cheyenne
Salt lake
Albuquerque

Pacific Division
California
LasVegas
Los Angels

Just a thought.....

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-10-2009 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: You cannot recommend another site until you have a minimum of 10 posts to your account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,043 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Reputation: 11132
What kind of numbers are you talking about for support? Cheyenne is not that big of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 PM
 
20 posts, read 28,341 times
Reputation: 14
Well, the four other teams in the league will be playing at MLB stadiums and college football stadiums that could hold 40,000. I know Cheyenne is not that big of a town, but maybe 15,000 to 20,000. Would any of the Denver fans support a team in Cheyenne, and is there a stadium that could hold that size of a crowd in Cheyenne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,043 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Reputation: 11132
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbury View Post
Well, the four other teams in the league will be playing at MLB stadiums and college football stadiums that could hold 40,000. I know Cheyenne is not that big of a town, but maybe 15,000 to 20,000. Would any of the Denver fans support a team in Cheyenne, and is there a stadium that could hold that size of a crowd in Cheyenne?
No stadium that I know of. Nearest Wyoming stadium would be in Laramie which is the only college with a team. And Laramie is a bit of a drive taking weather into account. Not sure if any support would come out of the Denver area or not. Maybe Fort Collins and the Front Range.

In order to have Cheyenne hit a stadum with 20,000. One Third of the Town would have to attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Auburn
2,051 posts, read 2,197,338 times
Reputation: 909
Isn't there or wasn't there a semi pro team in casper the last few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Torrington
144 posts, read 428,502 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Isn't there or wasn't there a semi pro team in casper the last few years?
Casper has an indoor football franchise that seems to draw fairly well for a minor indoor franchise.

It's Not Just a Game...It's an EXPERIENCE!

I believe there is (or was??) s semi-pro or sandlot team in Cheyenne but they played all away games until recently due to the lack of a playing field. If I recall correctly, they were overjoyed to share a field with a high-school so that they could actually play in Cheyenne.

I don't see any way that Cheyenne could support a UFL franchise--Sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 10:58 PM
 
20 posts, read 28,341 times
Reputation: 14
What about a Junior college? Do they have a team and a field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Auburn
2,051 posts, read 2,197,338 times
Reputation: 909
How dose the Baseball team do for a crowd in Casper. Kmow The city of IF(Idaho Falls) Chuckers have kind of beat the sheet out ot the ghosts this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Torrington
144 posts, read 428,502 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbury View Post
What about a Junior college? Do they have a team and a field?
To the best of my knowledge, there is no Juco football anywhere in the state. If anyone is aware of a program, I will happily stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,580 posts, read 9,649,603 times
Reputation: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbury View Post
I post on another forum for the United Football League which starts play this October and I post the above question on that site and would like to see what all of you think. Can Cheyenne support a team? would the locals come out to a game if a pro UFL team came to town.

If we're going to talk about football in New Mexico why not Cheyenne? Someone had mentioned North Dakota a while back, could Wyoming support a team......or would they want to?

Eastern Division
New York
Florida
Connecticut

Central Division
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City
Birmingham

Mountian Division
Cheyenne
Salt lake
Albuquerque

Pacific Division
California
LasVegas
Los Angels

Just a thought.....

[Mod cut]


the Albuquerque area has more people than the state of Wyoming, I dont think it would work in Cheyenne. It MIGHT work in Albuquerque but it aint the real thing, Albuquerque residents are NFL fanatics so Im not too sure a minor league UFL team would get too much of a response here but you never know.

Our NBADL team here draws a very poor attendance, no one cares about minor league NBA basketball here, this is a college basketball town.


Cheyenne is way too small for the UFL, there are so many more larger cities with larger areas around to support a team, I'll name a few.


Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Albuquerque
Tucson
El Paso
Lubbock
Amarillo
Austin
San Antonio
Colorado Springs
Las Vegas
Boise
Birmingham
Baton Rouge
Little Rock
Norfolk
Richmond
Memphis
LA
Des Moines
Wichita
Omaha
Salt Lake City
Milwaukee
Louisville
Providence
Columbia,SC
Charleston
Raleigh
Mobile
Columbus
Hartford
Chattanooga
Knoxville
Lexington
Syracuse

and some of these teams probably would never get one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top